Why does everyone prefer the 1J over the 2J motor?

Mr.PFloyd

I am the Super Devil
Jun 22, 2005
Mississauga, Ontario
ill add another point. Some people just don't care as long as they get out of the 7m. My brother had bad luck with 2 7m's said fuck it and went 1jz. He could have went 2jz but he didnt because like most of us, there isn't much more you can do with the 2jz as opposed to the 1jz because the power levels half of us are shooting for are very well within a singled 1jz whereas a 2jz would be the same story, just more money. Just sayin.
-Thomas

Zazzn

l33t M0derat0r (On some other forum) n00blet here
Apr 1, 2005
Toronto/SF Bay area
1j's WHERE cheaper... but 2jz's prices have dropped like stones after the aristos have been gutted....

And the fact that you need lots of bits form a 1jz swap to put the 2jz in.

other then that... 2JZ FTW

.5 displace ment is good no matter how you look at it.

If they sold a 3.5 I6 or 4L I6 that was just a stroked form the factory JZ engine. I'd say that's the engine for me.

More displacement = more fun = no reving to the sky to spool that huge turbo = more fun for the stree = :)

MRSUPRA

Apr 11, 2005
Maryland
"If they sold a 3.5 I6 or 4L I6 that was just a stroked form the factory JZ engine. I'd say that's the engine for me."

I couldn't agree more.. There is no way that I would spend extra money for a used engine with less displacement. And there is no way I would spend lots more money on a used engine with equal displacement. However, if there was a 3.5 liter "3JZ-GTE" motor, I would be the first in line to purchase it.

claricae86

Aug 23, 2006
oklahoma
i also dont think that power is the main purpose, people dont get a 1jz because they want 1200 hp if they did everyone would say screw it and just buy an mk4.

bobiseverywhere

bobb'n for money
Apr 1, 2005
Montreal
www.bobiseverywhere.com
Its not so much that everyone prefers the 1J over the 2J

my choice of the 1J is for a few reasons,

-it is made to fit in our cars
-it is much easier to install for a novice (such as my self)
-requires less wiring work to make it work
-cost less money to put together and have a running 1J car
-the 1J revs higher which is good for certain types of driving/racing like Drifting or Time attack or lapping
-there is some nifty factor to it
-the 2J just has to much hype surrounding it still which demands a premium price for everything you do with it.

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
Shytheed Dumas said:
I'm going to suggest that most MKIII owners are purists to a large extent, especially those on this forum. This is why riced out MKIII's are instantly flamed. Therefore,

Original MKIII's = 7M and 1J

Original MKIII's =/ 2J

Worse yet, Original MKIII =/ wtf are you talking about 350 Chevy

Anybody buy that? ;)
imo thats an excuse...

tookwik4u89

Red T-shirt
Apr 6, 2005
Rockford, IL
QWIKSTRIKE said:
I say get what You like for yourself and f what ohers think!
I have a Master's degree in sarcasm;)

I love my 7m even though it's inferior to a 2JZ, they're all good.:icon_razz

EDIT....my 7M is not inferior to a 2JZ

QWIKSTRIKE

475rwhp459torq an climbin
Apr 3, 2005
Some where out there
www.cardomain.com
bigaaron said:
Just because you like the 2j more, doesn't mean you need to be rude to the 1j fans.
For the record, the 2j twins fit just fine, no mods needed to the body, other then hammer a little dent to give a little firewall clearance.

I like the power stats it is capeable of on its own merrits. The 1j is inferior to the 2j period. Installing a 2j isnt that complicated if you get a standalone other than an AEM. The problem is everyone wants a cheap drop in solution. Don't say getting a complete 2jz is cheaper than dropping a 2jz and a wolf, or a Haltech computer to run it either. The 7m crowd is usually younger guys looking for cheap bang for the buck mods. This will not yield an ultimate street car with reliable power.There is no debate that out of the box a 1J maybe easier, and cheaper to install, but that is it periodl. This is not meant to discredit the 1j or slap 1j owners as you imply. It is merely a fact proven by the 2jz motor all on its own merrits!

miekedmr

mkiii in hibernation
Jul 12, 2005
Upstate NY
QWIKSTRIKE said:
It is merely a fact proven by the 2jz motor all on its own merrits!

Ahem... OPINION, and opinions don't get PROVEN, however widely held and rational they are.
I can say a piece of granite is 'superior' to a 2JZ-GTE and not be incorrect, because it's subjective. If you want to say something specific like the 2J has more power potential than the 1J or whatever, have at it.
Meanwhile, everyone's welcome to make up there own minds about what's superior, and they can do it based on whatever they want: the way the valve covers and manifolds look in their engine bay, the cost effectiveness, efficiency, how much it hurts when you drop it on someone, etc

bobiseverywhere

bobb'n for money
Apr 1, 2005
Montreal
www.bobiseverywhere.com
QWIKSTRIKE said:
I like the power stats it is capeable of on its own merrits. The 1j is inferior to the 2j period. Installing a 2j isnt that complicated if you get a standalone other than an AEM. The problem is everyone wants a cheap drop in solution. Don't say getting a complete 2jz is cheaper than dropping a 2jz and a wolf, or a Haltech computer to run it either. The 7m crowd is usually younger guys looking for cheap bang for the buck mods. This will not yield an ultimate street car with reliable power.There is no debate that out of the box a 1J maybe easier, and cheaper to install, but that is it periodl. This is not meant to discredit the 1j or slap 1j owners as you imply. It is merely a fact proven by the 2jz motor all on its own merrits!

As far as i have seen the 1J has proven to be a reliable engine.

I went with a 1J yes due to cost and other factors. You don't have to be young and poor to not want to spend crazy amount of money on your car. being reasonable and understanding what you want to do with the car, making the best coarse of action is just good planning. You don't have to buy the biggest badest most expensive engine there is to get a good street car. You need to understand what your goals are and what you expect from your car, and to understand what it will take to get that.

When all considered and what my goals are for "my" idea of a great street machine. The 1J was the way to go. Ya it might not have 1000RWHP or be able to dyno 1200RWHP but i want something that is enjoyable on the street in all respects. Not that the 2J is not enjoyable, but for my power goals and other ideas of the car and how it should be the 1J was the right choice for me.

It is not inferior, it is just a different choice. Taking the attitude that bigger is always better. Then i submit to you, that people should be 400lbs fat blobs driving there car cause bigger is always better.

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
QWIKSTRIKE said:

:biglaugh: You are so out there. How come every Toyota or Lexus drift car I've ever seen has a 1jz in it? You are saying the 2jz is superior because of horsepower potential alone, but on an overall engine performance level I have to say you are mistaken.

And you are also mistaken about the 2jz being cheaper to drop in with a standalone then a new mk4 harness and the jdm ecu from the Aristo clip. I don't know where you are getting your info from on that. 1jz is soooooo much easier to install in an mk3, you are making light of the 2jz install to serve your own arguement.

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
hells, we also do not have complete parts list, and dyno sheets so that vid, although nice, is worthless, sorry. it just shows a jza70 beating a jza80.

aaron, the 1jz has a higher rev limit, keeping the car in its poweband with the right turbo.

to end this 1j vs 2j argument, they both have their uses. in some areas, one is better than the other.

Big Wang Bandit

You Can't Quit Me Baby
Feb 21, 2006
San Ramon, CA - 925!
The thing is is this guy seems to think the 2JZ is superior in every way!

It cant be dethroned. He has a shrine built around one. Hell if I know. But it says simmilar mods. I assume exhaust and fuel.

Its a good motor. But this has been beaten toooo many times

Arguing on the internet is stupid

Last edited:

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
As soon as there is a disagreement everyone starts saying how the thread is going to hell, but what fun would it be if we all agreed?

The only thing that bugs me is the people who have the attitude that their engine of choice is "the best", so your engine must be inferior.
And in this case, it's almost exactly the same engines we are talking about, so I really can't see where the "superiority" thing could come from.
It's like you are saying you are superior to your brother because you are a inch taller. LOL

Big Wang Bandit

You Can't Quit Me Baby
Feb 21, 2006
San Ramon, CA - 925!
^ I agree.

Arguing your point is fun, Untill a point. At this point its all been stated, an everything has been laid out, and no one cared.

Im excited to put a CT-26 on my Car, I wanna be part of that fight!

Im sure if we had more people from Japan or Australia we would get some 1G loyalists too :rolleyes:

claricae86

Aug 23, 2006
oklahoma
hells wins! just like stated above all this bantering is kind of useless. at the end of the day youll have your 2j well have our 1js and we'll all be happy supra owners why not just leave it at that. it all boils down to preference, wallet, and your persoanl goals for your car thats it.