Quote i got from machinist

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
p5150 said:
Im not assuming that the stock 7m cant take any abuse, but I sure as hell dont see you putting down 500 hp with that TD06. Maybe around 400 hp? Great. Its certainly not the 600+ hp that the 2j STOCK shortblock is capable of.

My 7m was reliable too - I got 200k trouble free miles out of it. But I wasnt putting down 600 hp. If you are going to make big power just save yourself some coin and get a 2j

Another assumptiom, my your posts are filled with tons of SPECULATIVES.

p5150... meet Duane. He actually DID do 500 RWHP on the TD06...

.....paging Duane/Upgradedsupra.

p5150

ASE and FAA A&P Certified
Mar 31, 2005
Central Idaho
JustAnotherVictim said:
Wow, ignorance at it's best. :nono:

Ignorance? What is so ignorant about what I said? Am I ignorant because I have a few hundred posts and you have over 2k posts worth of crap? Lets hear it. Be specific.

Ask these q's about the 7M:
Are the 7m rods better?
Rod bolts stronger?
Oiling system better designed?
Pistons forged?
Valves bigger?
1mm oversize valves bigger than STOCK 2jz valves?
Is the engine more capable?
More reliable?
Head bolts reusable?
Rod bolts reusable?
Head better flowing?
Cams better designed?
Is the stock block with a metal head gasket capable of producing 500+ hp reliably?

NO TO ALL OF THE ABOVE FOR A 7M
YES TO ALL OF THE ABOVE FOR A 2JGE

Is the 7m more prone to rodknock than the 2jz? YES
Are the camshafts usually scored on a 7m? YES
Is the oiling system of a 7M poorly designed? YES
Is the 7M more prone to blow a head gasket if not modified? YES

p5150

Mar 31, 2005
Central Idaho
figgie said:
Another assumptiom, my your posts are filled with tons of SPECULATIVES.

p5150... meet Duane. He actually DID do 500 RWHP on the TD06...

.....paging Duane/Upgradedsupra.

Im not talking about Duanes supra or the capabilities of the TD06 - im talking about YOUR STOCK BLOCK 7M and what it can handle.

Thats what we are comparing and talking about - dont try to change the subject.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
p5150 said:
Im not talking about Duanes supra - im talking about YOUR STOCK BLOCK 7M.

Thats what we are comparing and talking about - dont try to change the subject.

and how, prey tell, do you know what I did with mine as I never have posted numbers, even now with the engine reborn ;)

Seeing as you like selective reading, I did run a Greddy TD06 in my supra ;)

the subject in question here is the 7m, mine along with Duane's are both 7m, both now AND then. So please stop the back peddaling and take you beating accordingly. ;)

and also

p5150 said:
1. A used 2JZ is more durable/reliable.

only as good as the person takes care of it.

220,000 miles here on a modded 7m. Never BHG, never rod knock until the day it died no thanks to an ice patch and over rev. ;)

p5150 said:
2. A used 2JZGE can be sourced very easily for 400 bucks or less. You can re-use the head/rod/cap bolts. 300 for a thick HG and other assorted gaskets. Dont tell me you can build a comprable 7M for that price.

you are aware that your all might 2jz has 10mm head bolts instead of the 12mm that came stock with the 7m. The 2jz guys "upgrade" to a 1/2 bolt which coincidently is only a measly .028 inches BIGGER than the stock 7m headbolts.

p5150 said:
3. Im sick of scored camshafts.
This right there gives away your issue. Lack of oil cause by user error.
After I took my 200,000+ mile motor apart. The cam shafts had ZERO scoring on them, they where slightly polished and reused ;)

p5150 said:
4. Piggyback computers always have some quirk to work with or re-program. Going with a 2JZGE(T) and AEM keeps it under $2k.

ahh the good ole AEM, where the consumer beta test new firmware upgrades for them... yep sounds like a winner! Thanks but I will stay away from EMS that enjoy flooding engines with fuel and the user has to find out that the EMS did it without any inputs telling it too.....

p5150 said:
5. I am sick of rodknock. Dont tell me its my fault.

Unfortunatly it IS. See the cam scoring reply ;)

p5150 said:
6. The bottom end of a 2JZ is designed/built better than a 7M.

6 bolt mains on both. cranks are counter balanced. hmmm. Now where exactly is the 2jz better? Facts please not bullshit heresay.

p5150 said:
]7. The stock valves are 1.5mm larger in a 2JZ. Oversize valves in a 7m still wont flow as well.

Perhaps you need to chit chat with Allan"Defaint7m"Sterlin on that one. He actually got the 7m head to flow like nothing, not even a modded 2jz head could ;)

p5150 said:
8. A 2jz wraps to higher RPMs.

warps higher like what? 9500? Mibrum out in EU. spinning that much if not more on a 7m ;) hell i am spinning to 8k on a stroked 7m and adjuster is spinning to 8.5k. :) I can spin it to 9k safely but not intrested in spinning as I have enough a traction problem already in the first three gears at anything above 3/4 throttle opening. ;)

I enjoy dismantling this type of posts.

JustAnotherVictim

Supramania Contributor
I enjoy how you associate my knowledge with how many posts I have.
I could give a shit about how many posts you have here.
You're throwing out an OPINION.

Sure, there are aspects of the JZ series that are better, but from reading the problems you've had with the 7M they are your own fault.
I like both engines, you however show all you like are JZ's.

Plus a stock bottom end can handle 500hp. It's been done.

p5150

Mar 31, 2005
Central Idaho
FIGGIE YOUR 7M DIED???? You user errorer........

Sorry guys - this isnt opinion, its fact. The 7m is more prone to oiling issues than the 2jz. Period. End of story.

Duane's 7m is built. Was it not when he ran the TDO6? Isnt that the whole point of this?

The rods are more stout in a 2jz. Its just better designed. Toyota didnt regress - give it a rest dude.

you are aware that your all might 2jz has 10mm head bolts instead of the 12mm that came stock with the 7m. The 2jz guys "upgrade" to a 1/2 bolt which coincidently is only a measly .028 inches BIGGER than the stock 7m headbolts.

Are you aware that thats irrelivant? Whats a bigger head bolt or stud going to do for me? Should I put in bigger rod bolts too? TT users have put down 900+ on a stock 2JZGTE and they use the SAME bolts. The head didnt blow off.......

This right there gives away your issue. Lack of oil cause by user error.
After I took my 200,000+ mile motor apart. The cam shafts had ZERO scoring on them, they where slightly polished and reused

Nope, always had enough oil. It was ENGINEER error for not putting oil channels on the cam saddles. I have taken apart at least 15 different 7M heads unrelated to myself and ALL OF THEM HAD SOME SORT OF SCORING. Sorry dude - I dont believe you. If it is all "user error" then why cant you find any threads in the MKIV world about it? Eh?

Perhaps you need to chit chat with Allan"Defaint7m"Sterlin on that one. He actually got the 7m head to flow like nothing,

Perhaps you could see how much money he spent to do that? Did you note that he used STOCK 2jz valves.

not even a modded 2jz head could

How the hell do you know this? Besides - we are discussing MODS we are talking about the capabilities of a STOCK block with MINIMAL mods like a MHG.

warps higher like what? 9500? Mibrum out in EU. spinning that much if not more on a 7m hell i am spinning to 8k on a stroked 7m and adjuster is spinning to 8.5k. I can spin it to 9k safely but not intrested in spinning as I have enough a traction problem already in the first three gears at anything above 3/4 throttle opening.

I enjoy dismantling this type of posts.

Mibrum has a totally NOT STOCK 7M
Adjuster has a NOT STOCK 7M
And you have a NOT STOCK 7M

How much did you pay?

I can wrap my 3vze in my truck that high too - it doesnt mean its going to last as long. Shorter stroke means more reliable components at the upper rev limit. Physics dude. Piston speed is directly related to stroke length.

JustAnotherVictim

Supramania Contributor
I have one question for you.
How is it that you are ASE certified, which apparently "gives" you the right to post what you want and not be refuted, but you couldn't keep a 7m from getting a rod knock which plenty of of people have done with little to no effort?
Plus no ASE certification.

You don't see us claiming it's the most perfectly designed engine do you?
It's by no means flawless, but you apparently have trouble doing a simple thing like adding oil.

Poor maintenance makes a poor engine.

TurboWarrior

Apr 1, 2005
Canada
hahhahha whatever. You are making more sense now though. the thing that set ME off was that you think machine work should be cheap when it really isn't. 7ms have oiling issues and the jz leared from mistakes from 7m so yes the 2jz is a better motor problems wise but that doesnt make the 7m a pos. I like the 7m, the tone of it, the torque, etc When I started my rant i didn't know you were talking astronomical hp number I was in a more "realistic" mindset thinking more of the thread starter.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
p5150 said:
FIGGIE YOUR 7M DIED???? You user errorer........

infact it was :).. incase you missed it, over revved in a patch of ice ;) Though at least you are paying attention now. :)

p5150 said:
Sorry guys - this isnt opinion, its fact. The 7m is more prone to oiling issues than the 2jz. Period. End of story.

sorry slick. Apparently you don't understand what facts are. Unlike opinions, facts are NOT debatable regardless of what you think ;) The 7m ONLY oiling "issue" is the oil cooler design. The oiling system without that one part is actually very ingenious and reliable.

p5150 said:
Duane's 7m is built. Was it not when he ran the TDO6? Isnt that the whole point of this?

BIG NEGATIVE

up to that point he did not open the engine up. After he left the TD06, THEN came the upgrade along with everything else.

p5150 said:
The rods are more stout in a 2jz. Its just better designed. Toyota didnt regress - give it a rest dude.

hmm

reading comprehension 101?

Since when is head bolts rod bolts? Are you sure that you graduated High school with a reading comprehension which equals that of a pre-schooler?

p5150 said:
Are you aware that thats irrelivant? Whats a bigger head bolt or stud going to do for me? Should I put in bigger rod bolts too? TT users have put down 900+ on a stock 2JZGTE and they use the SAME bolts. The head didnt blow off.......

really?

seems like Ryan Woon, Titan Motorsports, Sound Performance, AAP all disagre with you and it is VERY relevant ;) here let me get you, your tricycle so you can backpedal some more. and also since we know that 1/2" bolts hold 1000+ hp without problems. 12mm > 10mm

p5150 said:
Nope, always had enough oil. It was ENGINEER error for not putting oil channels on the cam saddles. I have taken apart at least 15 different 7M heads unrelated to myself and ALL OF THEM HAD SOME SORT OF SCORING. Sorry dude - I dont believe you. If it is all "user error" then why cant you find any threads in the MKIV world about it? Eh?

AHHHHAHAHAHAHA

HAHAHAHAH

Engineer error... HAHAHAHAH.. No. Ignorance of how to take care of an engine does not mean the engine had the problem.

Fact, cams that are scored are caused by low oil condition in ALL CASES. What this means is that you were not checking your oil and this in the end means USER ERROR, again! see how easy it is to connect the dots?

p5150 said:
Perhaps you could see how much money he spent to do that? Did you note that he used STOCK 2jz valves.

I know exactly how much he spent to do that. :)

p5150 said:
How the hell do you know this? Besides - we are discussing MODS we are talking about the capabilities of a STOCK block with MINIMAL mods like a MHG.

simple

perhaps you heard of it. machine measures CFM flows at different valve openings ;) even some of the MKIV guys came in on that one thread ;) here is a hint. The stock MKIV head flows roughly 220 cfm per intake runner give or take 5 cfm.

p5150 said:
Mibrum has a totally NOT STOCK 7M
Adjuster has a NOT STOCK 7M
And you have a NOT STOCK 7M

How much did you pay?

I can wrap my 3vze in my truck that high too - it doesnt mean its going to last as long. Shorter stroke means more reliable components at the upper rev limit. Physics dude. Piston speed is directly related to stroke length.

haha

which apparently you have none of. Piston velocity is not the ultimate determining factor of rev. If it was, the HKS 3.4L storker 2jz folk would not be spinning to 9.5k rpm ;) which mind you is only 3mm smaller stroke than my and adjuster's stroked engine.

as for stock, no one that runs a stock 7m is going to lay down 1.2k for an AEM (and personally they could not give me one to use in my car).

As for $,

well to give you an idea, here are a couple of parts for you to crunch ;)

Motec M800 w/ adv features, and wideband single Channel enable.
Motec CDI-8

and that is just a TINY parts list that I have (and that I posted on here), I do not cut corners as my time is way to much money. I do it right the FIRST time. ;)

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
p5150 said:
I AM NOT AN AUTOMOBILE MECHANIC BY TRADE.

I DO NOT GET THE RATE BECAUSE I "KNOW PEOPLE"

For example, when asking for a valve job, I bring the head in disassembled and tell them EXACTLY what I want instead of bringing in an assembled head and saying. "Could you guys fix this" or some other vague statement like "Can I get a rebuild."

That's funny, so the shop you go to bases their prices off of how much of a sucker you look like when you walk in? Ours has a price sheet, you either want the work done or you don't. If you do want it done the prices are right there in black and white. Plus they are honest and will not recommend work that is not needed. Obviously it is good to ask for exactly what you want, but sometimes you don't know what you need until it is cleaned and inspected, and that is where the trust factor comes into play. If you don't feel like taking the pistons or cams out yourself then there is a disassembly charge. That is not a rip-off, it's labor you are paying for.

Now if I am building the engine for someone, we say what is getting done as far as machine work goes, or we don't do the job at all. Some people will skimp on $200 of machine work so they can get a new blow off valve instead. If the cylinders aren't bored and the rings never seal, then who is held responsible? If the rods have ARP bolts installed without a resize and it spins a bearing, who's fault is that?

BTW p5150, I know what you mean and I am not saying any of this to disrespect you.

p5150

Mar 31, 2005
Central Idaho
Figgie - I know how to check my oil - I will never get done arguing with you because you never answer the first question to begin with.

If you guys would just look into going GE-T with a 2jz you would see how easy it is. You are wasting your time with the 7MGTE.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
p5150 said:
Figgie - I know how to check my oil - I will never get done arguing with you because you never answer the first question to begin with.

If you guys would just look into going GE-T with a 2jz you would see how easy it is. You are wasting your time with the 7MGTE.

you MIGHT know but scoring on the cams means you let the motor run low on oil. CAPICHE? You are arguing like it is a fucking debate. There is no debate. The motor does not die just because it wants to that day and time.

Cause and effect. Rod knock is the effect, cause is low oil. Period.

You are saying we are wasting our times, and we have numerous people that have contradicted your statement with running 7m RELIABLY and with power to boot.

let me guess, walbro are the best fuel pumps for the mkiii also :naughty: ?

whenmunkysfly

scratch that...going 2jz
Jun 26, 2006
United States
Ummm....p5150 my friend reved his stock honda civic to 10k without it blowing but the doesnt mean it's good for it. cost me $3k with parts to build my 7m with the works. thats not that far off of the parts your going to be buying to make that 2jz a T. does it mean my 7m will never blow. it very well could does it mean your 2jz will never blow of course not. btw if you didnt know aftermarket pistons,rods,ect. only buys you more room for error with the right tune stock internals are capable of alot more then you think on any car.

p5150

Mar 31, 2005
Central Idaho
whenmunkysfly said:
Ummm....p5150 my friend reved his stock honda civic to 10k without it blowing but the doesnt mean it's good for it. cost me $3k with parts to build my 7m with the works. thats not that far off of the parts your going to be buying to make that 2jz a T. does it mean my 7m will never blow. it very well could does it mean your 2jz will never blow of course not. btw if you didnt know aftermarket pistons,rods,ect. only buys you more room for error with the right tune stock internals are capable of alot more then you think on any car.

Right - 3 k in parts to build a 7m with the works. You are just talking about the block/head right?

p5150

Mar 31, 2005
Central Idaho
JustAnotherVictim said:
I have one question for you.
How is it that you are ASE certified, which apparently "gives" you the right to post what you want and not be refuted, but you couldn't keep a 7m from getting a rod knock which plenty of of people have done with little to no effort?
Plus no ASE certification.

You don't see us claiming it's the most perfectly designed engine do you?
It's by no means flawless, but you apparently have trouble doing a simple thing like adding oil.

Poor maintenance makes a poor engine.

Perhaps I could wave my magical ASE card over the engine next time to keep it from getting rodknock. OF COURSE I CHECKED THE OIL. I WAS PARANOID ABOUT OIL LEVEL. ASE cert had nothing to do with it and I never implied that it did.