Sethron71's 92' 500RWHP Build, lots of pics!

sethron71

Authorized Vendor
Jul 19, 2005
Las Vegas, NV
www.SethIngham.com
Thank you IJ!

Off to the shop for a long night of FFIM building and PULLING THE MOTOR OUT!!!

I will have pics tomorrow. So excited now that I have all the measurements I need to produce my FFIM's I can not forcus on rebuilding this beauty!

Seth

sethron71

Authorized Vendor
Jul 19, 2005
Las Vegas, NV
www.SethIngham.com
Well pulled the motor!

About 5.5 hrs with a friend.

Lots of oil everywhere.

Pics:
sm_photo_missing.jpg

p987691_1.jpg

p987691_2.jpg

Head is amazing clean especially in comparision to the rest of the motor I am assuming it was gone through recently. Not sure when the MHG was done but the guy before mentioned it:
p987691_3.jpg

And the oil pit engine home:
p987691_4.jpg

The engine bay is absolutely covered in oil as the blow by must have been blowing the dipstick out and spraying oil. Now the tear down begins!

But this weekend is finish FFIM weekend o YAY...

Thanks,
Seth

91T breezen'

ROMNEY/RYAN 2012
Apr 4, 2005
NOYFB!
Seth;
Great to see you divin' back into the Supra game again!:icon_bigg Don't put the Thruxton's on your black car though!:nono: It's a 92! You should get some Work VS-XX's off of RBMotoring.com instead! or, just throw on those sick-ass BBS LM's:)love:) sittin' next to your car!
BTW,what are doing for work these days? Are you still racing in that open wheel series?

sethron71

Authorized Vendor
Jul 19, 2005
Las Vegas, NV
www.SethIngham.com
91T breezen';989207 said:
Seth;
Great to see you divin' back into the Supra game again!:icon_bigg Don't put the Thruxton's on your black car though!:nono: It's a 92! You should get some Work VS-XX's off of RBMotoring.com instead! or, just throw on those sick-ass BBS LM's:)love:) sittin' next to your car!
BTW,what are doing for work these days? Are you still racing in that open wheel series?

Hey Tom!
Well I think the Thruxtons will actually look sick on it! I know they are not big baller but that will come with time! It will help with my blacked out theme. You know I am about the go not flash! I would love to go with some Volk GTC's or something in black but later....lol As for the BBS single lugs, that conversation will come later....lol They are off the Daytona prototype I race! I am working at a Daytona Prototype shop back in Virginia. So I am running in the Grand-AM series. Did the Daytona 24HR in January but haven't run since cause of budget stuff but hope to do VIR end of this month!

Thanks,
Seth

sethron71

Authorized Vendor
Jul 19, 2005
Las Vegas, NV
www.SethIngham.com
Update:
Tore the motor down last night in between working on manifolds. Still have to pull the rods and crank but that is pretty much it!

Upon teardown I discovered the #6 cylinder is dry. You can see in the pictures of both the top of the piston and the cylinder head are dry(bad injector?) The engine did not smoke at all but it had heavy blow by and the #6 cylinder was low on compression. I am guessing the compression rings are stuck yet the oil ring is still working fine.

Cylinder walls all look good! Also valves all look almost new and head has almost no carbon build up, you can still see the 7M on each valve. Also the cam lobs and bearing surfaces are almost perfect, will just take a little polishing!

Will tear the head apart and the rest of the bottom end tonight!

Here are pics:
sm_photo_missing.jpg

p997101_1.jpg

#6 cylinder(bit of coolant spilt when the head came off not, otherwise DRY):
p997101_2.jpg

#Combustion chamber(Dry as well):
p997101_3.jpg

Others so you can see the wetness/darkness difference:
p997101_4.jpg

p997101_5.jpg

Cleanness of head!:
p997101_6.jpg

Parts all layed out:
p997101_7.jpg

p997101_8.jpg

p997101_9.jpg

Also looks like the MHG job was real recent as the head gasket had not even stuck to both sides yet and is nearly perfect! Also who ever put the ARP's in before did not know what they were doing as they were all torqued differently and all the studs were tightened differently.

IJ what you think the DRYness is caused by and what would cause the blow by without smoke?

Thanks,
Seth

sethron71

Authorized Vendor
Jul 19, 2005
Las Vegas, NV
www.SethIngham.com
Thank you!

Well found the problem!....lol

#6 piston was falling all to shit! About half way around between each of the rings was falling all apart. There were actually on a very small amount missing and absolutely no damage to the cylinder which I am excited about....lol Bearings look extremely good and overall the engine is very clean internally. I beleive it is original so it has 130K+ on it but was very well taken care of.

Still not sure why the cylinder is so dry but I will be replacing most the fuel system anyways including injectors so not really worried.

Pics to come later tonight!

Thanks,
Seth

sethron71

Authorized Vendor
Jul 19, 2005
Las Vegas, NV
www.SethIngham.com
Cool thanks for the information IJ, any detonation issues I have seen before caused the ring lands to be collasped and rings stuck but the rings were as free as ever and there is no pitting of any sort on the piston or in the cylinder wall or head.

But just got back from taking the engine to the engine shop should have it back in about 2-3weeks but until then I am collecting parts like crazy for the build!

Will have pics of all the stuff I have so far a little later!

Thanks,
Seth

sethron71

Authorized Vendor
Jul 19, 2005
Las Vegas, NV
www.SethIngham.com
Hey IJ,
I have no idea, that is the way I bought the car...lol But when I received it the car ran fine, no stumble, no hesitation the guy just said it had low compression in the #6 and a ton of blow by so your guess is as good as mine. Original motor with 13X,XXX miles on it. Needless to say it is all getting replaced! But it still pulled strong even when I was just screwing around in it around the block a few times...lol

Thanks,
Seth

sethron71

Authorized Vendor
Jul 19, 2005
Las Vegas, NV
www.SethIngham.com
Heres a few pictures of why my cars never get the time they deserve!....lol I think my GF is going to dump me cause I am so busy with FFIM's too! But this does pay for the nice parts I am buying to put on this bad boy!

List of parts I have ordered:
-S-AFC II
-550's
-Fidanza Flywheel
-Aluminum Drive Shaft
-Fuel Reg and Startlite lines
-IC and IC piping
-Big TB for FFIM
-Solid Motor Mounts
-Wide Band

sm_photo_missing.jpg

p1000292_1.jpg

p1000292_2.jpg

p1000292_3.jpg

p1000292_4.jpg

And one I sent out last week:
p1000292_5.jpg

p1000292_6.jpg

p1000292_7.jpg

I have them lined up building like crazy! But off to bed!

Thanks,
Seth

sethron71

Authorized Vendor
Jul 19, 2005
Las Vegas, NV
www.SethIngham.com
Updated list on the first page of what I have already ordered and received. I think I am slightly crazy because I was just going to rebuild and drive it for a while but now I am going order crazy and have a ton of the stuff I wanted for my bigger build!

Thanks,
Seth

sethron71

Authorized Vendor
Jul 19, 2005
Las Vegas, NV
www.SethIngham.com
Started cleaning the engine bay today. What a mess, so much oil! Also had a visit from Scott in his bad white beast! Ordered my exhaust as well. Will be DDP and 3" all the way, I am putting a resonator in to keep the noise down and the stealth sound!

Thanks,
Seth