MickyG's MX-73 to 7M-GE Swap

mickyg

7MGE MX-73
Sep 15, 2005
Melbourne AU
I wish man! I'm replacing motor mounts on an SR20 Pulsar tonight (mother-in-law's car). Plus giving it a tune-up and a few other bits-n-pieces...

But the day is still young - we'll see!

mickyg

7MGE MX-73
Sep 15, 2005
Melbourne AU
Been having issues on this PC (my wife's) for ages but never on mine. No spyware, no other problems with any other programs to the best of my knowledge. Of course, I've never spent near enough time diagnosing the issue (shame on me...).

My PC's unavailable as I'm fixing one in it's place at the moment. 3 jobs on this weekend to make some extra cash for my project!
  1. Fix Pulsar - Done!
  2. Fix a PC from mother-in-law's work - Nearly Done
  3. Fix a printer from mother-in-law's work

Now, for the details I was going to post before IE kept spazzing!

Got the mounts all sorted for the Pulsar - had to remove all three to find only one was bad. HUGE difference after fixing it! Noise, vibration, droning - all gone now.

I managed to spend about 20 minutes on "my" project tonight! I finished pulling out the valve stem seals and attempted to pull 2 last stubborn valve spring seats but they aren't wanting to come out. Also wrestled with quite a few head bolt washers but they too, appear to be welded in place!

Managed to disassemble and reassemble a 5M piston by hand, just to see if I could! Not sure what a tool does to help in this case but doing it by hand was fairly easy. I'm fascinated by how something as simple as a piston works! If anyone cares to enlighten a curious noob, how do you get enough oil pressure in the rod to piston pin to lubricate it sufficiently? There's no oil channel through the rod, like I though so oil must get up there somehow.

mickyg

7MGE MX-73
Sep 15, 2005
Melbourne AU
DOH I'm such an idiot!!! I was thinking the head surface had higher points than the "top machined" surface. Ian, no wonder you mentioned splinters!

Sometimes I scare myself...

OK, the head is almost exactly 116mm (4.562" = 115.8748mm). I'd say he didn't remove much!

mickyg

7MGE MX-73
Sep 15, 2005
Melbourne AU
Is that a lot?

I've measured in other spots on the head and have some further questions. If the top surface is irregular, the measurements are going to be different, depending on where you measure from. I haven't recorded all the results yet so we'll see how much variance there is.

It does remind me of a question I have had ever since learning about resurfacing though - how does the head get mounted in order to establish the reference point for flatness? Is it measured relative to the top surface, or is the plane measured perpendicular to the head bold holes (which seems to be the best option)?

mickyg

7MGE MX-73
Sep 15, 2005
Melbourne AU
I should have stayed and watched them do it. I'll have to see if there's anything online that shows how this is done (very interested in the machines that do the block as well).

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Depends what sort of machine they have some are dedicated and mount the head with the surface down and move the head over a cutter and some are like my CNC where the head is clamped down to the table and moved under a cutter!