Woo! Head Gasket Boom Boom! Yeah!

plaaya69

87T Supra
Nov 18, 2006
Lake County, IL
Yes I also think that $170 is too much. when I had my head done I paid $70 but thats because I had everything installed on the head(camshafts, timing gears, timing plate, egr cooler, ect...). If I had taken the camshafts out and everything off of the head then it only would have been $40 and they did a very good job and it will soon be ready for a mhg. Look around or try some other places because Im sure that you will find something cheaper.

theKnifeArtist

Fire on High!
Apr 6, 2006
North Jersey
tte said:
Yes you can leave the valves in place because the valves sit lower than the gasket surface.

wouldn't that mean i have to take it them out? the guy i talked to said i have to take the cams out...that would mean the valves have to come out too right?

theKnifeArtist

Fire on High!
Apr 6, 2006
North Jersey
dont worry about the last post^
look at my exhaust valve. would it be safe to lightly go over it with some coarse paper?

and look at the other pic..thats a coolant passage right? almost all of the triangular ones on that side were gunked up with that shit. what is it? i cleared them out, it wasnt gunked up deep in there.

Attachments

• valve.jpg
    valve.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 50
  • nasty.jpg
    nasty.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 55

tte

Breaking In - in progress
Mar 30, 2005
Northern California
I scraped the carbon off my valves with a scraper. The rest was cleaned by the machine shop.

Just take off the cams and buskets and shims. Label all the buskets and shims so you can put them back in the same place and do the shim adjustment later.

You could get the machine shop to have the head cleaned when they deck it.
But when you get the head back use a long round bushes to clean those passages.

It is also a good idea to have the machine shop to check :

1/. The hardness of the head
2/. Any cracks
3/. Leaking valves, bent valve etc.
2/. Valve guides
4/. Get new valves seals put in.

Cheers,
Roy

theKnifeArtist

Fire on High!
Apr 6, 2006
North Jersey
hey whats the spec for the most the head can be milled down? i'm havin it milled tommorrow and just wanna know if i need to be telling the machinist anything important or is he gonna just know what to do??

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
I find the best way of cleaning a head, is, and i kid you not, coke.

I dont mean colombian marching powder, i mean the stuff you buy in bottles. No-name generic is just as good as the official stuff. Soak the head in coke for about two hours, and WHAM - the shit'll just brush right off with hardly any effort. Obviously once thats done you need to rinse it thoroughly in paraffin (kerosene for you).

And yes, like jonathan - i second the motion of using a Green Scouring pad - the rough surface is plastic, and therefore wont cause any damage.

tte

Breaking In - in progress
Mar 30, 2005
Northern California
You wont need to touch the block or head deck after its been machined.
Just let the shop do the machining and do not touch the machined surface.

Cheers,
Roy

theKnifeArtist

Fire on High!
Apr 6, 2006
North Jersey
tte said:
You wont need to touch the block or head deck after its been machined.
Just let the shop do the machining and do not touch the machined surface.
i'm not getting it machined. and before you tell me the consequences and how i should take the block out and get it done, please read the thread. i am aware of the possible consequences but have no choice.
so anyway..would scottch brite be safe on the deck surface?
and another question. what is the size of the exhaust studs? im gonna get a tap to clean the threads up. im gonna get new studs too.

theKnifeArtist

Fire on High!
Apr 6, 2006
North Jersey
Kai said:
I find the best way of cleaning a head, is, and i kid you not, coke.

now would it be safe to out my spark plugs back in the holes to keep the coke in the combustion chamber while it sits? or do i have to plug it up a different way?

theKnifeArtist

Fire on High!
Apr 6, 2006
North Jersey
the throttle body gasket i got looks like this. me and the guy at the parts store matched up the numbers many times and everything is right. it lines up right but the hole in the middle is way to small as you can see. anyone else run into this? should i just cut it out how it should be?
also an answer to the last question would be cool too

Attachments

• TB.jpg
    TB.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 28

badboysupra

Banned
Mar 22, 2007
Vallejo, Ca.
oh man, I just started tearin apart everythin on my cylinder head yesterday. took me about 6 hrs. to take everything off (not even rushing.. just takin my time).

anywayz, I took my cylinder head to the machine shop and they said that its a little warped. well, my car wasnt even blowin white smoke and didnt overheat but it did have some minimal oil and coolant contamination. but then the motor had been previously recieved a "head gasket replacement" by the previous owner, then I leter found out the head bolts werent that even torqued down to the right specs.. they we're a little loose when I took em off. no wonder there was oil/coolant contamination.

so, now I'm just goin to have the whole complete head job from my machine shop, it'll cost me $500 for verything, including valve adjustment.

also, I'm using a Felpro composite HG. it looked pretty good, and way better that the Ishino's. and I was thinkin about puttin a brand new Head Bolts from Toyota (any opinion on this??? since its only $60 for a brand new set)

I'm not going to shoot for crazy HP on my MKIII, 350 hp is decent enough for now. since I'm planning to put a diff motor in it in a couple of yrs..

anywayz, good luck to ya theKnifeArtist, I guess we're both in the same dillema here. even though I have the luxury of time, space and tools to take off the whole motor, but then I decided to just remove the head and leave the motor on the car.

it doesnt make any sense to pull the motor out when the motor only have around 80K miles and it had a good 180-190 psi worth of compression on all cylinders. plus I didnt have a really bad HG problem. so there wasnt any bucket of water inside the oil pan.

badboysupra

Banned
Mar 22, 2007
Vallejo, Ca.
anywayz, just a question for pro's here.. would a stock Felpro HG w/ a stock BRAND SPANKIN NEW Toyota Head Bolt would be "good enough" to hold at least 15-20 psi?? or 350 hp??

thanks again.

aite, peace.