T61 Bolt on Turbo by Cx Racing

mexinuggets

Mar 14, 2009
Troutdale
well i bought one and there is no coolant passages. simply oil cooled and the oil lines definitely do not bolt up. oil inlet is on the top side of the turbo, and the oil outlet will most likely have to be replaced with high heat rubber hose fastened on with clamps. only bolt up part about it is the turbine inlet and downpipe flange... really disapointed in it actually, i should have done my research first.

Apr 10, 2008
South East USA
"coolant lines had to be looped of course" - I blocked off the turbo coolant lines with plugs when I went to oil cooled only because I wanted one less point of failure.

Also did the custom hoses with my turbo upgrade> Mine are braided stainless outside with teflon hose internally. Hoses set me back under $100 done professionally at a hydraulic shop. The flanges were more than I expected.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
You just removed the t-stat bypass :3d_frown:

If you want to bypass it completely, change the water neck off the head to the N/A part and use the bypass line from that.

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
mexinuggets;1449848 said:
well i bought one and there is no coolant passages. simply oil cooled and the oil lines definitely do not bolt up. oil inlet is on the top side of the turbo, and the oil outlet will most likely have to be replaced with high heat rubber hose fastened on with clamps. only bolt up part about it is the turbine inlet and downpipe flange... really disapointed in it actually, i should have done my research first.

935motorsports;1449861 said:
Yes, with any T3/T4 upgrade, you are going to need a custom set of oil lines. I'm sorry nobody mentioned that before. What you will buy on ebay is not a "bolt on".

This was mentioned before and even noticeable in the pictures.

easternguy2005;1449917 said:
"coolant lines had to be looped of course" - I blocked off the turbo coolant lines with plugs when I went to oil cooled only because I wanted one less point of failure.

Also did the custom hoses with my turbo upgrade> Mine are braided stainless outside with teflon hose internally. Hoses set me back under $100 done professionally at a hydraulic shop. The flanges were more than I expected.

:3d_frown: wrong. loop it.

Fubar231

Apr 2, 2008
columbus
If you go to a Oil Cooled Only turbo you should run your coolant line like this, instead of just blocking it off which is bad.
dlgateway.php

The pic is taken from driftmotions site as they sell a kit for $45.
http://store.driftmotion.com/static/i-7mturbocoolantbypasshose.php

89supra7mgte

Sep 20, 2009
colorado
By just blocking the cooling lines you are not eliminating point of failure only moving it. would recommend looping for sure. It is a circulating system, which if plugged can create pressures not needed which in turn causes failures.

paradox616

Sep 12, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
I've decided to run it as is and see how long it lasts...

the accordion hose will not stretch over the inducer.

i used some 3" silicon hose to bridge it and used polyurethane to ensure a seal (its only vacuum anyway)

p1450581_1.jpg

here is another comparison photo
p1450581_2.jpg

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
the actuator size is irrelevant in terms of boost creep. Its the hole for the 'flapper' or whatever you want to call it that matters from what i understand

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
which in this case the hole is larger vs stock so boost creep shouldn't be too much of an issue given the size wheels people stuff into the stock housing w/o too much issue

paradox616

Sep 12, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
IwantMKIII;1451038 said:
which in this case the hole is larger vs stock so boost creep shouldn't be too much of an issue given the size wheels people stuff into the stock housing w/o too much issue

with a larger turbo there is less back pressure built up anyway, yes the wastegate is larger than stock when i can be bothered ill measure it