maftpro is working

Adjuster

Supramania Contributor
Dr J, do you have the Maft Pro in stock, and the parts needed to go Speed Density and control boost?

I'm looking at going this route soon, and was wondering about shipping time. (How long is my car going to be down if I sell my Eman/Eo1 based setup.)

I know the install is as easy as the Eman. Plus no AFM to worry about anymore!

I've read it before, but the Maft Pro works with the PLX wideband right? (Autotune is a huge improvement, so I'm looking forward to that especially since I hate tuning.)

Thanks.

drjonez

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
the motor city
www.4cefed.com
Adjuster said:
Dr J, do you have the Maft Pro in stock, and the parts needed to go Speed Density and control boost?

I'm looking at going this route soon, and was wondering about shipping time. (How long is my car going to be down if I sell my Eman/Eo1 based setup.)

i have the MAFT pro in stock and ready to go, harnesses should be in a few days.

Adjuster said:
I know the install is as easy as the Eman. Plus no AFM to worry about anymore!

I've read it before, but the Maft Pro works with the PLX wideband right? (Autotune is a huge improvement, so I'm looking forward to that especially since I hate tuning.)

Thanks.

here are the currently supported WBs:

-innovate LC-1
-innovate LM-1
-AEM
-tech edge
-zietronix ZT2
-dynojet WB commander

while PLX is not explicited supported, it's factors may be similar to some of the above....if they're not it shouldn't be too big a deal to get it added.

just a clairification- AFR tracking is not an autotune feature. AFR tracking merely corrects realtime, it DOES NOT apply anything that it does to any long standing tables, etc. you could easily datalog some runs when using AFR tracking and then apply the corrections it was making to the MAFT pro's settings. i hope that makes sense...:1zhelp:

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
drjonez said:
just a clairification- AFR tracking is not an autotune feature. AFR tracking merely corrects realtime, it DOES NOT apply anything that it does to any long standing tables, etc. you could easily datalog some runs when using AFR tracking and then apply the corrections it was making to the MAFT pro's settings. i hope that makes sense...:1zhelp:

hmm. i had thought thru reading it was an autotune.

im reading the manual now, and it does state early on "the translator pro does not self-tune, but will correct its output while at wot. see seperate section"

ok. so its sorta like an instructional video. this is what corrections were made to hit your desired a/f. to make these changes do so in the settings.
gotcha.

seeing other section....

ok. now im confused again :cry:

lean lim% the max % that the system will lean out to maintain the desired a/f. it is advisable to set this around 5% so the AFR will not go incredibly lean if there is a problem with the wideband unit.

rich lim% the max % that the system will richen up to maintain the desired a/f. this can be fairly high (25%) to help protect the engine in case of a fuel system partial failure.

now. reading this, if it doesnt make actual changes to my a/f tables then why do i care about the lean/rich limits?
or...
does it actually make the changes at that point in time, but are volatile. to make the changes permanent you must put those calculations into the a/f settings.

i think this is how it does it. in other words, it does adjust/tune/compensate the a/f real time, but are not saved to your tables. i suppose in theory, you could leave tracking on full time and it will self adjust and not store the data. meaning in essence, you would never have to setup a table. dont know that you would want to do that, but you could?

sorry for the ramblings, just trying to understand how it works to exploit it to its full potential.

toml

Jul 24, 2005
Adelaide, Australia
dbsupra90 said:
hmm. i had thought thru reading it was an autotune.

now. reading this, if it doesnt make actual changes to my a/f tables then why do i care about the lean/rich limits?
or...
does it actually make the changes at that point in time, but are volatile. to make the changes permanent you must put those calculations into the a/f settings.

It does apply the changes to your a/f table "on-the-fly". The difference between this function and an autotune is that these changes to the a/f table are NOT saved/stored in the standard table.
So next time you start your car, if you have turned off the AFR Tracking, the A/F table will not reflect the tuning done when it was on.

Hope this makes sense...

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
toml said:
It does apply the changes to your a/f table "on-the-fly". The difference between this function and an autotune is that these changes to the a/f table are NOT saved/stored in the standard table.
So next time you start your car, if you have turned off the AFR Tracking, the A/F table will not reflect the tuning done when it was on.

Hope this makes sense...

yep makes sense. it does actually change the a/f. then if you want those settings you simply write down the corrections and put that into your table and save it.

thanks for the clarification.

toml

Jul 24, 2005
Adelaide, Australia
No problems...

The one thing i'm not sure on is how to monitor the changes the AFR tracking is making, but i'm sure drjonez or someone can help with that. I assume you're able to log the changes in the maftpro software and just copy them over into the fuel map.

jkbmkiii

Supramania Contributor
Nov 24, 2005
Castle Rock colorado
drjonez said:
no idea of your orientations, etc. make sure it's hooked up like this:

'89+
p199755_1.jpg

'87-'88
p199755_2.jpg

I wired mine up the same way NJsupraA70's Maft Pro wirte up had said + the Mpro Directions, and The only thing that is diffrent than the one you posted here is where the pink goes to on the ecu

I hooked the pink wire from the 10 Pin MaftP to The +B or the + B1, Bolth of the Pics of the pin out are diffrent? The MaftP would not turn on if that was wrong, correct????

I looked and I think +B +B1 are EFI main relays........
Other than that The rest of my wires are correct, But DrJ you had said that "location varies w/yr." Is there somthing Iam missing?

Last edited:

NJsupraA70

Ex-Supra Owner
Sep 18, 2005
NJ
jkbmkiii said:
I wired mine up the way NJsupraA70's Maft Pro wirte up, and The only thing that is diffrent than the one you posted here is where the pink goes to on the ecu

I hooked the pink wire from the 10 Pin MaftP to The +B or the + B1, Bolth of the Pics of the pin out are diffrent? The MaftP would not turn on if that was wrong, correct????

they are different because you are looking at a 89+ diagram vs. pre 89. BTW - WHO edited my 89+diagram and made that one? I know my wiring diagrams are not exactly kosher but that one is real sloppy and I dont like the fact that my name is credited to that one!!. PLEASE ERASE IT! Thanks! :) Here is my pre 89 diagram:

p199781_1.jpg

NJsupraA70

Ex-Supra Owner
Sep 18, 2005
NJ
drjonez said:
while PLX is not explicited supported, it's factors may be similar to some of the above....if they're not it shouldn't be too big a deal to get it added.

:

the PLX w/b works perfectly with the maftpro. I was using a plx M-300 and had zero issues. :icon_bigg

pimptrizkit

thread killer
Dec 22, 2005
vancouver Wa
i belive nj is right, i made that fake copy and i forgot to right any thing edited about it on there, i set my car up as of nj's diagram. i was getting code 11 with the pink wire on the other one..

drjonez

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
the motor city
www.4cefed.com
dbsupra90 said:
lean lim% the max % that the system will lean out to maintain the desired a/f. it is advisable to set this around 5% so the AFR will not go incredibly lean if there is a problem with the wideband unit.

rich lim% the max % that the system will richen up to maintain the desired a/f. this can be fairly high (25%) to help protect the engine in case of a fuel system partial failure.

the changes that are made during AFR tracking as instantaneous and on the fly, they are not saved anywhere. rich/lean lim % are merely the limits of the correction that AFR tracking can make....

dbsupra90 said:
or...

i think this is how it does it. in other words, it does adjust/tune/compensate the a/f real time, but are not saved to your tables. i suppose in theory, you could leave tracking on full time and it will self adjust and not store the data. meaning in essence, you would never have to setup a table. dont know that you would want to do that, but you could?

sorry for the ramblings, just trying to understand how it works to exploit it to its full potential.

you're exactly correct. that's what it does.

again, to apply the corrections that AFR tracking is making, simply log CF, RPM and TPS. then add those values to the proper table....(hi, low, mid, etc.)

drjonez

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
the motor city
www.4cefed.com
toml said:
No problems...

The one thing i'm not sure on is how to monitor the changes the AFR tracking is making, but i'm sure drjonez or someone can help with that. I assume you're able to log the changes in the maftpro software and just copy them over into the fuel map.

like i said above, simply monitor the CF parameter. CF is the AFR tracking correction factor (%).

isnms

United States of America
Mar 30, 2005
Oklahoma
i80.photobucket.com
NJsupraA70 said:
they are different because you are looking at a 89+ diagram vs. pre 89. BTW - WHO edited my 89+diagram and made that one? I know my wiring diagrams are not exactly kosher but that one is real sloppy and I dont like the fact that my name is credited to that one!!. PLEASE ERASE IT! Thanks! :) Here is my pre 89 diagram:
I hear ya NJsupraA70. I wouldn't like someone sticking my name on something that looks like crap. Your diagram looks great and I hope they remove the other one.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
drjonez said:
someday i'll get around to making my own install docs.....

You know...you're really starting to peak my interest in this piece of equipment :evil2: