Why does everyone prefer the 1J over the 2J motor?

JoeC

Banned
Jul 10, 2006
Vancouver, Washington
can you say there are more 1j aftermarket parts than the 2j? And, why does every one who owns a 1j feel they are better than 7m members? jesus, you shouldnt bring up the "you shouldnt talk cause you dont own one"..

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
JoeC said:
can you say there are more 1j aftermarket parts than the 2j? And, why does every one who owns a 1j feel they are better than 7m members? jesus, you shouldnt bring up the "you shouldnt talk cause you dont own one"..

sure, the 2J has more aftermarket parts. but that was not the point of your arguement. You were implying 1J parts are hard to find and many have to be sourced from Japan which just isn't true. 2J has more aftermarket than a 7M as well.

never once did I say I thought i was better than you because you don't have one. so don't pull that card. thread doesn't need to be locked again so don't start with that. no one here with a 1j said anything of the sort. I brought it up because someone with a 1J would most likely know more about it than someoen who doesn't have one. I don't know a ton of info about the maf-t pros the 7M guys are using now. When that came about as more mainstream I already ditched mine. It doesn't really concern me that much so I don't know a whole lot about it other than the basics. Same as you don't have a 1J. Apparently it doesn't concern you enough to research what's really available for it.

stan

1j is a nice engine. 7m is a nice engine. 2j is a nice engine. some people put one nice engine in their car. other people put a different nice engine in their car. they are all made by toyota. they are all turbocharged. they all fit into a supra.

group hug.

:beer:

wingman

sucka got blammed!
Sep 11, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
Doward said:
wingman's got the right idea, though ;)

damn right I do...hell even the LS2 is hard to argue with for the price you can pick one up for anymore. Forgive me for not being a purist but I'll take 400+ cubic inches of non-ferrous goodness in my supra over a 2JZ anyday. Hell gimme a few GT30's to go with it and I'll pick on MkIV's all day long.

but while were on the topic of engine swaps, anybody thought about the 1GZ-FE yet? I'd love to rev one of those suckers up to 10K!

soapra

Supramania Contributor
Apr 6, 2005
VVTi'n, CA
www.kaizenmotorsport.com
JoeC said:
... And, why does every one who owns a 1j feel they are better than 7m members? jesus, you shouldnt bring up the "you shouldnt talk cause you dont own one"..

Everyone that swaps a 1jz in to a Supra (A70) had a 7M at one point! I'm sure we all talk from experience. I'm sure you feel we are better, but most of the people on the Internet don’t know much about it. We get phone calls every day about how some company sold them an X harness with Y ecu and they don’t plug in at all. We try to educate people on the JZ motors, but there is still allot of wrong Info out there.

Last edited:

Brewster

So it goes.
Apr 15, 2005
Morgantown, WV
soapra said:
Everyone that swaps a 1jz in to a Supra (A70) had a 7M at one point! I'm sure we all talk from experience. I'm sure you feel we are better, but most of the people on the Internet don’t know much about it. We get phone calls every day about how some company sold them an X harness with Y ecu and they don’t plug in at all. We try to educate people on the JZ motors, but there is still allot of wrong Info out there.

I've never owned a 7m, went straight to a 1JZ. I have driven one before though. :icon_razz

Turbo. Targa. Life.

SupraMania Shirt Slinger!
Apr 16, 2005
O'Fallon, MO
www.geocities.com
wingman said:
damn right I do...hell even the LS2 is hard to argue with for the price you can pick one up for anymore. Forgive me for not being a purist but I'll take 400+ cubic inches of non-ferrous goodness in my supra over a 2JZ anyday. Hell gimme a few GT30's to go with it and I'll pick on MkIV's all day long.

but while were on the topic of engine swaps, anybody thought about the 1GZ-FE yet? I'd love to rev one of those suckers up to 10K!
Uhh isn't the LS2 a 364CI motor? :D **is ready to stand corrected**

PS--I know you can stroke/bore one, but that wasn't stated. I say THROW A 454 IN THAT BEAST! Or even the LS7--427 SMALL BLOCK...fuckin right doggy :)

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Front facing manifold does mean more CFM, it only means shorter intercooler piping. You need a larger plenum and shorter runners to increase CFM. And that will decrease intake velocity and low end grunt.

Of coure, the effect is not as dramatic as when you do it on a naturally aspirated engine.

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Turbo. Targa. Life. said:
Uhh isn't the LS2 a 364CI motor? :D **is ready to stand corrected**

PS--I know you can stroke/bore one, but that wasn't stated. I say THROW A 454 IN THAT BEAST! Or even the LS7--427 SMALL BLOCK...fuckin right doggy :)

He was talking about the LS7 originally :D

And yes, I'd physically catapult any other engine out of my Supra, to drop an LS7 in there. :aigo:

RHDMK3

that's it!
Sep 30, 2006
Salem, Oregon
LS7's are sex! I heard that the General is coming out with a Corvette SS with a Supercharged LS7. 600 Ponies!! I guess they are testing it out because the '08 Vipers are coming out with 600 HP. But back to the topic at hand.. I guess it depends on where I lived as to which engine I prefered, here in Japan, the 1JZ both hands down! In the States I'd probably just stick with 7M-GTE. I say this because 1: I am to lazy to swap the engine. 2: The amount of hp the 1JZ put's out(280 HP I believe) vs. the 7M's 240 or so hp, isn't to me anyways, worth the dollar amount that it would cost to buy the 1J and then have it swapped in. There is only like a 40 hp or so difference between the two engines.

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
Stock for stock, both with only an upgraded exhaust, the 1jz makes almost 100 WHP more then a 7m-gte.

The difference is that the 7m-gte, rated at 227hp, makes about 200-210 whp with an exhaust.

The 1jz, on the other hand, makes about 280hp at the wheels with an exhaust. We've had a few that made as high as 300 whp.

Now people say "well you can just turn up the boost on the 7m and make 300whp", but I can tell you from much experience, that a 300whp 1jz will run circles around a 300whp 7m. Not to mention that the 1jz would outlast that 300whp 7m in any type of endurance test.

Last edited:

Mr.PFloyd

I am the Super Devil
Jun 22, 2005
Mississauga, Ontario
aaron, you're not talking about getting rid of the stock elbow are you? because ive seen a few locals run 250ish with exhaust and intake only, and we all know the intake isn't the biggest issue on these cars.

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
CryoSlash said:
aaron, you're not talking about getting rid of the stock elbow are you? because ive seen a few locals run 250ish with exhaust and intake only, and we all know the intake isn't the biggest issue on these cars.

I wasn't considering the elbow as a basic exhaust upgrade, but then if you change the elbow, it would only be fair to put a y-pipe on the 1jz, and it could make closer to 330whp in that case, from what I hear. I haven't dyno'd a 1jz with a y-pipe upgrade yet myself.

Mr.PFloyd

I am the Super Devil
Jun 22, 2005
Mississauga, Ontario
bigaaron said:
I wasn't considering the elbow as a basic exhaust upgrade, but then if you change the elbow, it would only be fair to put a y-pipe on the 1jz, and it could make closer to 330whp in that case, from what I hear. I haven't dyno'd a 1jz with a y-pipe upgrade yet myself.
fair enough, even though the y pipe is nowhere close to restriction as the 7m elbow does...