2007 supra

ross1

Jul 14, 2005
va
bluemax said:
Toyota is even playing around with a production all-wheel drive IS.

there already is, it's the the smaller numbered IS from this year

ross

bluemax

The Family Man
Mar 30, 2005
Orange County, CA
toyman1987 said:
OK I'll be the asshole here, seems like a bunch of MK3 owners want this 07 Supra to be built, what are you going to do, wait till 2030 and try to buy one for 3500 bucks:icon_conf :icon_conf :icon_conf :icon_conf

Actually............. I'm waiting for the new Supra and Skyline. I waited for the new Mustangs, I used to have one, but they seemed to be too cheaply made. If I am impressed, I'll pick one of those up. If not, than a used Carerra 4S might be in the works. Or just stick with what I have. Its only money.............

:icon_razz J/K, ROFLMAO

bluemax

The Family Man
Mar 30, 2005
Orange County, CA
ross1 said:
there already is, it's the the smaller numbered IS from this year

ross

Your right. Its in the 4 banger.
If it was in the 6 banger I might have got one. My sister has the original IS. Its a nice car, but not really performance minded. But Toyota might make a 8 cylinder IS to compete with the M3.

Neodeuccio

Addicted to boost...
Sep 30, 2006
Schenectady NY
RHDMK3 said:
:3d_frown: TRAITOR!!!:3d_frown: LOL!

If he's gonna leave Surpas for anything, the R34 GT-R is probably the best option out there. Those things are amazing... They're probably my second favorite car in the world...

RHDMK3

that's it!
Sep 30, 2006
Salem, Oregon
Yeah I know, the 34GTR is a helluva car. I personally wouldnt blame him. If I had about 50k USD laying around I'd go get one today.

1988SupraDreams

Mar 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
Why would they bring back the supra when they just got rid of the celica in 2003!? In my opinion The Toyota logo is going for more of a family car appeal nowadays. If there ever was another Performance car made by Toyota it would be under Lexus. Lexus is the Higher end. Scion is the Lower end. Toyota is the Family Car. I too would love to see another High Performance car come from Toyota.

Boost Lee

Bee Doo Bee Doo Bee Doo
Staff member
Sep 13, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
Sorry guys, just not going to happen.

From a company stand point, they are raking in millions and millions with their lineup right now. Does it target the "tuner" crowd or have gobs of horsepower? No. Does it appeal to the billions of people that want great gas mileage and a nice, clean looking car? YES.

As a big multi-billion dollar company, and as much as I hate to say it, I don't think Toyoda is in it to please the consumers, but to rather...make money.
Business is business.

Toyota has obviously got out of their tangled lineup of cars for years now.
Toyota focuses on great gas mileage, reliability and good prices.
Lexus focuses on high-end, typically high dollar, targetting the "luxury" fans.
and finally, Scion...I think it's very clear what is happening here...but yet, so many people don't want to get their head out of their ass and realize this...instead, just go by hearsay and cross their fingers that a new Supra will come back.
Scion was created to target and bring in what group of people?
People that want a customizable, cheap and "unique" car.
I think that as a tuner world in general, those 3 worlds pretty much cover it.

However, I think there were several people that DID nail one thing.
This "so called" Supra that is in the makings, if it does go on to production, plan for it to simply be a luxury Lexus with a ton-o-horsepower. Want to call it a Supra? Go for it...but deep down...we ALL know what Supra is.

(Think: Inline 6, Forced Induction Luxury Sports car).

Just my .02 ;)

-Jeff

KeithH

Mar 31, 2005
Portland, OR
Boost Lee said:
...but deep down...we ALL know what Supra is.

-Jeff

Jeff - I hate to burst your bubble but there were actually MORE Non-Turbo Supras made than Turbos. So the "Forced Induction" part is not what made a Supra a Supra.

From 1979 - 1986 there were over 200,000 Supras made - ALL NATURALLY ASPIRATED.

From 1987 - first year of the Turbos - to 1998 there were just over 80,000 Supras made. Even if we throw reality out the window and call all 80,000 of those Supras Turbo'd then there were still more NAs made.

What makes a Supra a Supra?

Inline 6
Hatchback
2-door
Electric Windows
Electric Locks
Luxury

tookwik4u89

Red T-shirt
Apr 6, 2005
Rockford, IL
Boost Lee said:
Sorry guys, just not going to happen.

From a company stand point, they are raking in millions and millions with their lineup right now. Does it target the "tuner" crowd or have gobs of horsepower? No. Does it appeal to the billions of people that want great gas mileage and a nice, clean looking car? YES.

As a big multi-billion dollar company, and as much as I hate to say it, I don't think Toyoda is in it to please the consumers, but to rather...make money.
Business is business.

Toyota has obviously got out of their tangled lineup of cars for years now.
Toyota focuses on great gas mileage, reliability and good prices.
Lexus focuses on high-end, typically high dollar, targetting the "luxury" fans.
and finally, Scion...I think it's very clear what is happening here...but yet, so many people don't want to get their head out of their ass and realize this...instead, just go by hearsay and cross their fingers that a new Supra will come back.
Scion was created to target and bring in what group of people?
People that want a customizable, cheap and "unique" car.
I think that as a tuner world in general, those 3 worlds pretty much cover it.

However, I think there were several people that DID nail one thing.
This "so called" Supra that is in the makings, if it does go on to production, plan for it to simply be a luxury Lexus with a ton-o-horsepower. Want to call it a Supra? Go for it...but deep down...we ALL know what Supra is.

Just my .02 ;)

-Jeff
Not to mention they are dumping truckloads of $$$$ into a new domination of the full size truck market with Tundra going big v8's, diesels, duallies.....and Nascar Nextel Cup Camry....next year should be interesting!

Boost Lee

Bee Doo Bee Doo Bee Doo
Staff member
Sep 13, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
Keith:

I, by ALL means, consider a Supra to be a Supra. The rarity and popularity of our cars comes from Turbo and N/A models. Let's just stop beating around the bush and understand that the "Turbo" models were directed more for a performance car as to the non-turbo that was a bit more affordable (No, I'm not exactly sure of how much a price difference there was...)

However, Don't think for ONE second that I'm not aware of our original ancestors (MKI & MKII Celica Supra's)...Celica XX in Japan.

Now, with that out of the way, exactly where in my post did I state that there were more Turbo models then N/A models? There's no argument on that, Keith...Which is why I'm still trying to figure out why you even threw that out to me...

but yes, If your point was to make sure that I knew there were more Naturally Aspirated Supra's...I'm aware. :)

Jeff

KeithH

Mar 31, 2005
Portland, OR
Your own post brought my reply. It just cheezes me off that so many people have this misunderstanding that for a Supra to be a Supra it must have a turbocharger, and I just wanted to set the record straight.

Boost Lee said:
...we ALL know what Supra is.

Just for arguement we'll ignore the MkIs and MkIIs - since those were technically Celica Supras and even Toyota didn't count any of the MkIs and only some of the MkIIs when they calculated the 15th anniversary in 1997.

Even counting just the MkIIIs and MkIVs not all Supras were forced induction. Sure, the ratio was a lot closer by not including the Is and IIs.

The Turbocharger did not define the Supra. That was my point.

I totally agree that the turbo models were geared (pun intended) more for performance - but that was not part of your post (or my reply).

Boost Lee

Bee Doo Bee Doo Bee Doo
Staff member
Sep 13, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
Keith:

I completely understand what you mean...

and at that, I'll apologize for specifying "Forced Induction" Supra's.
I was sort of hesitant to put it originally, but that was my ".02". ;)

Does the turbocharger define what a Supra was and IS today?
Of course not. It is so much more complicated than that.

Again, apologies if you felt heated by what I said...but even if ignorance was the case, well...we'll just leave it at that, because that wasn't the deal. ;)

ViR2

Supraniac
May 20, 2006
Lithuania
www.hpaddict.eu
born2drv said:
my gf works in a very wealthy area as a manager for a dry cleaners, he's a regular customer.... he pulls up in a new car everyday almost. many of the automakers come to him to evaluate their cars before they're shown anywhere. he said he drove the prototype of the new supra so i believe him.

u can believe whatever you like, i don't really care ;)

I dont want to offend u nor that guy, but hes telling obvious bullshit. Prototype car's are kept in secret till the last minute, and they dont let any journalists anyware close. So he's just trying to impress your girlfriend, or just he wants to think of him of beeing a "big playa" ir car industy

grsupra87

Let's go Pens!!
Would like to make one correction. Celicas were discontinued in the States 2006, not 2003. And it is still sold in other parts of the world (just like the MKIV Supra was for awhile). Not that it was all THAT impressive ( I had a 7th Gen that I traded in on my Si) but it and the MR-S were the last traces of any attempt by Toyota to offer a sport(ier) car.

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
ok i skimed threw and read most of this but i didnt see anyone say much about this.

am i the only one who doesnt want another supra to come out? it would most likely be ruind by a V8 or a V6 engine configuration. the way i see it the supra is an inline 6, turbo (twin or not), rear wheel drive, basicly 2 seater, that while quick, has almost all luxury features.

if the new supra came out while it might have the luxury features and be rear wheel drive. something bugs me about having a naturaly aspirated V8 in the engine bay.

i feel the same way about the newest skyline possibly having a V6 (idk whats going on with the skyline maybe its out already idk)

these cars belong with an Inline 6 turbo.