What is the worst mistake you have ever done to your supra?

Sep 10, 2007
Virginia
four or five years ago I blew the head gasket on my dad's old '88 7mge on the highway going from norther VA to TN, and I didn't notice the temp needle until it did the little jump, little jump, then HUGE jump into RED... right before I threw it into N to shut it off, it was too late, and the gasket was toast.

we ended up replacing the HG in a gas station parking lot, where it got towed...got the head re-surfaced (really warped too), slapped on an autozone HG (also a HUGE mistake, but its not like there was a dealer in the area!!) and when we got it running, it was missing 1 or 2 injector o-rings (tally that to the mistakes...) and it ran like shit, but we were able to get it down the road to fix it again.

not to mention the reason for the trip was to go rescue my 95 saturn daily beater that we had rebuilt the motor on in TN and it had spun 2 rod bearings after 100 miles...ended up rebuilding the bottom end again, and wasted lots of money..but oh well.

87targa

Nov 14, 2005
Utah
left a ratchet on my crank pulley, cranked the car ratchet flew off and put a hole in my PWR radiator.

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Worst thing I did to my supra was rebuilding the bottom end, but forgetting to replace the thrust washers, then installing a 3200pb pressure plate.

1JZ crankwalked, and the seized on me 700km away from home.

I guess it was an excuse for me to go 1.5JZ though.

willfish

been here since 2003
Apr 23, 2005
Pittsburgh, Pa.
honestabe said:
Ran 87 octane gas in a 7M-GTE and blew 2 motors that way. I also bought a salvage title and didn't do my research. Not to mention cutting the core support with tin snips and not reinforcing it and stripping the interior.

Adam

curious, whats wrong with 87 octane ? the rest of you guys run 87 ?

Will

ms07s

TORGUE!
Sep 29, 2007
Memphis,Tn
willfish said:
curious, whats wrong with 87 octane ? the rest of you guys run 87 ?

Will
Surely you jest. 93 octane or nothing in ANY car I drive. 87 octane in my area is like half water.....

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
ms07s said:
Surely you jest. 93 octane or nothing in ANY car I drive. 87 octane in my area is like half water.....
:word8kn:

I read somewhere that JJ doesn't use anything but 87 or 89. I run 17psi of boost all the time and I want as high an octane as I can get.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Just to clear up some misconceptions here .....

Unless you're tuned to run higher octane ie:timing or boost you'll actually make LESS power the higher you go.

High Octane fuel isn't "more powerful" it's more knock resistant and burns slower than low octane.

High Octane in a motor not built/tuned to run it is stupid and is costing both $$$ and power.

jugodegolf

Supramania Contributor
Apr 5, 2005
Phoenix,AZ, United States
was at best buy getting rid of excess money tree leaves and I hear on the pa "will the owner of red toyota supra please come to the front"

well in Vegas it hardly rains and we had about a 30 min downpour with my targa off, interior was soaked. good news was in 110 heat didn't take long to dry it out.:biglaugh:

Mr.PFloyd

I am the Super Devil
Jun 22, 2005
Mississauga, Ontario
yes overseas they rate the Octane Levels differently. Sort of. In north america, we use Research octane rating, which rates the octane based on compression ratio, and overseas it is motor octane rating, which is what the rating would be under load.
So europe 91 is 87 over here. 95 is 91 here and so forth.
Edit. joe beat me, and had a discussion already lol.

blackout_89t

King of the roll
Apr 25, 2005
Toronto
Datsrboi said:
I somehow... Yes "somehow" picked up a m12-1.5 tap rather the M12-1.25 tap that I originally had.............

Ran all 14 holes on the block with M12-1.5 tap....... Not repairable. Good bye block. So Now I am sitting in my room wondering how the darn I am going to get this car running by new years. I can't even afford an engine hoist thanks to the headgasket and arp stud price..

Re-drill and tap with a larger diameter and use different screws.

LilMissMkIII

That Aussie Chick
Aug 18, 2006
Aussie Land
OneJoeZee said:
Yes it is. Look at the table.

Your gas octanes are rated differently in AUS.

CryoSlash said:
yes overseas they rate the Octane Levels differently. Sort of. In north america, we use Research octane rating, which rates the octane based on compression ratio, and overseas it is motor octane rating, which is what the rating would be under load.
So europe 91 is 87 over here. 95 is 91 here and so forth.
Edit. joe beat me, and had a discussion already lol.

Yes, we are now well aware they are rated differently, however what I was curious about is which reading exactly is it in that table that one would generally be referring to when talking about fuel.

(may be a really stupid question, but this is not something i have ever learnt about nor discussed in any great detail, and think it may be a useful thing for me to know on an international forum such as this) :)