Owner of a supra gets caught racing and gets car impounded.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
foreverpsycotic;946326 said:
Damn, you people are bitching about no tracks being in your area, yet there are some in the same state as you, I have 2 options: I drive through 2 states, or drive through 1 state, both being 3+ hours away.

I like to live in the grey area, where it is acceptable in some circumstances, the highway is empty, there are no onramps for a while and everyone involved (watching or participating) accepts what may or may not happen.

Why do people drive 400+ whp cars on the street, it sure isn't to go and get grocerys. If noone wanted to go fast on the street, we would be rocking VW bugs with 1.6l carbed motors.
Gotta get home before the milk goes off ;)

supra_ed

May 30, 2006
ohio
my excuse- i live about 90min from national trail. im scared to death of driving my supra that far and cant afford a truck and trailor. much easier and more fun to get "country roadin'" out by my house

SupraOfDoom

Starcraft II ^^;;
Mar 30, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
www.cardomain.com
Still arguing this? You won't win... things like this will only change our minds if the extremely rare happens, the hard way... and if your not a complete dip shit about it, I mean EXTREMELY RARE. The people who race around a bunch of people are too stupid to listen anyway.

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
3 hours is half way up California. And for most everyone else in the US, across 1 or 2 states. Maybe more.

If you have to drive over state lines or half way across a big state like CA, it's considered far.

PCguylovesSupra

Happy go lucky......
Jun 18, 2007
Southwest MI
LilMissMkIII;946366 said:
I don't get why those of you in the US think 3 hours is such a long drive and so far away...

I believe people here mostly live in an area that everything is with in 20min. I have friends that think 3 hours is a long drive. I drive 3 hours for my job and don't think a sec about it. When I get to 5-6 hours then that is a haul.

scooter

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
OneJoeZee;946387 said:
3 hours is half way up California. And for most everyone else in the US, across 1 or 2 states. Maybe more.

If you have to drive over state lines or half way across a big state like CA, it's considered far.

3 hours here can be really good takeaway food ;)

labrat469

Aug 1, 2007
Alabama
Why is it people scream bloody murder about street racing but they wouldn't think twice about talking on their cell phone while driving or after a few drinks. Both kill more people per year than street racing. All three are illegal. Yes talking on your cell while driving falls under "driving while distracted" and if a cop really wants to be an asshole they can pull you over and give you a ticket.

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
labrat469;946438 said:
Why is it people scream bloody murder about street racing but they wouldn't think twice about talking on their cell phone while driving or after a few drinks. Both kill more people per year than street racing. All three are illegal. Yes talking on your cell while driving falls under "driving while distracted" and if a cop really wants to be an asshole they can pull you over and give you a ticket.

It is now a primary offence in NJ.

LilMissMkIII said:
I don't get why those of you in the US think 3 hours is such a long drive and so far away...

Miss, 3 hours is a damn long drive, if its all highway with no traffic, figure 180+ miles. Thats 1/4 of the miles I put on the supra last year.

The state I live in will not allow for a 1/4 mile track to be built and operated, yet they wonder why there is a street racing problem. They crack down on our meets at local Dunkin Donuts and kick us all out, even though 3/4 of the people there have or had purchaced something there within the last 30-45 min. Its getting to the point where we can't hang out anywhere without fear of getting kicked out.

Ma70.Ent

Supramania Contributor
Feb 26, 2006
NJ
To me, after 1.5 hours, then it starts to get long. 3 hours? I'd really prefer not to..

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
3 hours? Hell, I drove 6.5 hours just to meet up with a competent machinist. I've taken 8 hour road trips, to pick up $50 worth of parts.

Man, if you don't like a good drive, then the Supra (a GT class car) is really not for you ;)

ILikeCarsYesIDo

Permanently Banned
Nov 26, 2007
Hayward, CA
foreverpsycotic;946457 said:
It is now a primary offence in NJ.

Miss, 3 hours is a damn long drive, if its all highway with no traffic, figure 180+ miles. Thats 1/4 of the miles I put on the supra last year.

The state I live in will not allow for a 1/4 mile track to be built and operated, yet they wonder why there is a street racing problem. They crack down on our meets at local Dunkin Donuts and kick us all out, even though 3/4 of the people there have or had purchaced something there within the last 30-45 min. Its getting to the point where we can't hang out anywhere without fear of getting kicked out.

Your problem? You're hanging out at Dunkin' DONUTS! ;)

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
Doward;946513 said:
3 hours? Hell, I drove 6.5 hours just to meet up with a competent machinist. I've taken 8 hour road trips, to pick up $50 worth of parts.

Man, if you don't like a good drive, then the Supra (a GT class car) is really not for you ;)

Even though I didn't mind at all and actually enjoyed long drives in my Supra, far is still far.

ILikeCarsYesIDo

Permanently Banned
Nov 26, 2007
Hayward, CA
Long drives are okay as long as the scenery is good.

Not when it's flat for ages like the drive from Salt Lake City to California.

As soon as I passed the California state line, everything turned green.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Depends on the speed limit...

If it's too low, the RPM's are at the drone point for my exhaust and that WILL drive you nuts in short order.

Yes, I know, I can fix that, can't afford it right now.

I want an airbag system so I can lay frame on my car, and have a car alarm linked with it that requires a code. Let em try and take my car....

Kangae

Buzzin' Half Dozen
Sep 13, 2007
Utica, New York
I just read the whole thread for he first time, so forgive me if I'm replying to something that may have happened awhile ago.

First things first, I guess I'm what you might call a dumb teenager, I'm 18. However, I do not street race and I don't even speed (after I got my first speeding ticket I decided it was too much of a hassle). However my cousin does enjoy partaking in street racing. I don't mind, he doesnt do it with other people in his car, and he normally doesnt take it very far (not like some people who take the race on forever, I've seen some before...)

I guess what I'm getting at is that there are people who are better at driving than others, and mistakes can be made, by anyone, street racing or not. However certain things increase these risks. I also dont enjoy the solid "street racers are a-holes" insulting aproach some people seem to have taken. I myself have that problem being a teenager and all... Generalizations are bad to make, even if statistics do say the majority of these people do things, there will always be the minority that doesnt.

And now onto my view of tracks. Tracks are great, I much prefer them to a road. The track is constructed to provide the best environment for your car to drive on fast. Though I havent owned my car long enough to take it to a track, I will be coming this summer because they are all closed in the winter up here. As for police watching the tracks, I've never seen that. Most of the police up here either own a car they race at the track (or rarely on the street, I've seen that before too), or they just don't care.

Also as for the police writing tickets for modifications, they do that on the normal roads far too often, so much so they decided to even do it on bs jobs around here. The other day me and my cousin were driving from the movies in this local town called whitesboro, a police officer pulled him over. We wernt sure of the reason, since he wasnt speeding and had recently fixed all of his lights (after getting 3 tickets in the same day from a officer in whitesboro for a blown tail light). Anyway, the officer walked up and said to him "Well I pulled you over for your exhaust", he went on to say "You know that that kind of exhaust is illegal, I'm not going to give you a ticket but you should replace it". Funniest part about this whole story, he ownes a 2000 Toyota celica and its the stock exhaust, completely, he has never changed the exhaust.

Anyway I've been ranting, basically to sum it up:
I'm a tennager, I dont street race or speed, cops arnt good at giving illegal mod tickets most of the time, some people are better at driving than others, I like tracks, and there was a story.

PS: Sorry for the long post I just felt the need to reply to everything I had read over the last 18 pages...:blah: