What is the worst mistake you have ever done to your supra?

chedderknight

PiYauD-BaKa
Apr 4, 2005
Glendale, CA
www.myspace.com
chrisfromda909 said:
Haha thought you were a wangan racer.

Almost biggest mistake, thinking I could drive from Hollywood to Manhattan Beach with no oil.
Thought that one through and decided against it lol.

Biggest mistake, driving it home at night after a complete swap from my wrecked supra in 3 days (motor tranny diff suspension wiring) without checking to see if the taillights were working. Pulled over and towed, tow yard put it in the junkyard.

Nah, was just going home and wasn't paying attention to the road, so hit a patch of soft dirt/sand and slid into the mountain

vdragonmpc

tireflaminrumpshaker
Apr 11, 2005
Colonial Heights
www.joncjennings.com
Datsrboi said:
I somehow... Yes "somehow" picked up a m12-1.5 tap rather the M12-1.25 tap that I originally had.............

Ran all 14 holes on the block with M12-1.5 tap....... Not repairable. Good bye block. So Now I am sitting in my room wondering how the darn I am going to get this car running by new years. I can't even afford an engine hoist thanks to the headgasket and arp stud price..

They DO make a kind of tap head that will work. I just saw them this weekend. THEY ARE NOT HELICOILS! Go to a fastener shop and look for tap heads or just describe them to a guy. Its a threaded tube (like helicoil) but with 4 tabs that protrude from the top. when you screw the new threads in and they are in place you tap the 4 tabs in place and you now have a rethreaded hole.

I watched this done on a friends motorcycle head and its a very clean fix.

If you are interested I can ask him for the specifics (he is the machinist)

Chris

suprra_girl

7M POWAH! ;)
Mar 30, 2005
Auckland, New Zealand
www.supra.co.nz
i guess mine was letting someone that didn't know thrust washers had a right way and a wrong way (obviously wasn't that clued up, didn't realise then) :3d_frown:

for those that don't know, it creates crankwalk and makes your block & crank a paperweight :nono:

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
suprra_girl said:
i guess mine was letting someone that didn't know thrust washers had a right way and a wrong way (obviously wasn't that clued up, didn't realise then) :3d_frown:

for those that don't know, it creates crankwalk and makes your block & crank a paperweight :nono:

annoyingrob said:
Worst thing I did to my supra was rebuilding the bottom end, but forgetting to replace the thrust washers. 1JZ crankwalked, and the seized on me 700km away from home.

Live and learn.

Kurb Appeal

Put out or Get out
Oct 28, 2007
Casper,WY
www.cardomain.com
I somehow... Yes "somehow" picked up a m12-1.5 tap rather the M12-1.25 tap that I originally had.............

Ran all 14 holes on the block with M12-1.5 tap....... Not repairable. Good bye block. So Now I am sitting in my room wondering how the darn I am going to get this car running by new years. I can't even afford an engine hoist thanks to the headgasket and arp stud price..

You can put in a heli coil in there. Do not put in inserts. Buy a kit that is for the stock size, drill and retap, then insert heli coils. It might cost a little but cheaper than re doing it all. This came from a rocket scientist at nasa that I know.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Kurb Appeal said:
You can put in a heli coil in there. Do not put in inserts. Buy a kit that is for the stock size, drill and retap, then insert heli coils. It might cost a little but cheaper than re doing it all. This came from a rocket scientist at nasa that I know.

IJ. said:
"Keensert"

I wouldn't use them for head bolt holes a traditional Helicoil would be better but expensive to get enough length of coils in each hole.
:runaway:

driftboi

Jun 3, 2007
Seattle
IJ. said:
Filters only flow one way (non return valve in most)

If you reverse the IN/OUT you get 0 oil pressure.
Thats exactly what I did and I still feel like an Idiot. Something so obvious that I never pay attention to the in/out symbol.

ILikeCarsYesIDo

Permanently Banned
Nov 26, 2007
Hayward, CA
driftboi said:
Thats exactly what I did and I still feel like an Idiot. Something so obvious that I never pay attention to the in/out symbol.

Yeah I just installed my oil filter relocation kit and I definitely made sure to pay attention the INs and OUTs. Did you also run it through the stock oil filter hardlines?

If I remember correctly, on the adapter to the block, the middle one is the IN and the one towards the edge is OUT. I have mine set up to OUT of block > IN to relocated oil filter > OUT of filter > IN oil cooler > OUT oil cooler > IN adapter at block.