Why the MKIII?

Ric

Setting the standard
Feb 22, 2007
Central Florida
www.1jzgte.us
Rajunz said:
I didn't fall in love with an older MKIII Supra, I fell in love with a brand new MKIII Supra, back when you were probably still in diapers. I just couldn't afford one back then but swore that I would one day own one. Seeing one back then was like seeing a Porsche or a Ferrari, they were pretty exotic for their day. I have never had that same desire to own a MKIV Supra.

I turned 16 in 1998, during the height of the japanese muscle car era. I always hated the MKIV, even back then. I was a huge gen3 RX7 fan til FATF came out, and made my dream go frok 8k to 16k and made that dissapear.

TRACKMKIII

Banned
Feb 17, 2006
Atlanta,GA
For me it was just love at first sight!!:love: :aigo: The car looks great!! It is rear wheel drive!! Plus it is a Toyota!! I was hooked!! I started doing research and saw alot of potential then the search began to find my very own. I found one for $1150 and the rest is history. Here I am $$$$ later and if I could go back in time I would not have bought anything else!!

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Weatherford, Texas, United States
Rajunz said:
I didn't fall in love with an older MKIII Supra, I fell in love with a brand new MKIII Supra, back when you were probably still in diapers. I just couldn't afford one back then but swore that I would one day own one. Seeing one back then was like seeing a Porsche or a Ferrari, they were pretty exotic for their day. I have never had that same desire to own a MKIV Supra.

I'm like you, I fell in love with a new 1992 Blue Turbo that I test drove. I was 22. I swore I would own one one day. And everything else you said, I agree with as well.

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
The lines, and the cockpit, I've sat and driven alot of other cars, they just dont hold you in like the MKIII, even the MKIV doesn't do it for me.

Ric

Setting the standard
Feb 22, 2007
Central Florida
www.1jzgte.us
D34DC311 said:
The lines, and the cockpit, I've sat and driven alot of other cars, they just dont hold you in like the MKIII, even the MKIV doesn't do it for me.

Yeah, i hate the drivers seat of a mk4. Im 6'1 and i cant even rest my arm on the door when its a nice day out with the windows down.

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
Ric said:
Yeah, i hate the drivers seat of a mk4. Im 6'1 and i cant even rest my arm on the door when its a nice day out with the windows down.

Doesn't it just grab you and make you feel like it was made just for your body.
Im 6'4"ish and I fit and feel so comfortable in it, I possibly could say I could do a cross country drive with no ache problems.

May 19, 2006
SE Wisconsin
D34DC311 said:
Doesn't it just grab you and make you feel like it was made just for your body.
Im 6'4"ish and I fit and feel so comfortable in it, I possibly could say I could do a cross country drive with no ache problems.

i know what your saying. i dive in my camry for like an hour and i feel like parking and standing up, but in the supra i can drive it all day long.

Ric

Setting the standard
Feb 22, 2007
Central Florida
www.1jzgte.us
MKIII wins the cake for interior comfort. Out of the MKIII, MKIV, and SC.. SC being the most uncomfortable and just plain weird. In order for me to be able to touch my radio buttons without leaning foward every time, I have to put the seat so far foward I eat the steering wheel. the MKIV is more suited for a jet fighter where seeing out the windows is not very important, other then that, its ok.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
In 1999 I did 75,000 kms/46500 miles in the Mk3 and LOVED every minute of it!

It is the best GT car I've driven bar none.

It's dynamics as a car hold up even today as it was very sophisticated for it's day and I'm struggling to think of a replacement for it.

tsuper92

supra addict
Apr 7, 2005
mass
everybody mention's that the money spent on are mkIII's could have went towards a mkIV.this might be true,but i wouldn't be able to leave the mkIV stock anyway's.then i'll really be broke,trying to mod the fuck out of a $20k+ car.now i'm just modding the fuck out of a car that costed me $4000.

one of my freind's brought me to a dealership and we looked at a brand new 89 turbo targa.i was 19 at the time and thought the car was awesome,but at $29,000 back then:nono:

to be honest it took along time for the styling of the mkIV to grow on me.i thought the big ass headlight's and skinny looking tail light's to close together ass end made it look weird.the mkIII styling,i loved right off the bat.i just love the way the corner of the front end flow's into the ass end.sharp as a knife and stealthy

SupraDread

Aug 21, 2006
New York
Ric said:
I'm just wanting to understand what made you fall in love with the older MKIII supra. Considering the drop in price for MKIV TT's and the typical amount of $$ spend in alot of MKIII's to get 3-400whp and to replace things, you could have just purchased a MKIV and had so much more.. I'm curious.

Is it that you can have a Supra for 1-3 grand?

You like the old boxy 80s styling and interior?

For some reason you think the 7m is a good motor?

Enlighten me
Always had a thing for supra's and it stems from the Love of old Celicas. We used to luv the old late seventies celicas. Then toyo came out with the Celica supra MKI and I thought wow finally a celica w/some balls. Well back then anyway. Then they came out with the MKII when I was in H.S. and i luved the wedge shape. Convinced my girl at the time to get an MKII back in 88' luved it. I was actually saving money for an 1988 MKIII in college got side tracked and bought a 5.0 Mustang......luved it. I actually remember racing a guy in my 5.0 and he had a new MKIII and was killing me. Thats Karma should have got the MKIII to begin with. I then purchased my own MKIII in 2000 sold it to my sister and it was stolen from her. Now i have a Turbo Targa and I still luv my project MKIII soon to b 300 horse:evil2: DD MKIII

LilMissMkIII

That Aussie Chick
Aug 18, 2006
Aussie Land
Ric said:
Ok maybe 10% of the reason is.. Turbo SC300 owners have no where to go. It's a car that shares its platform with the MKIII and MKIV, but the only lexus forums there is, club lexus, all they care about is how many LCD screens they can fit in their dash. If i wanted to talk about the engine and tranny of my car, I have to talk to MKIII owners, and If i wanted suspension or brake help, I have to talk to MKIV owners. Its a pain in the butt.

You haven't heard of Soarer Central?