Owner of a supra gets caught racing and gets car impounded.

SySt

Mar 30, 2005
Burnsville, Minnesota
LilMissMkIII;946366 said:
I don't get why those of you in the US think 3 hours is such a long drive and so far away...

3 Hours is a long drive. Thats basically what I need to travel to get to Brainerd Raceway or Rockfalls' drag strip. Also, it's not just about the drive time. It costs a lot of money to go to one of those tracks just to put a few 1/4 mile runs in. Then you have track fees, Brainerd is in the $150-200 range depending. Then you figure if your car isn't street legal you better trailer it up there for fear of being busted by cops leaving the track as some have stated. So now you need a 1-ton vehicle with flatbed trailer minimum. With that rig i'm sure you are looking at over $100 in gas round trip. Assuming you somehow get use of the truck/trailer for free, you are still looking at $250 minimum for going to the track.

Lets say you risk it at drive up in your street illegal car. You are looking at atleast $60 in gas just for the round trip. So lets figure $210 minimum. But what if your car breaks down at the track, or worse crashes. Not only do you need to arrange for a tow for a considerable distance. You also won't be covered by your insurance company, but you would be covered on the street.

Basically, it is far more expensive and risky to go to a track then it is to drive 20 minutes or less to race. Lets not forget humans are noteably social beings, and getting your friends to go 3 hours up to a track and having them spend the same money could prove difficult. Most of the time on the streets your friends are there. I also have yet to see anyone at Brainerd raceway anywhere near my age so meeting and relating to them can be quite hard.

There are valid reasons why people don't go to the track instead of racing on the street. It's not about being lazy. Don't be so arrogant about your point.

LilMissMkIII

That Aussie Chick
Aug 18, 2006
Aussie Land
I am still yet to see these "valid reasons" for some people seeing it fit to partake in illegal activity...

If you can post something that is valid, besides "we're lazy" or "i'm a tightarse", then I will gladly listen :)

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
LilMissMkIII;948909 said:
I am still yet to see these "valid reasons" for some people seeing it fit to partake in illegal activity...

If you can post something that is valid, besides "we're lazy" or "i'm a tightarse", then I will gladly listen :)

There is no valid reason to street race. There is also no valid reason to talk on the cell while driving, eat while driving, jaywalk, drink booze, smoke cigs, premarital sex, etc. People do what they will, its the beauty of free will.

labrat469

Aug 1, 2007
Alabama
To truly understand a subject you must be able to see both sides. But you have shown us that you are incapable of that. Your question has been answered but you still refused to listen or to see both sides. You have shown us how closed minded you can be. If you actually wanted answers instead of trying to show your superiority you would have actually tried to understand but instead you shown us the inferiority of a closed minded person.

There is no longer any use in further discussion of this subject. Mods please lock or delete this thread.

vas85

SupraNut
Sep 29, 2006
Sydney, AU
IJ.;937358 said:
"Let he who is without Sin cast the first stone"......

"Street Racing" is so open to abuse by the officer at the scene you could lose your car for hard acceleration beside another car.

K: Problem here with going to the "track" is the police attend with cam corders and as you know just about ANY mod is illegal so if your car runs xx time it's entered into a data base and if pulled over on the road you get the yellow sticker....

Only way around this is to trailer it in and out with no plates.

I'm a firm believer in "Acceleration is not a crime" :) fair enough if you're lighting up the tyres upon take off that's suspicious...

But the law is always bent in their favour.. what can you do I guess...

Oh and about impounding cars etc... the police have recently gotten very strict here in Aus but the problem is.... the cars that they're impounding are either civics, camry's, diahatsu's nissan pulsars and that crap which most likely is their parents' car... I have yet to see a fast sports car get impounded.. seems like they have more brains and it further concretes the point that you don't need something quick to break the law... those civics etc.. 100hp? and they get caught doing big speed... that's the part that the Police need to wake up on... its' not fast cars that are to blame for road tolls... drunken idiots, supercar ricer wannabe's, and plainly people that shouldn't be on the road to start with.

end rant :)

LilMissMkIII

That Aussie Chick
Aug 18, 2006
Aussie Land
labrat469;949031 said:
To truly understand a subject you must be able to see both sides. But you have shown us that you are incapable of that. Your question has been answered but you still refused to listen or to see both sides. You have shown us how closed minded you can be. If you actually wanted answers instead of trying to show your superiority you would have actually tried to understand but instead you shown us the inferiority of a closed minded person.

There is no longer any use in further discussion of this subject. Mods please lock or delete this thread.

I assume you are referring to me. Will you kindly not make assumptions and accusations, and actually READ what I (and everyone else) have posted. I also advise you to maybe add something valuable to this debate/discussion, rather than making a personal attack at someone you don't know.

SySt

Mar 30, 2005
Burnsville, Minnesota
LilMissMkIII;949107 said:
I assume you are referring to me. Will you kindly not make assumptions and accusations, and actually READ what I (and everyone else) have posted. I also advise you to maybe add something valuable to this debate/discussion, rather than making a personal attack at someone you don't know.

You are the one making subjective comments. As far as I am concerned, you are making irrational judgements.

labrat469

Aug 1, 2007
Alabama
LilMissMkIII;949107 said:

I have read and even added to the discussion. I stated that the media over hyped street racing after F&F came out because of irresponsible and immature kids were imitating what they saw on the screen. The media over hyped street racing to get ratings. Street racing is not as big of a problem that the media has made it out to be. Plain and simple. But the media has played out to be like it's an epidemic that threatens everybody. More people are killed by drunks and people talking on thier cell phones than people killed because of racing. The reason the law has cracked down on modified cars is because of immature and irresponsible kids making stupid choices and people getting hurt or killed because of the choices that were made. Look at the ages of those who get hurtor killed while street racing. Of course cops are going to be pro-active and harrass kids with fast cars.

You have called people who street race lazy and cheap. You have not once tried to see both sides of this subject but instead insulted and tried to condesend to people who street race.

The anwers to your questions are in this thread. Open your mind and re-read this thread and you will find them. This subject is a very grey subject and right or wrong doesn't always apply.

I'm off to work. I'm more than willing to discuss this further with people with open minds.

Kangae

Buzzin' Half Dozen
Sep 13, 2007
Utica, New York
I think that more of the problem here is that certain people's reasons for street racing seem to carry more weight for themselves but appear to be invalid or trivial reasons for others.

Even though you feel you gave enough enough of a reason to do it, other people may not think that the reason is good enough. Its really just a matter of opinion and personal situation. It may not be that he is closed minded but she has not seen a reason that out-weighs her view of the dangers of street racing, especially since she has proposed an alternative of going to the track.

KyoSohma07

Feb 27, 2008
Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
SupraOfDoom;937453 said:
I'm lucky, I live 45 minutes from a drag track, 1 hour from Road America ( 5 miles long ), and 1 minute from Auto-crosses in the summer.

SupraOfDoom you are a very lucky person indeed. I would love to be close to a track, where I live there is nothing, except a drag track, but I don't find those as exciting as a track with turns.

Even though I don't live around and tracks, autocrosses, or well anything of use to me, I still don't street race. I only street raced once, and it was when I first got my license and I kinda regret doing it now. In my own opinion I think street racing is very wrong, I think you should race only at tracks, or legal races with blocked off streets. Not being close to a track is not a excuse for anything.

Clint

AzSupras
Apr 4, 2005
Mesa, Arizona, United States
You guys can toss the stones all day long, its not going to stop somebody from wanting that thrill of rolling into high speed or coming off the line at high speed, we are all human and we all are imperfect beings...

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
labrat469;949031 said:

Not your thread...because someone disagrees with you, it should be locked?
Practice what you preach and consider other perspectives.

Street racing is a crime, regardless how it came to be that way. The law has a way of stepping in when the idiots of this planet abuses the privileges we all enjoy. Makes it a lot harder on the rest of us.

PCguylovesSupra

Happy go lucky......
Jun 18, 2007
Southwest MI
obviously we all agree on one thing.... to disagree.

Everyone will have their own opinion, we may or may not agree, this forum is to communicate and share ideas and opinions if we can all remember that.

my .02

scooter

Supra7MG

Supramania Contributor
Oct 13, 2005
Duncansville, PA.
My son starts with Fairfax County as a police officer on 3/31. He drives a MKIV that dynoed 427whp on 91 Cali octane. He is obviously a dedicated Supra guy, but at the same time he is responsible.

1-2clutch-u

Feb 18, 2006
chi town and ohio
street racing is against the law, so is speeding, I speed all the time not 120 but 70 or 80 and I street race some times too. Im not perfect but WE as supra owner should never wish any bad on another owner no matter what they do or say, I feel we should try to help them we are all lucky to have the greatest line of cars ever made. (imo) ok no more peace speaks.

labrat469

Aug 1, 2007
Alabama
jdub;949668 said:
Street racing is a crime, regardless how it came to be that way. The law has a way of stepping in when the idiots of this planet abuses the privileges we all enjoy. Makes it a lot harder on the rest of us.

I agree the law is there to protect the self-centered idiots we've become.

Yes it's illegal. Yes it's dangerous and those who recklessly endangers innocent bystanders should lose their cars and the privilege of driving. I feel the minimum driving age should be 21 because you're more mature and responsible at 21 than at 16.

We're trying to answer a grey question with a black and white answer. It can't be done. Do I condone street racing? That all depends upon the circumstances. I see nothing wrong AS LONG AS NO ONE GETS HURT. No harm no foul. But if some innocent bystander gets hurt, throw the book at them. I started racing when it was considered just a bunch of guys with hopped-up cars out having fun and we knew better than to race in areas where it would put others in danger. This younger generation acts as if they don't care about anybody but themselves nor do they think about the out come of their actions. They're so eager to prove that their balls have dropped that they make stupid choices. I can see why cops harass younger driver with modified car while an older driver with the same car is not.

The media in their attempt at getting ratings hasn't helped out either. Once F&F came out the media made street racing out to be some type of pandemic that was going to kill us all. Like Bird-flu and SARS. They made it out to sound as if the streets were no longer safe because hordes of killer street racers were out there just waiting to t-bone us all. They over-hyped it so much that if some kid had an accident because they were speeding they twisted the facts are far as they could to tie to street racing.

Concern parents who would rather give their children material possessions instead of their attention and time jumped on the band wagon and added to the over-hype because that was the latest thing to be concerned with. It was their civic duty to protect their children from themselves.

Because concern parents got involved and started to harp on the politicians and cops about what were they going to do about the hordes of marauding killer street racers killing ever body on the road. They made laws that targeted anything that might be a modified car because street racers had become a bigger menace to society than drug dealers, murderers, and rapists. And this made politicians look good and anything that is anti-street racing will get them votes in the upcoming elections because street racing is such a major epidemic upon society.

I see more than you think. As a society WE'RE FUCKED! We are so easily distracted from issues that really matter by the latest over-hyped issues that gets the media the highest ratings. We are so easily mislead by the media is not funny.

giterboosted

cure for the common rice
Nov 3, 2007
toccoa ga
ok guys, i realllly wanted to read all the million posts on this issue, but i just simply didnt have time so ima go ahead and put in my lil bit of country sense....

ok i have street raced and will again, i wont lie, BUT we do it in EXTREMELY desolate back country where there literally hasnt been a car for days if not weeks, were talking not even a streetlight or road sign for like 20 miles, and i NEVER encourage people to watch, that is just stupid, why watch, what does that do for you?? and i never race stupid people that just wana be like " omg my car is SOOOOO fast, and yours is crappy" nah those people make themselves look stupid just well enugh on their own.

we try to stay as safe as possible, we have lookouts about a qtr mile away in both directions, and we have a plan for in case someone does come, and theres maybe four of us in all, not at once mind you, but only two at a time while the other one or two are wellll off the road,

we try to do this illegal thing as safely and "legally" as possible for wat its worth

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
buldozr;937438 said:
I would also like to mention that tracks around my area are not easily accesable, first the closest track is 1-1/2 to 2 hours away(the 1/4 mile is 3+ hours away), the prices are rediculous to get in(about 20 bucks to race) and they are so insanely busy that in a 4 hour time span you would be lucky to get 2 maybe 3 runs in. Just isnt worth people going to the track anymore around Dallas.

So let me get this straight.

You do not want to pay $20 plus lets say $80 in gas but are PERFECTLY fine gambling on $520 dollar fine if you get caught. Hmm I think my math might be screwed up just a tad but this is absolutely idiotic!

Don't waste $100 but perhaps $500+... DUH!!!!

mc_h;938019 said:
That's in your opinion. I'm a tax-paying citizen who passed the driving test with flying colors. It's a right to me now, not a privilege. We will never agree on this obviously. I don't even belong in this country with my views, to be honest...

you are a tax paying citizen but opinions are of little use to law. You want to change the law. You elect different officials that have views that align with your. Until then, Duane is correct while you are not regardless of what you "think" is right.

mc_h;938166 said:
Not going to agree with you on it, plain and simple...No sense in taking it further. Haha
My belief has always been, the government has too much power and at this point in time, invade every personal right an individual has. Driving not being an exception, in my opinion.

beliefs do not equal reality. Again Duane is correct and you are attempting to post opinion as fact.