The long Awaited SupraHero 1JayZ Build

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
Damn, that's an expensive clutch. Hey Jay, do you think you can have a clutch made for your car like the some of the guys from Louisville did? What did they call that place that made them... KY clutch? Is the pressure plate diferent on a 1JZ with an R154 or not? If not, I'd look at getting an 3200 lb pressure plate with a custom made clutch disk ;).

bobiseverywhere

bobb'n for money
Apr 1, 2005
Montreal
www.bobiseverywhere.com
starscream5000 said:
Damn, that's an expensive clutch. Hey Jay, do you think you can have a clutch made for your car like the some of the guys from Louisville did? What did they call that place that made them... KY clutch? Is the pressure plate diferent on a 1JZ with an R154 or not? If not, I'd look at getting an 3200 lb pressure plate with a custom made clutch disk ;).

one thing i have learned from other people is if you put on a higher pressure plate then stock with the 1J is Disconnect your Starter safety switch on the clutch. Problems with a bearing and crank walk down the road if you have the clutch in on a heavy pressure plate and starting the engine.

have heard that from a few people

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
I read that too Josh, but I don't know what they mean. I did my five speed swap so I don't know if that is hooked up or not. Could you elaborate on what it means?

Chris, I'll try out the clutch I've got ordered and then be on the lookout for a better one...........lol

bobiseverywhere

bobb'n for money
Apr 1, 2005
Montreal
www.bobiseverywhere.com
The 1J has a small weak point

With Pressure plates that have high pressures when starting the engine with the clutch it, for some reason there is an issue with the pressure of all this pulling against the crank at start up. So to avoid this people default the safety switch to have it always be connected so that you can start the engine with out have the addition forces pulling on the crank/ To save you from any issue that could happen. It does something to the Bearing at the end of the Crank with all the extra force against it on start up.

The saftey switch is only there so you do not start you car in gear

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
There's was a big 2J crank walk sticky on SF in the MKIV section. Saying basically the same thing Josh is saying. You might want to avoid really heavy single disc clutches with the clutch safety switch. Same concept applies to us.

A twin plate clutch, or triple if you're feelin froggy, might be what you want to look for in the future for your next clutch choice.

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56195&highlight=Crank+walk

Here's a summation of the topic from a knowledgeable member.

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showpost.php?p=771716&postcount=13

Now if you'll excuse me, today is the first day of school and I need to get outta here. Hope those links help.:)

suprahooked

Built 7M
Jun 20, 2006
pa
Jay there is two switches on the clutch pedal the bottom one is the clutch saftey switch and the top one is for the cruise control. Hope this helps John:biglaugh:

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Thanks alot Josh and Joe.................Court is still open on you John................;)

I got a call from NewEraPerformance today about my injectors. It seems that my SARD 540 injectors are flowing 620cc's. Everyone of them is between 619-620. That is why I can't lean my car out enough with the safcII. I'm almost double what the stock injectors are. I've sent an email to RHDJapan to see what they're going to do about them. I want what I paid for and not something they had lying around. I'll keep you informed of their customer service................lol

da89soup

World I Am Gay Blue!!!
Dec 2, 2005
Fargo ND
^^^ Well there you go it looks like you found one of your biggest problems. Hopefully all will work out with getting some new 550's and then on to the biggest task of trying to get those injectors back into the car the way Ricky got them out....:biglaugh:

Hopefully you can get the new clutch and injectors in by next weekend so you can actually try out your new short shifter for real instead of pretending to shift while making pssst sounds......lol:icon_razz

bobiseverywhere

bobb'n for money
Apr 1, 2005
Montreal
www.bobiseverywhere.com
Wow Jay that Explains allot, I could almost bet it was a stock error someone put the wrong things in the wrong box in the warehouse or something.

I would mention to them that because of there error you had almost damaged your newly built engine

soapra

Supramania Contributor
Apr 6, 2005
VVTi'n, CA
www.kaizenmotorsport.com
bobiseverywhere said:
what would you say is better Jose

and why is the TRD Clutch so bad?

When i needed parts to rebuild it, they would tell me that they dont make it for jza70 anymore but if I asked if they have it for jzx90 they said, Oh yea we have that clutch, but we dont sell replacement parts for it. TRD USA sucks ass and that is why they dont exist here anymore. I give it one thing, It was easy to drive but it was as heavy as stock flywheel and stock preassure plate.

The Exedy is by far the best in customer support and it also uses all stock parts like the TRD. Best bang for the buck and performance from Exedy, but it's a little hard to drive for the person that thinks 6 puck clutches are hard to drive. Lighter then TRD also helps the engine come to life.

The OS Giken is by far the most easy clutch to slip (drag launches) but the pull type to push type conversion does make things harder specially if you break something, it usually means that it's going to cost lots of cash to get it repalced and it's harder to find parts.

bobiseverywhere

bobb'n for money
Apr 1, 2005
Montreal
www.bobiseverywhere.com
Thanks for the info Jose

HPF Claim that they have replacement disks available for the TRD according to there website

Which Exedy did you use? I have never used an after market clutch before so i don't know anything about ease of use. If the Exedy setup is light and requires less modification or none then thats the clutch for me :)

mk3forme

Apr 5, 2005
Lexington KY
damn post fiends!! I have spent the better part of 3 days trying to catch up on this thread. You guys need to SLOWWWWWWW down. LOL. Really though this is an awesome thread. The pics and vidoes make it majorly!! This is like a good book. You start reading and cant stop. This might help with problems I know I will have with my JZ swap as well. The car looks great but I was wondering about painting interior parts. Is it special paint and is it prone to chipping and scratches and things like normal painted anything? I must saythough,, of both cars, Vixens is the hottest. Im partial to white! Good luck with your current problems. I know you will get them worked out

da89soup

World I Am Gay Blue!!!
Dec 2, 2005
Fargo ND
mk3forme said:
The car looks great but I was wondering about painting interior parts. Is it special paint and is it prone to chipping and scratches and things like normal painted anything?

Um its magic paint!!!! :biglaugh:

It is interior base that we had mixed up. As far as holding up well I guess time will tell??? We did a bunch of prep work to the interior parts we painted. We scuff sanded everything with a scotch pad and then we preped with acetone and a tac cloth to make sure we had a clean surface. We didnt paint anything like door handles ect that would see abuse from touching or rubbing ect. I think it should hold up very well. I painted my leather headliner and leather targa insert with the same suff two years ago and it has held up well in ND extreme heat and cold. The paint is very durable and requires no primer its just a one step. It really goes on nice but I did have to fan my paint gun really wide to get it to come out the way it did. The paint was kinda thick also. We used my HVLP 1.3 Finex finishing gun to put the paint on but the paint was almost to thick for that tip. If you are going to do it I would recomend like a 1.5 or 1.8 tip. So basicly like a priming gun would be best!! I had my 1.8 Finex along but it was conventional and there is no way Jays compressor would have held it so we were stuck with my HVLP.

p531272_1.jpg

This is Jays favorite picture it is his screensaver on his computer and my screensaver now as well. The paint really soaked in nice and it really doesnt look painted. Thats what I liked about it when it was finished. I hope I answered your questions if you have anything else you would like to know feel free to shoot me a PM.

Last edited:

da89soup

World I Am Gay Blue!!!
Dec 2, 2005
Fargo ND
^^^ I would but thanks to Vixens good old Southern cooken I am on a serious diet and not allowed to eat anymore of her food until next year. Vixen is by far the best cook ever. I have no Idea how Jay stays so thin??? From the southern fried chicken (oh my god so good) to Jays favorite cheese dip its probibly like a 3000 calorie a day adventure. Oh and dont forget the sweet tee!!!:icon_razz

My hope is to get Jay up here for a long weekend this summer. I dont know how I can afford to feed him since he eats every two hours but I guess thats why there are home equity loans.....:biglaugh: