MickyG's MX-73 to 7M-GE Swap

miggles

i wasnt speeding officer
Jun 3, 2005
perth West Australia
no, it'll buff out im sure of it *spits on finger and starts to rub* see its nearly all gone already... Looks like your going to need a bore.
Welcome to modifying and rebuilding engines :D

mickyg

7MGE MX-73
Sep 15, 2005
Melbourne AU
No, actually that's machining dust left over - I checked it today and the spots and vertical marks wiped off without wetting my finger!

I forgot to mention that it hasn't been cleaned AT ALL yet. Not even a squirt with compressed air from what I can see. I still need to attack it with some soap and water, which is planned for tomorrow. It's still sitting in my boot where the moisture, for some reason, hasn't attacked the naked metal surfaces yet!

mickyg

7MGE MX-73
Sep 15, 2005
Melbourne AU
Yeah, it's getting a full clean and anti-rust today at lunchtime. I'm actually surprised it's faired so well in the boot of my car so far!

I had another look at it today and was having a bit of a laugh at how bad the pics looked vs real life. The "pitting" was just a couple of lumps of machining dust (almost look like lint) and the way they absorbed the flash is just uncanny. Same goes for the vertical marks, they were actually made by my finger!

mickyg

7MGE MX-73
Sep 15, 2005
Melbourne AU
Minor Update:

Finally got the block cleaned up, CRC'd and mounted back on the engine stand. It's spent the last week and a bit in the trunk of my car so it's good to finally have the proper ride hight again!

Now, for a really stupid question: The block has had most of the paint stripped off due to hot tanking, it now needs to be repainted but is currently soaked in CRC - how do you remove the CRC without getting solvent/water into places it shouldn't be so that painting can happen?

I can think of a few possible options but what works for most of you?

mickyg

7MGE MX-73
Sep 15, 2005
Melbourne AU
So it just evaporates from places it shouldn't be then? Sounds like a plan. So you don't bother taping things off then? I'm thinking I don't want paint in a few places so would likely need to mask those off (specifically thinking of the deck).

mickyg

7MGE MX-73
Sep 15, 2005
Melbourne AU
The idea certainly has merit! So you don't worry about etch priming the aluminium then?

My plans at this stage are to paint the block seperately so I may just have to mask off the areas I don't want paint on - won't kill me!

For colour choices, I'm thinking stock black or something a bit more interesting. The colour of raw steel is very appealing to me. It's not too flashy and in my mind, would show up leaks (oil or coolant) a lot better than black. Then again, if it gets built right, leaks should not be an option! I'll have to see if a "steel" colour is even available in engine enamel and make my decision after that.

mickyg

7MGE MX-73
Sep 15, 2005
Melbourne AU
I'm not wanting anything that's too flashy either and would consider "Cast Iron" a nice neutral look! I'll have a look at it but think that's probably what I'll end up doing. I'm not planning on painting anything else except the block, simply because rust is not a colour I'm fond of!

mickyg

7MGE MX-73
Sep 15, 2005
Melbourne AU
Today:

Got ALL my parts in today!

Full gasket kit including, you guessed it, every gasket and seal I could possibly need, even the distributor O ring! There were no "partial kits" that had everything except a head gasket. Might have to ebay a few of my leftover head gaskets (I now have 4!).

.25mm over main bearings

.50mm over rod bearings

Rings which appear to be your standard Molybdenum coated barrel surface for the top ring, cast iron for second ring, and regular oil ring arrangement.

Anyway, everything looks fine and I'm excited to finally be getting things back together!

mickyg

7MGE MX-73
Sep 15, 2005
Melbourne AU
Today:

Took the afternoon off of work because I'm sick - AGAIN! I've never been sick this many times in one year, it's starting to get on my nerves!

Spent a bit of time in the garage contemplating whether or not I felt well enough to even think about working on the engine and made a comprimise to spend an hour. After the hour was up, I decide that was enough. I managed to clean the cylinders with soap, water and a bit of blood (damn the tops of the cylinders are sharp!) and install the main bearings (well half way, at least):

Attachments

• mainbearingsstarted.jpg
    mainbearingsstarted.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 20
Last edited: