1UZ into my MKIII

illmatic357

in me soarer rip my mk3
Aug 2, 2005
Milwaukee
i have a sc400 and the power with just the apexi air intake is like crack almost lmao. ive gotten this car up to 150mph is a very smooth engine to work on to bad no 1 made mods for it. u shouldent turbo this block u should bulit 1 bad ass 1uz. this some S&S headers and a 4"exhaust with no cats and res u will be all good

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
i don't knwo fi you can do this i was told you could but it may be bs

is use 2 left reg mafodl and runt he trubos up front and weld on to them a colletor ??????

cjsupra90 said:
Well not exactly yet, but I am getting close. So many little odd and ends to figure out and take care of. I am trying to figure out a way to build headers without the motor being in the car. The clearance is so tight especially on the driver side cause of the steering shaft that I dont think that I would be able to take the headers in and out with the motor in the car, not to mention that Its going to be almost impossible to even get in there to tac all the tubes together if done in the car. I think that I need to go and get a basic front clip with no motor or anything, just the basic sheet metal and crossmember. It sucks not being able to put the car down for a few weeks to take car of a lot of these little odd and ends.

MmmBoost

DDS Performance
hey nash, i saw a site where a guy with his sc400 did that at first. then he couldnt get something to fit, and ended up making his own manifolds. they both faced forwards and the collector pipe joined the 2 where the turbo sat :)

cjsupra90

previously chris90na-t
Jun 11, 2005
Lakeland, FL
illmatic357 said:
i have a sc400 and the power with just the apexi air intake is like crack almost lmao. ive gotten this car up to 150mph is a very smooth engine to work on to bad no 1 made mods for it. u shouldent turbo this block u should bulit 1 bad ass 1uz. this some S&S headers and a 4"exhaust with no cats and res u will be all good

I've thought about the S&S headers, but dont want to spend the money only to find out that they dont fit... I talked with the guys at S&S and they said that they might fit and if they didn't that there wouldn't be a problem with returning them as long as they are still in NEW condition. To much hassle with shipping and waiting for money return in my opinion.

Turbo's on the stock motor is not a problem with a limit of about 10psi and a very accurate tune. Tuning is not going to be an issue being that I am running full stand alone. The later motors are problematic with forced induction cause toyota went to lighter (and therefor weaker) rods and pistons alone with higher compression. After all is said and done though, I probably wont actually turbo this motor but insted, use it as the mock up motor and once in and running N/A and the turbo components are all done (fit and finish) then I'll buy another motor and build it for forced induction.

cjsupra90

previously chris90na-t
Jun 11, 2005
Lakeland, FL
NashMan said:
i don't knwo fi you can do this i was told you could but it may be bs

is use 2 left reg mafodl and runt he trubos up front and weld on to them a colletor ??????

Nash, yeah something of that nature could be done, but they have to have a section cut on remade cause you can only turn them one way and the outlet faces down in the front which interfers with the A/C compressor on one side and the ALT. on the other. The other problem is that they are so poorly designed (from a flow standpoint) that it not worth the effort.

Building turbo manifolds is not the issue its the N/A headers that are the issue. I dont even want to put the motor in with the stock manifolds to begin with cause of thier poor design.

miekedmr

mkiii in hibernation
Jul 12, 2005
Upstate NY
Yeah, I noticed the manifold bolt patterns are the same front to back, so you could switch the sides and have them bolt up. I hadn't gone out yet to check what they interfere with when they're front facing though.
Maybe you could hack the flange off, flip it over, and weld it back on, so the outlet comes forward and upwards instead? I'd have to look.
The flow may not be so great, but it's going to be reaal tough to fit any kind of tube header in, and I like the sturdiness of cast mani's.

cjsupra90

previously chris90na-t
Jun 11, 2005
Lakeland, FL
miekedmr said:
Yeah, I noticed the manifold bolt patterns are the same front to back, so you could switch the sides and have them bolt up. I hadn't gone out yet to check what they interfere with when they're front facing though.
Maybe you could hack the flange off, flip it over, and weld it back on, so the outlet comes forward and upwards instead? I'd have to look.
The flow may not be so great, but it's going to be reaal tough to fit any kind of tube header in, and I like the sturdiness of cast mani's.

Yeah, you could do that but again, more hassle then its worth. The stock manifolds are not cast. They are regular old mild steel with a stainless flange ring and mild flanges. The flanges actuall float (not welded) on the manifold.. Still much easier to start with a blank flange and a box of weld-els.

cjsupra90

previously chris90na-t
Jun 11, 2005
Lakeland, FL
Its been slow around here, I have had a few other things come up that had to be taken care of in the past few weeks....

Anyways, just upgraded to AutoCAD 2007 and they have this neet little camera function so I figured I'd play around with it a bit. This actually the trigger wheel that I am having made to replace the stock crank trigger wheel.

if you click on the image it will take you to the animation

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
looking good bro, i would love to see this done. what rad are you going to use, the stock MKIII? and are you going to go with a dual exhaust or a y pipe to a 3+ inch?

cjsupra90

previously chris90na-t
Jun 11, 2005
Lakeland, FL
foreverpsycotic said:
looking good bro, i would love to see this done. what rad are you going to use, the stock MKIII? and are you going to go with a dual exhaust or a y pipe to a 3+ inch?

I just replied to your PM...

I am attempting to go dual on the exhaust, but thats the least of my worries and there is so many different options or routes to go with. I will worry about that last.

Rad wise, in the begining, probably just the stock MKIII unit as it seems to be working fine for the few cars in OZ and NZ that have done the swap already. After the turbos are ready to go on, then it will be most likely upgrades to a costum fitted race unit cause they work flawlessly and are dirt cheap compaired to any of the quality direct repacement MKIII units.

Stuff has been still kind of slow around here with progress and just got slower cause I lost my job last week (F'ing A'holes), so that has slowed down progess even worse plus we found out yesterday that we have one in the oven or well she has one in the oven if you know what I mean (damn I should have pulled out sooner)Just kidding It was sort of planed.... So being a Daddy soon is going to also probably slow this down, but I am hoping to atleast have the engine in and running/drivable before the child is born.

cjsupra90

previously chris90na-t
Jun 11, 2005
Lakeland, FL
IJ. said:
Congrats Dad!! :)

LOL, thanks Ian. I cant wait to be honest

Im kinda scared though... Not of being a dad, but the fact that twins run in her family and I dont know if i want two for the price of one. I like bargens and all, but thats one that I dont know if I want especailly if it happens to be girls. (better be boys damn-it) Dont let Rachel know I said that. She'll kill me....

cjsupra90

previously chris90na-t
Jun 11, 2005
Lakeland, FL
foreverpsycotic said:
congrats bro. the mkiii can wait, that kid needs everything you can give 'em.

Thanks man, and oh will he or she or they get it, between Rachel and I and both of out families, no matter what turns out, he, she, they will be spoiled rotton.