My restoration project - Rusty 89

Tire Shredder

Sep 15, 2005
Oshawa
what a massive body transformation! Such an incredible attention to detail aswell. I love it! it's a true inspiration. Watching proper rebuilds come full circle with correct rust repair is so much more satisfying than just a repaint. Looks like you've been using chassis black on some things. Did you use it for all the suspension parts? It looks much smoother and glossier than I had expected.

keep up the fantastic work.

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
On all of the suspension components I used two coats of the rust preventative paint, followed by two coats of chassis coat black. (all por-15) While I did completely sandblast each part before painting, I went with the rust preventative paint base layers as added protection.

The paint actually ends up quite smooth despite how it appears when you brush it on. I'm very impressed with the paint. If you are using the paint, make sure you apply it at room temperature. I painted my bumper supports at ~5C and the surface finish ended up looking like shit. Good thing they are hidden by the bumpers. (I'm almost embarrassed to say that)

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
nope, the engine and transmission are still hibernating.

The re-appearance of winter is really cramping my style right now (2 f'ing feet of snow int he last 3 days!) - when it warms up, I'll be able to make some progress. All that has really happened since the last pictures I posted is the installation of some body seals (rear targa and rear louvers). The fuel tank is also assembled and ready to be bolted in. Then comes the wonderful task of re-assembling the doors, which I am not looking forward to.

Taking the car apart was much more fun then re-assembling.

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
Sorry, I forgot, the last thing I accomplished on the car was installing the MK4 rear brakes (apologies for the shitty camera phone pic)
vbpgimage.php

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
As of last night, the fuel tank is in. No pictures though, because really, a fuel tank isn't all that exciting.

The fuel tank goes in so nicely when it is bone dry and you're not fighting against rusted bolts/fittings/straps to do the tank back up. I must say though, I regretted my choice to run a -6 line from the tank to the filter as I was tearing apart my forearms on the subframe trying to secure the line.

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
Wow your car looks amazing. And yea i just read through the whole thread.I really love the wheels and now i know what they look like on a white car :) Keep up the awesome work!

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
Now more car-like than ever before!

(Recent installations have been the fuel tank, sound deadening and installing the guts in the driver-side door, installation of new roof and door seals)

If anybody has a complete lock cylinder set in excellent condition (with keys) pm me...I need one.
seals:
p1004535_1.jpg

rear end/fuel tank
p1004535_2.jpg

side shot:
p1004535_3.jpg

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
I'm slowly installing the boring things, like door hardware/guts and moldings and such. I'm currently wiring grounding cables from the battery to the back of the car and installing new fuel pump wiring with a kill switch. I should have some new pictures in a week or so once i get some sandblasting/painting of some engine parts finished.

I'm also attempting to shoehorn some JL 0W6 subwoofers into the rear speaker boxes - we'll see how that pans out.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
I just read every post in this thread. Adam, you're doing amazing work. :) Keep it up! (I have a rustbucket, so this is quite the inspiration!)

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
here are a couple of recent pics of my progress. The only thing really holding me up from assembling the interior is the lock cylinder set I am waiting on (apparently still on the boat from japan)
p1047492_1.jpg

yep, those are new doorjam valves
p1047492_2.jpg

p1047492_3.jpg

and part of the oil system...I got my bypass and conventional filters in yesterday and they are HUGE! 4.5" diameter by 6" length for the bypass...not quite sure where I'm going to stuff that.
p1047492_4.jpg

and yes, 90% of all transmission failures ARE due to excessive heat!

Last edited:

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
Orion ZyGarian;1047723 said:
90% of automatic transmissons yes. Dont forget to plumb the B&M before the ATF hits the radiator.

Lol, I was just quoting what was on the box.....thats my engine oil cooler - you can see my rebuilt R154 a few pages back - no automatic in this car.