The long Awaited SupraHero 1JayZ Build

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
It's the cams, I think cam gears with some adjustment will make that engine really come alive. The torque being that low isn't because of the engine or the turbo, it's all in the tuning and the cams.

da89soup

World I Am Gay Blue!!!
Dec 2, 2005
Fargo ND
^^^ Well there you have it folks the Big Aaron has solved the Hero's problems.....:icon_bigg

So 2J map sensor and cam gears and Jay should have a beast!!!:evil2:

Aaron thanks for going down and helping Jay you really showed us all your commitment to us and this websight. When I am ready for a build you are so getting my buisness and every penny my wife wont let me spend...lol

da89soup

World I Am Gay Blue!!!
Dec 2, 2005
Fargo ND
Scott, Jay splained it all to me on the phone today and it sounds like he has it all figured out. Its his build thread so I will let him tell everyone what he is doing and how he is solving the small problems. Rest assured that all systems should be a go in two weeks for the next dyno.

Where is our favorite hillbilly tonight anyway????

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
I'm glad I could help out, and it couldn't have been for a better guy. Jay and Vonda are so nice, and Vonda can really cook! Southern hospitality is the best. Everyone was very cool. Jay's two girls are so cute, and so well mannered. I hope Roxane and I can be as good of parents as Jay and Vonda when we have kids some day.

It was nice to meet Jeffrey and Keith and Ricky!

They also have a great local dyno shop with a VERY knowledgeable owner/operator, and he has tons of experience with all sorts of engines.

It was a great trip, I really enjoyed it.

btw
I went by Milo's on the way to the airport, now that was a good burger!

Nate requested this pic:
p506963_1.jpg

Last edited:

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
My car is a little more photgenic than I am, but I've spent alot more money on it's appearance than I have on mine.................:biglaugh:

As you already know, Aaron is a great guy, and really, really fun to hang out with. He is like a six foot three kid that knows alot about supras. He is always smiling and having fun, and that makes it easy to like him, and easy to work with. I could never ever put into words how much I appreciated him flying across the country to bail me out of a jam......................:bowdown:

Scott, I've questioned alot of things during this build, but mostly it was my ability to put it back together that I questioned. I may have doubted the positives versus negatives of the cams, but I don't remember questioning if they would work or not. The tolerances do seem a little tight on the exhaust side. I don't know what that will do to my compression though. Their suppose to be at .012 and I can barely stick a .008 shim in there. Could this be the problem? If it is then I'll need to order some shims for it and redo the tolerances.

Suprahooked, I didn't send him anywhere. I was actually trying to find him a house around here to move into and a place where we could open up a new shop:
DRIFTMOTION / Alabama Style

I really enjoyed meeting RacerXJ220 as well as his friend Ray. I've spoken with Jeff on the phone numerous times, but never met him until this weekend. His car is going to be a beast whenever he gets it finished.

Hopefully the 2jz map sensor will also help with my tuning. I'm hoping it helps with the way it's still dumping in loads of fuel.

I'll post more as I figure things out. Unfortunately I've got to get back to work to make more money for other parts. OH and Jose, I'll buy a standalone from you if you fly out here and install it....................:biglaugh:

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
suprahero said:
The tolerances do seem a little tight on the exhaust side. I don't know what that will do to my compression though. Their suppose to be at .012 and I can barely stick a .008 shim in there. Could this be the problem?

If memory serves me correctly this indeed could be a contributing factor in your compression. Basically, if the tollerance is too tight, the valve doesnt seat all the way allowing a little blowby. I cant say I feel confident that is 100% of your problem, but it certainly could be a contributing factor.

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
With that .272 lift it could be an issue, but I think it's also in the overlap, which the cam gears can correct. I know when we were making adjustments with my cam gears it made big changes in hp vs tq.

RacerXJ220

Interdimensional
Mar 30, 2005
Abalama
Jay, post a pic of the cam card that came with the small cores. I want to see if the overlap is that bad.

Also, what's your vacuum at idle?

I not arguing with anyone, I just don't think the small core cams would drop static compression 30 points, and I'd like to see the card anyway.

FYI, cam card for large cores.

p507387_1.jpg

Jay, if yours are .008 for the intake, then it looks good according to crower.

Super trick vid on how to degree the cams out of the box.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MsqA-C3vGI

But uh, yeah.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
My card reads that it needs -1 ATDC for the intake and -9 BTDC for exhaust.
My lift is .344 for intake and exhaust. It also saids that my clearance for intake is .008 and my exhaust is .010 which is closer to what it is. I printed something off of the internet and it said exhaust needed to be .012. I'm going to go check the intake side clearances in a minute. I'll post back the results...........lol

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
bigaaron said:
With that .272 lift it could be an issue, but I think it's also in the overlap, which the cam gears can correct. I know when we were making adjustments with my cam gears it made big changes in hp vs tq.

I'm holding you to this....................:evil2:

JAV, I guess I'll have to leave the name of the shop up to Aaron and Jose............:biglaugh:

Thanks Weezl.