The (old) Official Gun Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

outofstep

Mar 31, 2005
fwb
Can you take a close up pic of the slide and of the slide rail on the PT1911? I'd really like to see how Taurus did on their 1911. As funny as it sounds, I'm thinking they did a better job than Sig did with their POS GSR 1911.

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
Clueless said:
I always wanted to get a S&W .40 cal

pix2935167625.jpg

....or....

pix2983394031.jpg

Any suggestions?

First, I wanted to publically say Im sorry for having you confused with another of our Columbus members. The other member being a young man at Columbus North.

Second, I would suggest the m&p over the sigma. Although the sigma can be had for almost $275 brand new, it has a 12-15lb trigger pull.

Personally, I picked up this instead of the m&p:

WAP78053_sm.jpg

Walther p99 in black and tan. I personally like the 8lb or less trigger pull on the P99QA. I also like the grip better than the m&p or sigma. Last, I have the Walther P22. I figured Id go ahead and get the big brother. :)

Shytheed Dumas

For Sale
Mar 6, 2006
Louisville, KY
Jon, it sounds like you've got the light and mid calibers covered. Time to step up to a .45! I can't get over how sweet that 1911 is to shoot, and I've been carrying it a lot. 5" barrel or not, that thin profile works really well in a belt holster and an untucked shirt.

OOS, I forgot to take pics of the slide and rail last time I stripped the Taurus down, but I will try to get it Friday when I get back to the range.

Squid, I didn't think taking the MKIII Ruger was as bad as everybody made it out to be. I am thinking about trading it in for a Buckmark, though. For some reason I had to adjust my windage to the extreme right to hit a POA at ranges up to 20 yards. Before anybody says "too much finger on the trigger", I was shooting dead on with my 9mm and 1911. Something's wrong with that gun... :(

MDCmotorsports

SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
Not yet Kurt:

I need to get something chambered in 9mm. I sold my 1911 STI chambered in 9mm.

Im also looking for an older (military style / issue) 1911 in .45, and Im looking for a colt government .380 (not the mustang). Its a mini 1911 and great for carrying.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
MDCmotorsports said:
I sold my 1911 STI chambered in 9mm.

Why did you get rid of it so soon? If I recall correctly you bought it around the end of February, didn't you? Have a problem with it?

Oh, and by the way, the bodies of the victims of the Virginia shootings probably aren't even at room temperature yet, and media whoring has already begun:

http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/atlarge/2007/04/guns_dont_kill_but_they_make_k.html

The school had a strict 'no guns' policy in the buildings where the shootings took place. This did not stop the shooter.

There is no law that can be passed that will completely remove guns from the hands of criminals. Outlawing guns will only remove them from law abiding citizens.

But they are politicizing this tragedy as we speak kids.

Hold on to 'em tight, people are about to try to take them away from you.

Mk3runner

Supramania Contributor
Nov 19, 2006
Nor Cal
its a trip huh.. Virginia shootings outta nowhere. when I first heard about it it was said to be 30 dead. that was a few hours ago tho. well shit if they try and take my weapons cuz of crap like this then what are we to do when we got some ass trying to run off with my property? none the less its a damn shame to hear that this happened.

MDCmotorsports

SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
Supracentral said:
Why did you get rid of it so soon? If I recall correctly you bought it around the end of February, didn't you? Have a problem with it?

Oh, and by the way, the bodies of the victims of the Virginia shootings probably aren't even at room temperature yet, and media whoring has already begun:

http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/atlarge/2007/04/guns_dont_kill_but_they_make_k.html

The school had a strict 'no guns' policy in the buildings where the shootings took place. This did not stop the shooter.

There is no law that can be passed that will completely remove guns from the hands of criminals. Outlawing guns will only remove them from law abiding citizens.

But they are politicizing this tragedy as we speak kids.

Hold on to 'em tight, people are about to try to take them away from you.

Well without bashing STI, the LS9 is a race car.... er supra. You have to work on it every time you take it out.

Great gun, just not for me. Shot like a champ. It would shoot as fast as you could pull the trigger. It was accurate. It had low recoil (almost .22 ish). Great craftsmanship. VERY PICKY about the ammo it ate. VERY VERY VERY picky about how clean the ramp and barrell lip were. If either were dirty, you got a FTFeed.

I was just about to post in the Pol. Forum asking the question:

"If the teachers and or students were LEGALLY (as in trained and or licensed) armed, do you think the Virginia shootings would have been as deadly as they were?"

Yotaholic

Apr 2, 2007
Nfld.Canada
Ahh guns and cars great site !!

I'm a different kind of gun nut I guess they only come out when i'm hungry :biglaugh:

small collection of rifles and shotguns

22 cal semi Win
410 SS H & R
30 30 Win
12 guage pump Rem.
10 guage ( old goose gun )
300 Win mag Ruger ( Ducks Unlimited 60th anv. )

Best shot: last years moose 845yrds right in the back of the head ( 14 point 39" spread ) pic in truck
145lb front 1/4's
130lb rear 1/'s
= 550lbs of moose burgers :aigo:
some pics of a few brown clowns !!
p585461_1.jpg

p585461_2.jpg

p585461_3.jpg

p585461_4.jpg

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
brand new to the AR target world, where would I start to look into building one of these? we've got a play at school that im in ("grunts", soldiers' stories of Vietnam) and we got a few rubber duckies. didn't realize how good the m4's fit me, and i wanted to get started learning about building them like some of you all in this thread.

souprat

Mar 30, 2005
fairfax VA
i dont have any personal expiriance with olympic arms but the stuff i read said to avoide them. and the bushmaster lower reciever i looked at when i bought my lower were twice the price of DPMS and Double Star.

in the end i think i spent 700-800$$ on my AR. its all rock river except the lower reciever and the carry handle.

building the gun is easy as shit, and its fun to shoot.

Clip: ar15.com read the build instructions and just surf around. youll find what you need.

Adjuster

Supramania Contributor
I was just shooting a Bushmaster Carbon 15 Pistol... Oh that's a fun one for sure, but you have to use good ammo, the Wolf stuff sticks in a hot chamber on this pistol.

My 9mm Tarus PT99 only had one failure to chamber, and that was due to a RamLine mag that I will be replacing ASAP. (POS for sure, but it does hold 17 rounds.. but has trouble feeding the shorter 9MM FMJHP ammo.)

I just replaced two roll pins that had failed, now 21 years later from when I bought the gun.. Also ported and polished the feed ramp, and cleaned up and polished any wear areas, and coated them with TSX from Techlinecoatings.com.. this stuff is a dry lubricant, and it works GREAT. No fouling, and it does not attract powder residue etc. You do have to re-apply the TSX after you use any solvent based cleaner on the gun however. (No big deal, just buff it into the wear areas with a Q-Tip and it's done.)

I have decided to buy a .22 conversion for my PT99, and replace my Pachmyer grips with some from Crimson Trace. (I was looking at the guide rod laser sight, but I like the CT setup better, and it will work with both the 9mm setup, and the .22 conversion I'm buying.)

Anyone have, or have shot the conversion from this guy in Florida?
http://www.22lrconversions.com/hpk-pg.htm

It appears to be an excellent setup, and 15 rounds is awesome! (Two mags, and the conversion is about 200.00 so quite a great deal too.)

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
thanks all. now for a harder part: in looking around on those sites, i see no one carrying a left-side ejection upper receiver. am i gonna have to learn to shoot right-handed?

trucker

Feb 18, 2006
i'm bad, i'm nationwide
Just out of curiosity, is there a relatively affordable semi-auto on the market for left handers?Bolt action rifles are bad enough, but i really don't want empty casings whizzing across my face...

Last edited by a moderator:

Mk3runner

Supramania Contributor
Nov 19, 2006
Nor Cal
I figure my next gun will be a ar15. I put about 100 rounds through my friends bushmaster and it rocks. cept I'm only buying the lower receiver since I can't afford the whole thing in one whack.

Status
Not open for further replies.