The (old) Official Gun Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
trucker said:
Just out of curiosity, is there a relatively affordable semi-auto on the market for left handers?Bolt action rifles are bad enough, but i really don't want empty casings whizzing across my face...

i know exactly what you mean. all sorts of pistols disagree with me, but ive learned to shoot on right-hand bolt action

Shytheed Dumas

For Sale
Mar 6, 2006
Louisville, KY
The good news is that even though your dominant eye has a lot to do with right or left handed shooting, it is possible to change your eye dominance; just cover your dominant eye for an hour each night while you watch TV.

I have always been right handed, left dominant eye, but my left eye is really bad so I changed it after talking to my CCW instructer. Worked great.

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
Mk3runner said:
I figure my next gun will be a ar15. I put about 100 rounds through my friends bushmaster and it rocks. cept I'm only buying the lower receiver since I can't afford the whole thing in one whack.

May I suggest building the upper first. The lower is what is considered by the ATF to be the fire arm, hence why the lower has the serial number.

outofstep

Mar 31, 2005
fwb
MDCmotorsports said:
May I suggest building the upper first. The lower is what is considered by the ATF to be the fire arm, hence why the lower has the serial number.

Nope. The first thing you want to buy is the lower. The upper is much different in building than the lower. It takes many specialized tool and gauges to build it properly. That's the reason you seen complete uppers or barreled uppers for sale all the time, instead of kits that have the component unassembled. Unless you REALLY know wtf you're doing, don't build an upper.

You almost always start from the bottom and work your way up.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

MDCmotorsports

SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
outofstep said:
Nope. The first thing you want to buy is the lower. The upper is much different in building than the lower. It takes many specialized tool and gauges to build it properly. That's the reason you seen complete uppers or barreled uppers for sale all the time, instead of kits that have the component unassembled. Unless you REALLY know wtf you're doing, don't build an upper.

You almost always start from the bottom and work your way up.

6 one way, half a dozen the other.

I meant to buy the upper as a complete whole or as a whole that has been taken apart but previously assembled.

Uppers = no FFL or paper work. So if you don't have the cash, don't deal with the feds for the time being is my thinking.

outofstep

Mar 31, 2005
fwb
Different stokes I guess. If you have the lower you already own the firearm. If a ban snuck up, you're good to go as you would be grandfathered in. If you had abunch of uppers laying around but no lowers, you would be SOL if a ban hit. Besides, a 4413 takes like 2 minutes to finish. So it's not like the Fed aspect is some kinda big deal.

Clueless

Banned
Feb 22, 2006
Columbus, Indiana
Shytheed Dumas said:
The good news is that even though your dominant eye has a lot to do with right or left handed shooting, it is possible to change your eye dominance; just cover your dominant eye for an hour each night while you watch TV.

I have always been right handed, left dominant eye, but my left eye is really bad so I changed it after talking to my CCW instructer. Worked great.

eye patch?

Squid699

Manic Mechanic
Mar 30, 2005
Chesapeake, VA
If you aren't sure what eye is dominant, hold your hands out at arms length and make a triangle with your left and right thumbs and fore fingers. Place an object across the room in the center of the triangle. Close one eye, then close the other. Whichever eye had the object centered is your dominant eye. If your dominant eye isn't the same as your dominant hand, I have a method that I used to change it:

I would practice attaining a site picture (always with a cleared weapon with NO ammunition even in the same room as me) with my dominant eye closed and slowly open it until both eyes were open. As I was opening my eye, I would force myself to focus on the site picture I already had so that I was training my brain that was the one I wanted to focus on. It was a slow process, but after a few sessions, it finally took.

90T04

Mar 30, 2005
Tucson, AZ
www.azsupras.com
Bought a new toy the other night. Springfield XD-40 sub compact. I wanted something smaller since im getting my CCW this weekend.

This thing is so much harder to shoot accurately than my 1911. Recoil is pretty harsh. My first 10 rounds took up a 2 foot area at 30" distance. Gradually they got better over 150 rounds but I'm still at a 6 or 8" grouping. I realize I need to break in the trigger and get used to the weight etc, but I am probably still not going to use it to qualify for my CCW test. :biglaugh:

p616542_1.jpg

p616542_2.jpg

p616542_3.jpg

MDCmotorsports

SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
Nioce!

I took my Walther P99 out to the range today and Im having alot of problems with it.

Im shooting low and left.

Ive tried different hand grips, stances, and nada.

Ive also put two clicks of windage into the rear sight and changed the front sight.

Improved, but still all across the board.

We solved one problem today - my breathing pattern. It only fixed part of the problem.

I personally think its the trigger. Its got alot of pull before it actually puts up tention and then BANG.

Any body with any help?

If I can't get this to shoot right, Im going back to a 1911 frame style. I know I can shoot those as I have done so in the past.

Shytheed Dumas

For Sale
Mar 6, 2006
Louisville, KY
Jon, I'm relatively new to the pistol scene but what I've been told over and over again, and it does match my learning curve so far, is that low shots are due to anticipating the shot and shots left are due to having too much finger on the trigger - as a right handed shooter, anyway. I've slowly been improving both by concentrating on these things. One way to get rid of the anticipation is to buy some snap caps and practice dry firing in you living room, because it gets you very familiar with your trigger's break point and you tend to anticipate it a little less.

I don't know how they could've gotten something sooo right 100 years ago, but I can shot rings around my 9mm with my 1911. That design just fits naturally into my hand and works better for me even though the .45 is a bit more harsh to shoot than a 9mm.

90T04 - I likey! :bigthumb:

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
MDCmotorsports said:
Kurt, explain to me "Too much finger on the trigger."

Pulling it to hard, your trigger finger is putting enough pressure on the frame of the gun to make it cock to the left slightly. I weaker trigger might help you.

Shytheed Dumas

For Sale
Mar 6, 2006
Louisville, KY
MDCmotorsports said:
Kurt, explain to me "Too much finger on the trigger."

People tend to pull the trigger with their first knuckle, or close to it, when the tip of your finger should be used to squeeze it. I was shooting way to the left when I first got that suggestion and saw an immediate shift toward the target. I didn't realize I had that much of my finger inside the trigger guard.

Squid699

Manic Mechanic
Mar 30, 2005
Chesapeake, VA
+1 on too much finger on the trigger.

Have a buddy load a couple snap caps (plastic dummy rounds) into your magazine for you. You'll get a really good idea of what you're wrist and finger are doing in anticipation of the shot. Practice, practice, practice slow and clean pulls straight back with the tip of your finger.

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
Shytheed Dumas said:
People tend to pull the trigger with their first knuckle, or close to it, when the tip of your finger should be used to squeeze it. I was shooting way to the left when I first got that suggestion and saw an immediate shift toward the target. I didn't realize I had that much of my finger inside the trigger guard.

Ehh, thats better explaination, to much power pulling the trigger too. I see this when I play paint, yea I know paint is 1/1000th as accurate as a bullet, but same theory applies.

Status
Not open for further replies.