Wheel Fitment & Question Thread

heyitsdatguy

loser.....
Jan 9, 2007
Mira Mesa,CA
Ok, first off go ahead and bash me for asking this I will allow it. I would like to get some 20x9.5 or 20x10 rear wheels and 20x8.5 or 20x9.5 fronts what offset can I get. My car is super low. I have 18x8.5 offset +32 in the front now and they rub while going up driveways. Tire recommendations also please.

Yes, I said it I want some 20's on my supra. I'm not a racer, I don't care about making power like everyone else.

- Dawly

Last edited:

BorHor

2JZ-GZE
Jan 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
What are you rubbing? But offsets.. probably around +30. and yes you can put 20x10 in rear and 20x9.5 in front. It is all about the offsets, what you are willing to do to get wheels to fit.

heyitsdatguy

loser.....
Jan 9, 2007
Mira Mesa,CA
Well, I know that I would most likely have to roll the fenders because with wheels now they rub. That's why I have spare fenders that I will roll then send it out to have them made in CF to have them in production for all to buy. So I'll have CF rolled fenders. I don't care too much for CF exterior so I'll just take a pic then have them painted.

- Dawly

edit - when my cousin has free time I'll test fit his 20x10 from his car on mine. It's a GS300, he isn't sure of the offset.

rodel

SoCal
May 19, 2005
SoCal
heyitsdatguy;1141647 said:
Ok, first off go ahead and bash me for asking this I will allow it. I would like to get some 20x9.5 or 20x10 rear wheels and 20x8.5 or 20x9.5 fronts what offset can I get. My car is super low. I have 18x8.5 offset +32 in the front now and they rub while going up driveways. Tire recommendations also please.

Yes, I said it I want some 20's on my supra. I'm not a racer, I don't care about making power like everyone else.

- Dawly

I like your ambition to go 20s. Go 20x9.5 low to mid 30s offset and 20x10 low 30s offset. (I'm surpised that Savy has not schooled on you this??)

I hope you're planning to install aero on your car if you go 20s; otherwise, 20s will look out of proportion to the car.

rodel

SoCal
May 19, 2005
SoCal
garagefujimoto;1140256 said:
I'll try a pic tonight if I get home while sun is out

18 X 13 zero offset off my Old Celsior
Put both rears on one side.

Coilovers, JIC camber arms, and pulled to the max, not chopped up
The front tires actually turn, but only because I have the fender tubs and even the lips/edges of the bumper/trim shaved for max clearance.
Only problem would be the lower control arm, I have extended rack travel with the GP Sports kit, and the bck side wheel lip hits at about 95% turn

Where are the pics?

heyitsdatguy

loser.....
Jan 9, 2007
Mira Mesa,CA
rodel;1142830 said:
I like your ambition to go 20s. Go 20x9.5 low to mid 30s offset and 20x10 low 30s offset. (I'm surpised that Savy has not schooled on you this??)

I hope you're planning to install aero on your car if you go 20s; otherwise, 20s will look out of proportion to the car.

Savy doesn't know I'm going with 20's. Yes, I'm planning on getting an aero kit for my car, without one it'll just look like a donka.

- Dawly

Edit - I didn't think any of the socal guys were watching this thread, well, there goes 2 secret plans for my car.

garagefujimoto

Local Tire Destroyer
May 27, 2005
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
rodel;1142832 said:
Where are the pics?

Here yah go...was sorta darkish, sucks being up north in fall/winter
Just a test, these will not be what I am going to run long-term.

p1143709_1.jpg

p1143709_2.jpg

TurboFreak

NOBAMA
Jan 22, 2006
East Coast
garagefujimoto;1143709 said:
Here yah go...was sorta darkish, sucks being up north in fall/winter
Just a test, these will not be what I am going to run long-term.

[thumb]http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u128/garagefujimoto/70-132.jpg[/thumb]
[thumb]http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u128/garagefujimoto/70-13.jpg[/thumb]

Sell your left nut and get the S2 overs!!!!!!!!

Or pie cut those fenders and run em! Please? For me?

kbye.

why why why do I have to be so poor and in college...
I would make most of SM hate me for the things I'd do to a supra if I got my hands on another one...

garagefujimoto

Local Tire Destroyer
May 27, 2005
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
TurboFreak;1143720 said:
Sell your left nut and get the S2 overs!!!!!!!!

Or pie cut those fenders and run em! Please? For me?

hehe... the S2 overs are cool, but then i'd have to get 14 wide rims to get the same look hahahaha

the fenders are already undergoing pie-action.
if that doesnt work out, bolt on flares a la 260Z will be the case.

I'd run em, but the actual fronts are quite narrow, and it would be costly to buy new wheel barrels/hoops to add more lip in the front when i could just get the set i wanted

plus a 12 wide with a bit more offset will sit in the same spot but allow the use of sorta cheap 265's as opposed to not cheap at all 295's

TurboFreak

NOBAMA
Jan 22, 2006
East Coast
garagefujimoto;1143823 said:
hehe... the S2 overs are cool, but then i'd have to get 14 wide rims to get the same look hahahaha

the fenders are already undergoing pie-action.
if that doesnt work out, bolt on flares a la 260Z will be the case.

I'd run em, but the actual fronts are quite narrow, and it would be costly to buy new wheel barrels/hoops to add more lip in the front when i could just get the set i wanted

plus a 12 wide with a bit more offset will sit in the same spot but allow the use of sorta cheap 265's as opposed to not cheap at all 295's

That plan definitely works as well...:icon_surp

rodel

SoCal
May 19, 2005
SoCal
gtimportfanatic;1150671 said:
whats the widest tire i can fit on 17x8's .. i have a set that i wanna stagger.. but its 17x8 all around..

265 is the widest I'd go.

Personally on 17x8 all around, I'd go 235/45/17 all around, so that the tires could be rotated. If I really wanted to stagger the tires, I'd go 225/45/17 front and 245/45/17 rear.

Last edited:

Three3Sport

Jun 8, 2008
OH
From FredMK3 "Wheels are Enkei RPF1 17 X 9" +35 all around with 255/40 front and 275/40 Yokohama S-drive tires. Sits pretty flush to the fender and I could go 265 F and 285 R on those same wheels, maybe later down the road."

Like the RPF1's since lightweight,strong,and proven on the track for reliability,etc.
I like the aggressive look like Borhor 18" setup, but im looking for some 17's that aggressive. Other option Enkei has is 17x9 +22 and 17x10 +18.

So basically, 17x9 +35 & 17x10 +38 Versus 17x9 +22 & 17x10 +18

Was wondering if the lower offset affects daily driving? If not too much then im all for it. FredMK3 setup is still nice.:icon_surp but doesnt look too aggresive to me(my opinion). Anyways, nice thread and thx for any info.:biglaugh:

TurboFreak

NOBAMA
Jan 22, 2006
East Coast
Three3Sport;1154927 said:
17x9 +22 & 17x10 +18

Was wondering if the lower offset affects daily driving? If not too much then im all for it. FredMK3 setup is still nice.:icon_surp but doesnt look too aggresive to me(my opinion). Anyways, nice thread and thx for any info.:biglaugh:

The only way lower offsets would affect daily driving is if 1. you are running a lot of negative camber to fit them inside the fenders resulting in uneven tire wear 2. lower offset usually means it needs to be lowered more to look right, so in turn, it would be worse for daily driving because its lower...

Do it.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Low offset as in more outer lip?

If so it DOES affect daily driving as it screws with the front end Ackerman geometry and will scuff the inner edges of the tires on tight corners giving a feathered edge on the last inner tread row.

No biggie just something to be aware of as most people freak when they see it.

TurboFreak

NOBAMA
Jan 22, 2006
East Coast
IJ.;1154943 said:

Yep, that's what he means.

IJ.;1154943 said:
If so it DOES affect daily driving as it screws with the front end Ackerman geometry and will scuff the inner edges of the tires on tight corners giving a feathered edge on the last inner tread row.

Not everyone drives like you... :sarcasm:

Wiisass

Supramania Contributor
IJ.;1154943 said:

IJ, lower offset doesn't have an effect on Ackerman. Ackerman is determined by the pivots in the suspension.

Changing offset does effect a lot of other things though. It will affect your track width, spring/shock/bar installation ratios, scrub radius, roll center heights, and a bunch of other things.

Scrub radius is the thing that most people will complain about, but they normally don't really know what scrub radius means. The only effect that you will really feel from increasing scrub radius with a lower offset wheel will be under hard braking on rough roads, there will be more kickback force felt at the steering wheel due to the larger moment arm for the longitudinal force at the contact patch. Other than that, it doesn't effect too much unless you greatly increase it and I mean by a lot.

The rest, 99% of people won't notice or feel. And the changes are relatively small.

Anyway, for the wheels, lower offset is cooler, just know it will take a little work to fit big tires. But that work is worth it for how much better the car will look.

gtimportfanatic

Mk3 Addict
May 21, 2008
Hartford CT
rodel;1153068 said:
265 is the widest I'd go.

Personally on 17x8 all around, I'd go 235/45/17 all around, so that the tires could be rotated. If I really wanted to stagger the tires, I'd go 225/45/17 front and 245/45/17 rear.

im running 245s in the rear and 225 up front now on 17x7's ... i picked up a nice set of gold 17x8s and i wanna go as wide as possible for the rear.. i dont care about rotating them.. i have a hookup on tires lol..