Supra90turbo's build thread

Brewster

So it goes.
Apr 15, 2005
Morgantown, WV
stanzaspeed said:
new job would work. I kinda know how you feel right now Kurt. I am unemployed atm and my car isn't registered yet so no driving and no new parts. I cant even gop to the carwash :(

like i said before, once i get back up north i am going to start a "save Kurt's build thread" fund... :icon_bigg

i just registered mine yesterday! it's been running (and i use that term loosely) since april lol. a lot of work is getting done to it over the next couple weeks though. :)

Stanzaspeed

2.5 Twin Turbo R
Staff member
Mar 30, 2005
Calgary, AB
Brewster said:
i just registered mine yesterday! it's been running (and i use that term loosely) since april lol. a lot of work is getting done to it over the next couple weeks though. :)

lucky bugger :(

Vader

May 25, 2006
South Park, PA
Hey supra90turbo, I know you put this on here in February, but I just wanted to tell you that I came up with a way of supporting that stress point around the handle, actually, I came up with something a few months ago, my car was doing the same thing. I made a brace so it wouldn't flex everytime I pull on the driver's side door handle. If you haven't done anything to fix it, drop me a line about it and I'll tell you what I did.

Vader

supra90turbo said:
Update, finally remembered the g'damn camera.
Sorry, the pics are a bit sub-par. I think there's something wrong with my camera. The focus seems to be off at times and there is no "Macro" option.
BTW: Sony DSC-P52.

Anyhow, here's my own little hell:
dsc032735to.jpg

dsc032759vr.jpg

dsc032762uj.jpg

o2 sensor signal wire, redone with new shielded wire (leftover from when I did the KS rewire long ago) since the old was practically disintegrated internally. I plan on running this straight out the grommet and to the o2 sensor. No sense whatsoever in running around the whole harness just to reach something it already passes by!
The good part about doing this is that now I can find out exactly what plug fits the o2 sensor that MDC sells and fit that particular connector!
dsc032796ew.jpg

I reworked my KS rewire that I had done a couple years ago, now together with some heatshrink tubing instead of electrical tape (shown with some tape on it, but that's only temporary), hopefully some new plugs if I can find them, and new terminals will be added tomorrow, just need to sort through the terminal box at work and find out which ones I need.
I will possibly be offering these for sale, complete with pinout instructions and new terminals. PM if interested. Unsure of pricing, however. If I get any real interest on it, I will most definetely look into it deeper.
dsc032805xr.jpg

Now to the interior. I stripped the sound deadener out, and also will be painting the interior a nice gloss black to complement the new toyota black mica paint job it will be receiving upon completion.
I'm still waiting on my heat gun to arrive to remove the stubborn junk, and the rest should come up once I give it some attention with acetone or 3M Hi-Solv.

does anyone know where to get a good quality primer in aerosol form?

dsc032814jh.jpg

Most of what was stuck to the strut towers. That mesh sucks!
dsc032823gm.jpg

This one got a couple passes with Hi-Solv, but needs heat to get rid of the bigger chunks stuck there...
dsc032831vc.jpg

I'm rich!
During this whole project, I've found close to $15 in change!
dsc032859xy.jpg

dsc032864ur.jpg

dsc032875hu.jpg

Does anyone else have rust right here? I've seen a couple Supras with the same area rusted, and noticed that my door skin is actually cracked where the rust is! The sheet metal cracks, it must be a stress point because there is no reinforcement there at all. Just sheet metal. I'm a bit sad :( however, this is the ONLY rust on the car. Except by the LH tail light.
dsc032849fw.jpg

This is a view from inside the door frame looking out.
dsc032902js.jpg

:chicken:

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
Do what, JaV?
Wait, never mind that.. Fuck your couch.

Vader: Post it up, man. I'd like to see it. At the moment, I'm toying with the idea of shaving the handles, but I don't like the whole not passing tech thing at a track, and I want to actually DRIVE the car, soooo.....

Allan: thanks! :drink1:

Vader

May 25, 2006
South Park, PA
supra90turbo said:
Vader: Post it up, man. I'd like to see it. At the moment, I'm toying with the idea of shaving the handles, but I don't like the whole not passing tech thing at a track, and I want to actually DRIVE the car, soooo.....

Hey man, I'll have to remove the inner door panel to see if I can get a picture of it, since when I'm working on my car (for some reason,) I never think to take any pictures of what I'm doing until I'm done! haha, oh well, hind-sight is always 20/20! But basically what I did was address the issue of the rust from the direction of why it rusted there in the first place. Which in my case also cracked in the rusted spot. I've deduced that our door handles were mounted on panels that are really damn flimsy not to have been supported by anything else. With that on the table, I tried to find a way to brace the door handle to keep it from twisting upward everytime you lift up the handle to open the door. So I made a bracket to mount from the handle to a support, I'll fill you in more once I take some pics of it, I'm going to try to do that this weekend sometime. Besides a picture is worth a thousand words, and sometimes I tend to runoff at the mouth! lmao :p So I'll keep you posted with that, plus, I have a whole ton of other things that I've had to do to my car that might be useful to some of you, so I'll maybe have to start a thread of my own whenever I have the time. Take it easy!

miekedmr

mkiii in hibernation
Jul 12, 2005
Upstate NY
I had cracks and a little rust near the tabs on both doors...
I took the mig to them and now those tabs and the areas it cracked in are reinforced. i bolted a handle back in to test and theres no more flex when you pull on it

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
everyone buy me Massachusetts Lottery season tickets for christmas. Then, you increase the chance that this build will be epic, faster.