SILV07

KeithH

Mar 31, 2005
Portland, OR
Not usually. It is actually shorter from Seattle to go throuh Idaho.

I zip through Bakersfield on my way to Vegas - but I am there a week early. Gotta get my drink on before everyone shows up. :)

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
KeithH said:
I love those 2Way Radios but beware. Not all are created equal.

For SILV97 - the first one - I tried using CBs with the guy I was rolling with. I didn't want to mount the thing on the car and the reception SUCKED!

For SILV98 I picked up a Motorolla 2Way radio - only 2 miles back then. WOW! So much better than the CB. I was able to stay in contact with the other guy in my caravan easily during the entire drive - even when cellphone coverage dropped out.

For SILV99 we had others join us for the caravan. Some had Motorollas and some didn't. Those off-brands worked ok but we had to figure out what channel on the Mots worked with their channels. They weren't as user friendly as the Mots and didn't have quite the range either.

I've since upgraded to the 5-Mile 2way radios. Those don't seem to have quite the range of the original 2-mile ones.

LOL, 2-mile. Shit that sucks. The lowest range at Best Buy is somewhere around 12. You can get 22-mile moto's for about 90 bucks.

whenmunkysfly

scratch that...going 2jz
Jun 26, 2006
United States
KeithH said:
Not usually. It is actually shorter from Seattle to go throuh Idaho.

I zip through Bakersfield on my way to Vegas - but I am there a week early. Gotta get my drink on before everyone shows up. :)

shit forgot about that when does the caravan normaly leave because I would leave the weekend before the event. If it leaves at a diffrent time I'll just have to catch it on the way back.:icon_bigg

KeithH

Mar 31, 2005
Portland, OR
The Caravan typically leaves mid-week.

I head out (leaving Portland) on Saturday morning before the event. Get to Vegas in time for Lunch on Sunday.

whenmunkysfly

scratch that...going 2jz
Jun 26, 2006
United States
KeithH said:
The Caravan typically leaves mid-week.

I head out (leaving Portland) on Saturday morning before the event. Get to Vegas in time for Lunch on Sunday.

Maybe I'll just head out with you then. what time do you normaly leave that morning if it's really early I'll stay at y buddy's house if not then I'll just drive down earlier in the morning.

KeithH

Mar 31, 2005
Portland, OR
We try to hit the road by 7 - 7:30am on Saturday morning. This puts us in Tehachapi by 8 - 9pm. We try to hit the road by 9 on Sunday and hit Vegas by about 1pm.

whenmunkysfly

scratch that...going 2jz
Jun 26, 2006
United States
KeithH said:
We try to hit the road by 7 - 7:30am on Saturday morning. This puts us in Tehachapi by 8 - 9pm. We try to hit the road by 9 on Sunday and hit Vegas by about 1pm.

where is tehachapi and do you guys get a hotel at a specific place let me know so I can get a reservation.

loki2043

Jan 23, 2006
Portland, OR
im thinkin about going, ive got family in vegas auctually, and they are opening a huge restraunt from what i heard from other family.. looks like ill have a place to stay :D oh, and they got an inground pool in the back :D

swaq

posts++;
May 24, 2005
Oregon -> Arizona
www.SwaqValley.com
There is a good chance that I'll actually be able to make it this year. I just need to make sure that I have a place to stay. One of my dad's friends lives in Vegas and would probably be able to let my fiancee and I stay at his place. He's also mentioned that he'd let me drive his Ferrari 360. :naughty:

I'd be coming from Corvallis, but I wouldn't mind driving north or something to meet up with a caravan.

whenmunkysfly

scratch that...going 2jz
Jun 26, 2006
United States
The only thing I see wrong with the caravan is they are taking I-5 the whole way down. BORING. I have gone down to vegas prob. 7times for other reasons. And if you cut over into nevada at reno you get to hit some long desert roads as well as some curvy mountain ones and it takes less time. but at the same time the time of year it might be VERY snowing and icy that way. so I'll prob. head with the caravan lol

KeithH

Mar 31, 2005
Portland, OR
WhenMunkysfly - We used to go down through Reno. This route has good points and bad points.

Mileage is a bit shorter going from Portland through Reno to Vegas. The big problem is all of the parts where you are stuck behind a series of big rigs and can't pass. There also seems to be a LOT more construction going that route. I remember one year where we sat for 30 minutes waiting to get through a construction zone (going down I-5 we would have covered at least 35 miles).

Also, when we used to go through Reno we would typically stop in Reno on the way down and back. This meant that the next day's drive would be nearly as long as the first day's drive.

For us going down I-5 we hit Bakersfield in about 12 hours (from Portland). From there we head east for about another hour to Tehachapi. This means our next day's drive is just 3.5 hours.

The big benefit is that going down I-5 you hit just 20 miles of single lane highways (between Bakersfield and Barstow). Going through Reno you get stuck with hundreds of miles of single lane highways.

I also love those California drivers. We're clipping along at a safe and reasonable speed and we get passed by SUVs doing close to 85mph. DANG!

If anyone is planning on rolling down early with me please note that this is not a speed contest. For most of our drive we roll with the cruise set. I do not want to get pulled over and rolling with a group of Supras you become a rolling target for the red and blue.