Why the MKIII?

Shytheed Dumas

For Sale
Mar 6, 2006
Louisville, KY
I shopped around for a rwd turbo for a while and came down to a couple of choices. I know there's a lot of negative comments on the 944 Turbo, but damn it handles well. I always loved the looks of the last gen 300ZX, but the TT's were too pricey. And then there was the MKIII Supra: Sport roof, turbo, rwd, no need to change the timing belt every 30K like the 944T, very reasonably priced, etc, etc, etc. I'll still give the win to the Porsche on handling, but hands down to my 90 Turbo on absolutely everything else.

Like a few of the other 30+ year olds, I remember reading about these cars when I was in high school, I loved it then and I never thought I would own one, but I sure do own one now. It ran me an assload less than my coworkers buying brand new POS's with no styling, character, or power, and I love it. Best thing on four wheels I ever bought, and it will be with me for a loooonnnngggg time.

Brewster

So it goes.
Apr 15, 2005
Morgantown, WV
Ric said:
I'm here for some good chats with fellow toyota lovers and to learn and share what I know about the 1JZ-GTE engine. The MKIII being a very popular 1JZ swap and testbed for new parts, It's only natural that I visit here since my sponsor is a major company that develops alot of MKIII 1JZ parts.

And to answer your question, I do like MKIII's, especially with a z20 front end conversion (and a jz or g swap). If i still lived the single life, you'd see one in my driveway next week.

To get defensive to a question of simply why do you like your car... makes me think that maybe you dont?

Ok maybe 10% of the reason is.. Turbo SC300 owners have no where to go. It's a car that shares its platform with the MKIII and MKIV, but the only lexus forums there is, club lexus, all they care about is how many LCD screens they can fit in their dash. If i wanted to talk about the engine and tranny of my car, I have to talk to MKIII owners, and If i wanted suspension or brake help, I have to talk to MKIV owners. Its a pain in the butt.

Ok, I figured this was just another jab at MKIIIs since I saw you talking shit on SF one day. Carry on.

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
because I like it...

I don't feel I got the short end of the Supra stick by getting an MKIII. A former friend had an MKIV and it was a total piece of shit, he finally sold it at a $5000 loss.

My bro has an SC300 and while it's a beast, I simply prefer my MKIII...

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Originally because it was the best looking new car, not old one. That needs to be reinforced. And the 89 came out, the great lines became better, and the interior became better.

That and mechanically the car was designed about as well as could be. Aside from a nearly all aluminum car to save weight like the NSX, there isn't much different I would do. Kieth and Ian's reasoing is spot on correct.

You know, some of us could drive when these came out.

89toyotasupraturbo.jpg

KeithH

Mar 31, 2005
Portland, OR
swaq said:
So is yours put back together yet?

Not yet but I anticipate spending some quality weekends working on it as the weather get's nicer. I'd post up pictures of the new parts I've got lying around but then I'd have to bash myself for posting up lame @$$ pictures of parts off the car when they should clearly be ON THE CAR! :)

"Hey guys look what I just got!"

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Lets just hope we have enough volunteers for SILV this year to show off our beautiful rides. ;) And the shitty ones that Joe mentioned.

slidebabyslide

Starting FRESH !!!!
Dec 17, 2006
salinas,california
I't looks buff, lol. Thats all i remember, when i saw my first supra in the junk yard. I love the body lines. I purchased a 240sx but i did not like the way the interior was set up, it looked to cheap, so i sold it and i got another supra, it was mint, but it sat to long in the sun and the sun, eat away at my front and rear bumbers lol. My girlfriends well all of my ex girlfriends and even my current chika, do not like the way the supra looks, thats why i have my 4runner for:naughty: (bang bus):evil2:

KeithH

Mar 31, 2005
Portland, OR
Nick M said:
Lets just hope we have enough volunteers for SILV this year to show off our beautiful rides. ;) And the shitty ones that Joe mentioned.

Thanks for the plug Nick.

As Nick mentioned I am in need of a lot more help - did you guys see the list of helpers that TX had? I am getting too old (Old Man Hart) to run around like I used to and make sure everything goes as well as possible.

There is currently an open letter on the SILV website at http://Vegas.Supras.Org - or our new siter URL at http://www.SILV.info - outlining the needs (I still have to finish up those last couple of pages with the specific coordinators needed).

I am working on some new behind-the-scenes pieces on the website that will help make a few things easier.

We are looking for all different kinds of help - I'll also be making a post in the general section here soon.

Remember that this event is for everyone and the more people that help out, the bigger success it can be.

Keith.

VanSupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Van,B.C.
Because it's Prime Rib baby!! Tenderloin is more expensive but because of it's rich quality one can only tolerate it so much. Pass the gravy..

:)

supradavenz

LOL HIES!
Apr 1, 2006
AUCKLAND, New Zealand
Some 5 years ago my father had a old milk truck style truck just a small delivery thing.. used to use it as a delivery truck for his work (label printing company) and when that fell threw he got a offer from someone to swap it with a 3.0T automatic digital dash supra, i was only about 15 or 16 at the time and just got my learner licence. We had just been out at the driving range heading home in the supra he let me drive it. nearing home my brother pulled up next to us, he owned a mitsi lancer GSR must have been about a 1990 model or mayb 93.. evo1 shape.. anyhow he was a bit of a hoon and still is.. he pulled up egging me on to race him.. my father told me not to but since when do i listen.. lights go green, both plant it.. and pow i was gone. the feel of the power and comfort instantly took me. since that day i <3 MK3's... maybe one day ill grow out of them.. 6 years later im still loving them tho and just got another.. maybe another 6 years?...

[/rant]