Why does everyone prefer the 1J over the 2J motor?

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
bigaaron said:
As soon as there is a disagreement everyone starts saying how the thread is going to hell, but what fun would it be if we all agreed?

The only thing that bugs me is the people who have the attitude that their engine of choice is "the best", so your engine must be inferior.
And in this case, it's almost exactly the same engines we are talking about, so I really can't see where the "superiority" thing could come from.
It's like you are saying you are superior to your brother because you are a inch taller. LOL

there is no such thing as a universially best motor, only one that is best for someone. if someone wants to drag all the time, they might think a LS7 with twin gt42rs is best for them, but the guy who likes autox might want a 2jz-ge with intake, headers, tune and exhaust.

JoeC

Banned
Jul 10, 2006
Vancouver, Washington
im sure the 1jz has JUST as much potential as the 2jz, but lets face it. The consumer crowd that is purchasing the 1jz motors are buying them because of the cost. That is why you wont see any 1000 rwhp 1jz's.

I myself, prefer the 2jz over the 1jz because of visual asthetics and parts MADE for the 2jz. People say there are many parts for the 1jz, but lets face it.. most are rare and expensive and come from Japan. did i mention it is definantly more visually appealing? :biglaugh: I would pay the extra just for the looks alone.

bountykilla0118

In Pursuit of 500rwhp
Jul 16, 2005
Atlanta GA
JoeC said:
im sure the 1jz has JUST as much potential as the 2jz, but lets face it. The consumer crowd that is purchasing the 1jz motors are buying them because of the cost. That is why you wont see any 1000 rwhp 1jz's.

I myself, prefer the 2jz over the 1jz because of visual asthetics and parts MADE for the 2jz. People say there are many parts for the 1jz, but lets face it.. most are rare and expensive and come from Japan. did i mention it is definantly more visually appealing? :biglaugh: I would pay the extra just for the looks alone.

Let me put on my flame suit ..... If we took a 1jz and bolted on a gt35r would it create the same power as a the 2jz? 2.5 liters vs 3.0 liters? I could be hella wrong but i dont think they have the same potential.

The way i think of it is 2.5 liters of air and fuel will never be the same as 3.0liters of air and fuel keep in mind the motors are very similar. To put it simply power is the amount of air and fuel going into the engine with good spark and going out.

Feel free to correct me and hey quickstike i am on ur side :) but its not what you say its how you say it

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
The way I see it, the 1jz is actually a stronger platform.
Forget the 2j nutswinging for just a sec while you read this:

So you have two engines with the same size main and rod bearings, and the same diameter cams. Now on one engine you make the rods longer, the crank journals further apart for more stroke, and the deck taller. Isn't that going to make it physically weaker in terms of maximum hp per liter? You also have higher piston speeds at any given rpm, and the pistons/rings also travel more distance per crank revolution (read:more wear). The only way the 2jz would be proportionately stronger is if the dimensions of all the engine internals were increased.
Remember, the 1jz was first, and then Toyota decided to make an engine with more displacement to keep up with the hp output of other manufacturers engines. The only other way would have been more boost on the 1j, but that was obviously not an option for a production engine already at ~12psi stock.

For this reason, I argue, the 1jz is better from an overall strength and longevity standpoint at the hp levels most peoples engines will be at.

The 1jz,to me, is closer to the optimum piston engine design. When I think optimum engine design, I also think rb26.

I invite any well thought out arguements to this.

Last edited:

p5150

ASE and FAA A&P Certified
Mar 31, 2005
Central Idaho
You guys missed the boat with the 2jzGE-T swap. If you are going big single it is cheaper and has more potential than the 1j or 7M.

bountykilla0118

In Pursuit of 500rwhp
Jul 16, 2005
Atlanta GA
bigaaron said:
The 1jz,to me, is closer to the optimum piston engine design. When I think optimum engine design, I also think rb26.

Yes very same in setup ... I remember watching a clip of a modded 2jz and rb and the guy was saying how the skyline felt faster b/c of the way it rev-ed through the gears and how responsive the rb was compared to the 2jz

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
DETONATION666 said:
Are there allot more highly modded 2js then 1js? alltogether?

Sure in the US, because they came in cars that are now selling for $25,000+ that are up to 14 years old, so for the most part 2jz's are owned by people with lots of money to spend, or people who rack up lots of credit debt. Either way, those are the people who are likely to drop big money into their engine.

outofstep

Mar 31, 2005
fwb
confusatron said:
I was just wondering why so many people like the 1J better than the 2J motor. It's half a liter smaller, so why would it be better? Thanks.

It's not a preference, it's an issue of cost and ease of swap. If a 2JZ was as easy to swap in as a 1JZ and cost the same, no one would be running 1Js.

7MsAreForKids

7M FTMFPOSL
Aug 27, 2006
ITS ALL DISTURBANCE
lol.. Man, its hard to find the good posts in this thread.. there are a few though.

There are many reasons to run a 1J over a 2J.. But none of them have to do with strength or power potential. The 2J is equal to the 1J in strength, and exceeds the 1J in power potential.

The reasons ppl choose the 1J should be crystal clear! Money & plug & play! Although the 2J is a pretty straight forward swap, it does take a little more knowledge to execute it properly.. Even then most guys end up running 1J electronics! lol

The displacement argument has invaded this forum and SF over the past few years and it is just plain DUMB!!! Why? Well think about it.. The reason we say "Technology, the only replacement for displacement" is because of all the domestic pushrod guys making 350whp with 383 cubic inches.. lol YES the 2J has more potential to make power 100% based on its DISPLACEMENT, .5L larger than the 1J.. WHY? Because it shares the EXACT SAME TECHNOLOGY!! And I am not just talking about COP and ECU's here.. Technology to me is the entire design of the engine. So yea.. if you could build a 3.8, 4.0, whatever JZ and it retained the same engine dynamics, the power potential would just keep going up along with displacement and boost.. Well, until the rods got so long they snapped under thier own weight.. lol

Reign_Maker

Has cheezberger
Aug 31, 2005
Florida
Justin said:
a mod aught go through this thread and delete the useless shit.
Doin it now... Be nice... I dont want anymore compaint emails about this one...

Bah, well, seems one of my othere brother locked it, so, I'll think about cleaning it later and unlocking it... I got through one page before I about cringed over... Where's the hostility and drama coming from?

ma71supraturbo

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Redding, CA
www.geocities.com
This thread has been heavily edited by me (and reign). I'm sure I've made some people upset by deleting posts, so feel free to send me a PM to get my explanation.

In the future: Please keep it civil, and please keep it on topic. If you want to make a post that doesn't met those two criteria, please take it to PM

Brewster

So it goes.
Apr 15, 2005
Morgantown, WV
mattjk said:
I don't know wtf you people are talking about, especially 7m people that have never driven a 1jz. I love mine, especially the long nice powerband.

but dude, you don't have any torqqqqqqqque.:biglaugh: