REIGN's REBUILD! Its a beautiful thing... (THAT IS FOR SALE) =(

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
IJ. said:
Easy way around all this would be to break the motor in on a stock ECU/Injector package.

^^^^^Best bet^^^^^

break the motor in & drive it down to Orlando, take a bunch of toold & the AEM, hook it up & tune it.

2jzmk3

Jake you making it out to be more that it already is. Once you start playing with the aem you will see making changes will be pretty simple once its set up...

Now to address some of the questions you were asking.

Version: that's easy when you load the cd it will have the version.

Boost controller: very easy. Solenoid is just like every other boost controller. Calibrating it is time comsuming, but it will pay off. Much easier that trying to set boost by percentages like withe a greddy EBC, with the aem, if you wanna run 25 psi, you just type in 25 in the propper screen, and that's it.
To set up the high low switch you will just need to wire a switch to one of the 0-5v, darin can do that for you.
And lastly. Everyone talks about breaking in......
If the motor was built right then the motor doesn't need to be broken in. Every motor we build we never break it in. My motor is going from first startup to the dyno to 1000hp.
If you feel like you have to break it in
Then you need 300 miles of stop and go.

Anything else?

Of yea don't worry about the base map. I'll show you how to set it up for u so you can start it up

Reign_Maker

Has cheezberger
Aug 31, 2005
Florida
Thanks Sean... Thanks Ian... Thanks Mark... Thanks everyone!

I guess another reason Im so nervous, is not just because this is unchartered territory for me, but because Ive invested SO much time and money into this, if its not done right, I'll be devastated... I absolutely love this car, and shit like this literally keeps me up at night thinking about it...

What do I need? How much have I spent? How much do I need to spend? Did I forget anything? Will I reach my hp goals? Have I taken this too far? Should I have let a shop handle everything? Is that a white elephant?

Im going to put some serious thought and planning into executing this... Its been a long slow process, and I dont want it blow up in my face in the last 10 feet of the race...

gixxer750

2jzget comingsoon!
Mar 30, 2005
Mississippi
I've seen several 2jz's broken in on the dyno.... As a matter of fact, one of my friends just got a long block from you guys(titan) and they put it straight on the dyno....

flubyux2

Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
Apr 2, 2005
st. pete, fl
www.myspace.com
yeah... dont take advice from anyone who doesnt know what they are talking about. ill admit, im not a pro tuner, but ive worked with it and ive gotten a car that is pretty far from stock to start, warm up, idle and drive as close to stock as anyone is going to be able to considering its the 1st time evar.

i had to do some quite a bit of wire troubleshooting on this car specifically. apparantly, Angel Robeles(from Garage Advance) had the Map sensor wire inserted into the Torque converter lock up port on the harness... so ever since the car was put together (2 years ago), the ECU never had a map signal. well come to find out, this caused the AEM to freak out and fall back on TPS input as a Map signal. so the TPS voltage would cause the Map signal to fluctuate. it was a pita to try to figure out, cuz i just assumed that the harness wouldnt have been repinned. anyways, since i didnt know, i ended up making a map to run the car on TPS voltage as a load input. it would rev and idle, sucked to drive. i was so releived to find that the map sensor wire was in the wrong slot. it made my job so much easier after i fixed that. anyways, trying to get it to start and idle on the 1000cc base maps that several people had set up, w/ no map sensor input... it fouled the plugs in 10 seconds and the fresh oil smelled like fuel after just as long. so, basically, im just saying you just have to be cautious.

when it comes to making a base map, check out AEM forums. there is a writeup on making a base maps. course, i only used the one for the 2jz setup, so i dont know if itll be the same for the 7m. it shouldnt be hard at all to get a base map whipped up for cruising and minute boost levels. you should be able to get something usable for say 10psi and half throttle even. after you can get it idling and driving, you can use O2 feedback and automapping to help fill in and readjust your vaccum side of the map for better cruising. but you have to calibrate your O2 sensor and stuff for that to work right. also change the weight of the input so that the values on the Map dont change drastically; small changes are better than huge changes. most people recommend against doing automapping with boost comp, claiming it doesnt work right. i did a litle automapping and boost comp, ive got a map up to half throttle and 16psi... the car runs door to door with WillJS7's car... which does 12.2 @ 121mph...again, Pedaling it at half throttle!

sean has a point w/ the motors and "break in". basically, you "break in" the motor the same way its going to be used. TRD builds race motors and takes them right to the limit as soon as they are started up... same goes for Titan and their race motors that they build and sell. that whole excuse of "baby it for 500 miles" is just a way for builders to get their head out of the noose if they did something wrong. that way, if it gets rod knock or rings dont seal due to bad end gaps or piston slap, youll be outside of the shop's warranty.

anyways, you could Email, PM and Call Vijay (you have to do all 3) to see if he can get you a quick base map. i think Jeff gore/ma71supraturbo could put something together for you to get started with. hes really good w/ the AEM and helped us get rollin too. also, PM Dan/phoebo, he may be able to get you some input.

oh, and you can upload the AEM software and start fiddling around with it. but, you wont be able to upload anything to the box untill it has power. the box has to be ON for it to be able to take the workmap changes.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Chris: I wasn't taking a shot at you but we all know most 7M's will have teething issues and add to that this build of Jakes has very high goals I stick with what I said have an expert set it up and tune it.

It's NOT a good candidate to learn on......

Reign_Maker

Has cheezberger
Aug 31, 2005
Florida
Ok, I down loaded this thing... Looks like I have v1.3 with alot of new upgrades, there was a list of the improvements in the down load... This is definately impressive... Impressive=scary as hell...

I think I have to down load some stuff from the AEM site, like a base map, so I can play with it and see what it's talking about... Also, it appears there are 3 different PDF files I have to read... The first one I opened was 52 pages long... So, I better be in a mood to read, eh?

Im seriously..........seriously, going to talk with Sean about shipping my car to Titan for initial start up, break in and tune... I'll put it together... Get my hands dirty... I'll wrench it up... But when it comes to the electrical, tune, computer, ecu, digi shit............... Im not... I cant... I refuse to risk a $15,000 build on something I know NOTHING about... This isnt like hooking up an SAFC or a VPC... I mean with the click of a mouse, I could blow up 7 months and $15000 worth of blood, sweat, tears and love... And at this moment, 9:15pm on a sunday, Im honestly scared and intimidated... Who knows what 6 months from now will bring, but at the moment, this is where I stand... I WISH I had someone locally that knew something about this, that I trusted, that could come by and work with me on this, but unfortunately I dont... So, I'll have to go to them... Titan...

smokey

Jan 15, 2006
Melbourne Australia
Could be one of the smartest things you do in the long run :) at least this way you can say well at least i did it and nothing went wrong, if something did go wrong in your hands you'd kick yourself till the cows come home :)

Reign_Maker said:
Im seriously..........seriously, going to talk with Sean about shipping my car to Titan for initial start up, break in and tune... I'll put it together... Get my hands dirty... I'll wrench it up... But when it comes to the electrical, tune, computer, ecu, digi shit............... Im not... I cant... I refuse to risk a $15,000 build on something I know NOTHING about... This isnt like hooking up an SAFC or a VPC... I mean with the click of a mouse, I could blow up 7 months and $15000 worth of blood, sweat, tears and love... And at this moment, 9:15pm on a sunday, Im honestly scared and intimidated... Who knows what 6 months from now will bring, but at the moment, this is where I stand... I WISH I had someone locally that knew something about this, that I trusted, that could come by and work with me on this, but unfortunately I dont... So, I'll have to go to them... Titan...

Reign_Maker

Has cheezberger
Aug 31, 2005
Florida
So Im not bein a pussy about this?

Not that it would hurt my feelings if anyone thought I was pussin out, but I really appreciate the support and understanding... I think you guys understand my position more than, say, someone who's never invested so much time and money into a project... I appreciate it...

Thanks guys...

smokey

Jan 15, 2006
Melbourne Australia
i like yourself have invested a lot of time and money into my mkiii - and for some reason i can't bring myself to go down and fit the new loom / ecu before the maft so im waiting for a resident guru to come down and make sure of it

basically i've had that many dramas with this car i think i'd lose the plot if something happened :(

pussying out would be to sell the car and get a 1.8ltr 2 door buzz box

no shame in doing things the smart way

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Reign_Maker said:
So Im not bein a pussy about this?

Not that it would hurt my feelings if anyone thought I was pussin out, but I really appreciate the support and understanding... I think you guys understand my position more than, say, someone who's never invested so much time and money into a project... I appreciate it...

Thanks guys...

Not at all Jake!

As adventerous as I am I'd hesitate to try and tune your car from scratch, what you need to ask yourself is

"Can I afford to take a total loss and start again if it goes horribly wrong"

I can but I'd prefer not to and even if it doesn't go badly wrong and say at a best case scenario you end up rattling it and pop a HG it's still a LOT of time/effort/cash to put right.

How many 3>400hp builds have you read about recently dying from a bad tune? (many many)

At 700 you're going somewhere few here have ever been, I asked in another thread for a show of hands who has a 700rwhp 7M and not one hand so caution is a good thing and not pussyish at all!

tonysupra

Supramania Contributor
Dec 3, 2005
CT
^^
listen to the wiseman. lol. Think of it as being smart, not pussy. Good luck. I'll be following along.

Reign_Maker

Has cheezberger
Aug 31, 2005
Florida
YOU hurry up and finish... Hey, atleast you have Ron and Duane to help you... I have, uh, ME to help me! lol...

(I hope I can maybe get Bobby to help me put it back in)

But seriously, get her done so I can see what kind of spool that sexy hawt turbo you got gives ya... THATS what I wanna see...