Why does everyone prefer the 1J over the 2J motor?

claricae86

Aug 23, 2006
oklahoma
im glad you mods really take pride in kepping the forum where it should be i would hate to see sm run down with bs and bad attitudes like sf, all in all supramania ftw 123456jz ftw

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
Brewster said:
but dude, you don't have any torqqqqqqqque.:biglaugh:
without boost they are torquless wonders.. seriously.. the stock twins hid that fact cause they come on so fast..

2.5L can only do so much.. lol.. bigger is better.. unless you just want a bpu car.. then stock twin 1j is a cheap fun ride imo..

Last edited:

The Reaper

Single, and lovin' it!!
Jan 10, 2006
Florida
i prefer the 2J for making big power

i've rode in a 67mm 1J and a stock twin'd 1J

the stock twin'd was ALOT more fun than the big single. took too long to build boost and it can't get out of its own way when its not in boost...

plus there is no replacement for displacement..... why do you think the 2J guys are going to 3.4 liters now?????

Supra

May 11, 2005
Rockford, IL
I'm going to swap a 4A-GE into a MKIII and then I'll be pulling 40MPG CITY and I'll be totally unique. How's about them apples. :biglaugh:

thedave925

Since 9/16/05
Nov 9, 2005
East Bay, Cali
-Rich87Tx2 said:
I'm going to swap a 4A-GE into a MKIII and then I'll be pulling 40MPG CITY and I'll be totally unique. How's about them apples. :biglaugh:

That'd be cool if there ever was such a concept as "city driving" where you don't stop and no uphill streets. Seriously, we need torque so we don't rev to the moon going over hills. Revving wastes gas and wears the engine.

I would pick the 2J for legality reasons here in Smog-Nazi Kommyfornia
My .02
-Dave

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
-Rich87Tx2 said:
better lose about 2k lbs out of the mkiii to get good gasmilage..

RacerXJ220

Interdimensional
Mar 30, 2005
Abalama
Just stroke the 1JZ. They make a kit, I saw a few on Ebay. Seems new and should work.

I think it was called a 2JZ-GE.

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Aaron's right on just about all accounts, guys. I really don't know where all the hostility over which engine is in one's Supra comes from - wingman's got the right idea, though ;)

JoeC

Banned
Jul 10, 2006
Vancouver, Washington
onejoezee,

Prove me wrong! Don't say 2jz or 7m parts that FIT on the 1jz. I believe there is not a HUGE aftermarket support for the 1jz as there is for the 2jz. Is there huge selections of down pipes, turbo manifolds, intake manifolds *SPECIFICALLY* for the 1jz? I don't see many.

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
Come on now, I make a down pipe, BIC makes a downpipe, HKS makes a downpipe, Greddy makes a downpipe....
Then theres the Ebay AND the Australian y-pipe

There are at least 4 different turbo manifolds readily available, for t3 and t4 turbos.

Intake manifold? Why? It already has a ffi, and if you really want custom them you just make a phone call and order one.

I have complete gasket kits, Greddy timing belts, 2 different power steering hoses, hydrofan hoses will be ready next week, I will make harness jumpers if you send the connectors (not possible for a 2jz swap), catback is the same as 7m.

There is PLENTY of aftermarket support for the 1jz.

Brewster

So it goes.
Apr 15, 2005
Morgantown, WV
bigaaron said:
Come on now, I make a down pipe, BIC makes a downpipe, HKS makes a downpipe, Greddy makes a downpipe....
Then theres the Ebay AND the Australian y-pipe

There are at least 4 different turbo manifolds readily available, for t3 and t4 turbos.

Intake manifold? Why? It already has a ffi, and if you really want custom them you just make a phone call and order one.

I have complete gasket kits, Greddy timing belts, 2 different power steering hoses, hydrofan hoses will be ready next week, I will make harness jumpers if you send the connectors (not possible for a 2jz swap), catback is the same as 7m.

There is PLENTY of aftermarket support for the 1jz.

yeah but where can i get a 1j flux capacitor?

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
JoeC said:
onejoezee,

Prove me wrong! Don't say 2jz or 7m parts that FIT on the 1jz. I believe there is not a HUGE aftermarket support for the 1jz as there is for the 2jz. Is there huge selections of down pipes, turbo manifolds, intake manifolds *SPECIFICALLY* for the 1jz? I don't see many.
Why don't you do some better research before being so sure about your assumptions of the 1J aftermarket since you're so experienced with the engine. oh wait, you don't even have one. Aaron just did the research for you.

Aaron and jose just made a whole freaking turbo kit for suprahero with a GT35R. MTR and MVP have fuel systems for the 1J for the higher power applications. Driftmotion is working on a standalone. ebay has parts all the time. the FS section also has 1J parts (more SF than here). there's spare 1J engines galore in the US should you need one. What else do you need that's so hard and difficult to find?

aight peace :chicken:

why is it that everyone who always says it's hard to get parts for a 1J doesn't even have one?

Last edited: