T61 Bolt on Turbo by Cx Racing

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
935motorsports;1429469 said:
We are installing right now. Customer decided to just try it out as is.

First issue I see is that it's using 12mm studs instead of 14mm studs. That could be a problem.

Will report back when completed.
Cool. Keep us updated!

The exhaust wheel looks HUGE compared to the stock CT.

paradox616

Sep 12, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
evidence of balancing of the comp wheel strange place for it

notice the housings are cast not glued exhaust housing weighs a tonne

p1429760_1.jpg

p1429760_2.jpg

p1429760_3.jpg

p1429760_4.jpg

p1429760_5.jpg

Neodeuccio

Addicted to boost...
Sep 30, 2006
Schenectady NY
It looks like we'll actually get a good information about this turbo, which is AWESOME!
You guys are the shit!

Now, quick question that I don't think has been discussed yet:
What supporting mods, if any, would be required to run this turbo compared to stock?

My engine is really almost stock, with a metal head gasket and arp studs. If I were to pick this up, and slap it on, what else would I need to do to be effective?

Ma70.Ent

Supramania Contributor
Feb 26, 2006
NJ
Neodeuccio;1429762 said:
My engine is really almost stock, with a metal head gasket and arp studs. If I were to pick this up, and slap it on, what else would I need to do to be effective?

If you haven't done exhaust modifications, do that. Then you'll have to make sure you don't hit fuel cut so often, and there are a couple of routes for that. (Lex AFM/550cc, etc.). Upgrading your fuel pump is usually recommended, as well as upgrading the intercooler. Finally, you'll need a tune, either piggyback or standalone.

Neodeuccio

Addicted to boost...
Sep 30, 2006
Schenectady NY
Ma70.Ent;1429768 said:
If you haven't done exhaust modifications, do that. Then you'll have to make sure you don't hit fuel cut so often, and there are a couple of routes for that. (Lex AFM/550cc, etc.). Upgrading your fuel pump is usually recommended, as well as upgrading the intercooler. Finally, you'll need a tune, either piggyback or standalone.

Well, the exhaust is something I've been planning for a while, but I have to get her running first. Once she's running, exhaust is NBD. I hadn't really planned on doing the intercooler until I move to a FFIM, but that's a way's off, so I guess I'll need to add an intermediate step, but that's not too hard. AFM and injectors should be fairly easy to do too. And I already have a Walbro 255 pump in... will that be enough?

The tuning is what scares me. See, I hate electricity and electrical stuff. It's not that I have any actual dislike for them, I just don't understand the stuff. I'd probably have to have someone else do this for me. Any recommendations as for what to buy and what steps to follow?

EDIT: While poking around I found a few threads that had a shit load of info in them, so I'm pretty well set... except for the whole tuning thing. I'm still dumbstruck on that one.

Last edited:

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
Neodeuccio;1429762 said:
Now, quick question that I don't think has been discussed yet:
What supporting mods, if any, would be required to run this turbo compared to stock?

I would at LEAST have lex afm/550 combo, piggyback, 2.5" hardpipes w/intercooler (not very expensive now with ebay kits), walbro, WB with logging capabilities, and FULL exhaust before attempting this turbo.

If i do choose this turbo down the road a bit, I'm even worried about my car which has more mods than most but its mostly the concern with FC. I'm hitting FC now with a 57 trim (though it is untuned) let alone this "t61" monster

On another note, that exhaust housing cast looks great from the pics.

paradox616

Sep 12, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
I've been intouch with CX racing, and they have confirmed that they manufacture the turbo, where its manufactured im still trying to find out and if they make all the parts as well.. ill keep everyone posted.

from what i can tell this turbo is efficienct between 16-24psi on our cars, running any less boost is a waste. you'd need injectors, fuel pump, intercooler, tune, DDP setup with a free flowing exhaust.

I plan to have the balance tested then install. was going to do it today but my supra decided to leave me on the site of the road last night and i had to fork out for a tow truck to take her home. so might happen in 1-2 weeks.

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
I'm sure you could run this turbo on a completely stock car-but would you want to? I have a friend running a bolt-on upgraded turbo(believe its the SP61) with stock everything minus intake/exhaust and it runs just fine.

It could be doable but you might hit fuel cut seeing as how this turbo is bigger than the stock unit. Fuel system and tuning mods are good insurance though, even on a stock turbo car.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Yep, you could run it pretty stock (except the elbow issues I've mentioned) and fuel cut will still be there to save you.

To take full advantage you'll need some upgrades though.

Also, as it doesn't use coolant, make sure to loop the coolent lines to the turbo. That's the bypass of the t-stat that's required to relieve pressure so the t-stat can open (you'll have spikes if you don't, and it's on the NA's)

paradox616

Sep 12, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
Poodles;1430203 said:
Yep, you could run it pretty stock (except the elbow issues I've mentioned) and fuel cut will still be there to save you.

To take full advantage you'll need some upgrades though.

Also, as it doesn't use coolant, make sure to loop the coolent lines to the turbo. That's the bypass of the t-stat that's required to relieve pressure so the t-stat can open (you'll have spikes if you don't, and it's on the NA's)

the housing clears the stock water lines so im sure you could just use a bit of hose to loop the coolant lines.

stay.tuned

Mar 31, 2009
san diego
alright, guys I have the turbo in and running it takes a while to boost but that's when the profec b is on other than that I like the turbo its gots a nice kick to it. No need to talk about any more I took it all the way to 17 Psi no problem when it hit 8 Psi the traction broke in 2nd and 3rd. Good turbo alot of power jus needs to dyno. Later next week

paradox616

Sep 12, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
stay.tuned;1430381 said:
alright, guys I have the turbo in and running it takes a while to boost but that's when the profec b is on other than that I like the turbo its gots a nice kick to it. No need to talk about any more I took it all the way to 17 Psi no problem when it hit 8 Psi the traction broke in 2nd and 3rd. Good turbo alot of power jus needs to dyno. Later next week

cool, interested to see how well its been balanced. how much gain were you running on the controller?

any video's????! (if not take some!)

Angry7M

Formerly redmaro
Sep 6, 2007
AZ
So what makes this T61 turbo less prone to fail like a 60 Trim CT-26?

From what I've heard the CT-26 upgraded 60 Trim fails because the shaft is so small for such big wheel, and also because of surge caused by the small housing.

So what makes this turbo any better in durability?

joel903

Apr 6, 2005
Conover,NC
"stay tuned" you definately need to get that thing dynoed and maybe afterwards see if has any shaft play or what not. Also curious to see how long this turbo will last getting beat on pretty hard for a year.

paradox616

Sep 12, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
redmaro;1430440 said:

From what I've heard the CT-26 upgraded 60 Trim fails because the shaft is so small for such big wheel, and also because of surge caused by the small housing.

a) shaft is larger, housings are bigger and inducer is larger.
b) 60trim wheel in a ct26 is massive

i compared the casting of the housings to the CT26 looks very similar quallity, however i cannot comment on the materials used. ill see what the balance is like.

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
stay.tuned;1430381 said:

Cool beans. Be sure to keep us updated after you dyno. Keep track of mileage too!

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
redmaro;1430440 said:

Wrong, CT's shaft is larger than the garrett shaft. It's true compressor surge that kills upgraded turbos with a huge wheel in a small housing.

If the housings are properly sized the turbo will last.

Angry7M

Formerly redmaro
Sep 6, 2007
AZ
Poodles;1430651 said:
Wrong, CT's shaft is larger than the garrett shaft. It's true compressor surge that kills upgraded turbos with a huge wheel in a small housing.

If the housings are properly sized the turbo will last.

Ok so do you guys think this turbo is sized correctly to prevent Compressor Surge?

I guess will find out once we get some vids, and the on car testing begins.