Ideas for my fuel system: sump the tank, aditional intank pump?

Reign_Maker

Has cheezberger
Aug 31, 2005
Florida
Good info John... Hey, Bosch is made in Germany, right? ;) I see a little country loyalty there, haha... What fuel lines am I running up front? Sainless braided with a Paxton FPR...

Sean when you used the stock relay, were you able to install a toggle switch for your pump to turn it on and off?

Dec 3, 2003
Canada
I keep telling people over and over what I have done in regards to driving to and from various places. I drove my Supra on man long trips ex: Vegas twice 1600 miles one way, Oregon many times 6 hour drive, track, California,1300 miles one way and the list goes on. My car has been run with an A1000 all this time and I still stand by it. I just upgraded this time around since I have a bigger power goal. I run the Eliminator pump now and the set-up for fuel lines etc..is the same. *this is a recording*

So in essence, go with the A1000 Jake :)

PS; I don't run the extra part that is so called needed to make the pump last longer..Can't remember what it is called.

Duane

Slow66

I think with my dipstick
Apr 3, 2005
Newington, CT
upgradedsupra said:
PS; I don't run the extra part that is so called needed to make the pump last longer..Can't remember what it is called.

Duane

Duane you are right, it isnt "needed" :)

I would however be willing to bet you though that over the course of a few years, the pump with the elec. controller would have less wear and tear (i.e. prone to failure).

Who am i kidding though....i use a mechanical fuel pump :icon_razz :)

aljordan

LEADED FUEL ONLY
Jul 14, 2005
Indianapolis, Indiana
www.apeserver.com
IIRC, when I was planning a big setup, the A1000 wasn't large enough to fuel six 800cc injectors. 4800cc is 457 lbs/hr of fuel @ 43psig. Run only 20psi on top of that 43 and you're suddenly running out of pump. To run 30psi on those 800s you'd have to run a base pressure of 25psi. That's considering a max fuel load of 457 lbs/hr, 30psi of boost, 800cc injectors and getting 12v at the pump (13.5v would get you another 50 lbs/hr). Anything more than that and you'll start to drop fuel pressure.

I know I was concerned about running such a "small" pump.

Check and double check your math before committing to a setup.

Reign_Maker

Has cheezberger
Aug 31, 2005
Florida
Im just gunna be like Duane and get an Eliminator... Like I was tellin D last night, you guys are getting me to upgrade my upgrades, lol...

X-man

Dec 5, 2005
Pulaski,Va
I ran the stock relay when I was still on the stock ecu. I took the two wires that go to the pump in the tank and ran them to my A1000. Now I have bypassed all the stock relay and use the circuit opening relay to trigger a fuel pump relay I installed in the trunk so my fuel pump wiring is now only 3 ft long and no#10. My battery is in the trunk. Alan and Duane are right though and I will probably be upgrading my pump soon as I'm now have 1000 cc injectors on in the car.

Sean

Reign_Maker

Has cheezberger
Aug 31, 2005
Florida
I have 1000cc injectors, so the A1000 should go? And Sean, I dont have the stock ecu, Im using AEM, so can the aem control the pump?

yaitsme

Beach Bum
Mar 2, 2006
Cheatham County, TN
But will you actually be using all 1000 of those cc's? I think that's part of the equation - though I could be wrong (it's happened before, believe it or not).

I've done the same - 1000cc RC's & an A1000. As you noted, there are a few here who've already proven this setup for highway mileage, with the proer precautions, as have been noted.

Mine is yet to be started, so I had nothing valuable to add before, but when I was second-guessing my A1000 decision, the fact that I'll only use a fraction of the injectors' capacity played a role in my decision to stick with the A1000.

And yes - the AEM can control the pump, no need for the separate box .... at least that's what my AEM guy is telling me, as noted - I'm not running yet (and mybe a little bitter about it, but that's another thread ;))

X-man

Dec 5, 2005
Pulaski,Va
The AEM controls the stock circuit opening relay which supplies power to the fuel pump relay in the stock set up. The AEM will run everything just like factory or you can do like I did and just take the battery supply wire for the fuel pump relay and jump it to the relay power supply to the pump and use it trigger a relay so you can get 12 gauge wire to the pump.

Sean

gixxer750

2jzget comingsoon!
Mar 30, 2005
Mississippi
Just another vote for the a1000.

I run my car everywhere. I took a 2 hour drive(one way) to baton rouge with my a1000, and then the next day, a 2 hour drive(also one way) to hattisburg. I drive up to jackson about once every two weeks in my car, and thats an hour drive one way. I've put a whole bunch of miles on my a1000, and still working perfectly. However... DO run the required 100 micron prefilter, or you'll be replacing that pump.

GL jake

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
yes its the heat that causes the concern.

aeromotive told me the fuel gets heated by the pump and so long as you dont run the tank low it shouldnt be an issue. you could consider a fuel cooler as well.

cjsupra90

previously chris90na-t
Jun 11, 2005
Lakeland, FL
Ok, I'll go with my usual way out in left feld ideas here,

Jake, mod and sump the tank and mount the A1000 in the tank. Then you have the cooling effect of be submerged in the fuel and no issues with running times.

Yes its a little bit of work, but the end results are worth it.

QWIKSTRIKE

475rwhp459torq an climbin
Apr 3, 2005
Some where out there
www.cardomain.com
So far I am using the stock hanger. No need to buy any over the top dual intank hanger. Just modify the stocker, and hang 2 other than walbros if you dont feel comfortable with the walbros. I have 2 walbros, and separated then with a foam insulator sold to keep electromagnetic interference down. So far I have been running them since October 2006. I had the fuel rail drilled in the middle for a return and fed both ends with -6 feeds. I have dual braided fuel lines for feeds, and I have Aeroquip fuel black push lock hose for the return. I have fuel filters on both feeds right off of the tank insert for easy filter changes! Just drill out the feeds of the stock hanger, and use your own 90 degree fittings, and call it a day! The wires are fed through bulk head fittings, and the hole filled in with JB weld to keep fumes from escaping. The tank has to be messaged to get the dual pumps in regardless of what hanger you use! I just made sure the tank was on empty, and cut away that litttle lip on the inside of the tanks edge. This took about an hour to do! Then I was able to send two pumps down the hole;) To get play by play details contact chevyeater it's his genius design. When it warms up I will cut an easy acces in the trunk to aid in QWIK removal. Then maybe I can take pictures for all of you to see a work of art! the homies here in the Bronx were all drooling over the look and Quality design!;) Thanks a million Chevy!

Last edited:

becauseican

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Vancouver
www.bicperformance.com
QWIKSTRIKE said:
So far I am using the stock hanger. No need to buy any over the top dual intank hanger. Just modify the stocker and hang 2 other than walbros if you dont feel comfortable with the walbros. I have 2 walbros and separated then with a foam insulator sold to keep electromagnetic interference down. So far I have been running them since October 2006. I had the fuel rail drilled in the middle for a return and fed both ends with -6 feeds. I have braided fuell lines for feeds and I have Aeroquip fuel black push lock hose for the return. I have fuel filters on both feeds right off of the tank insert for easy filter changes! Just drill out the feeds of the stock hanger and use your own 90 degree fittings and call it a day! The wires are fed through bulk head fittings and the hole filled in with JB weld to keep fumes from escaping. The tank has to be messaged to get the dual pumps in regardless of what hanger you use! I just made sure the tank was on empty and cut away that litttle lip on the inside of the tnaks edge. This took about an horu to do! Then I was able to send two pumps down the hole;) To get play by play details contact chevyeater it's his genius design. Wehn it warms up I will cut an easy acces in the trunk to aid in QWIK removal. Then maybe I can take pictures for all of you to see a work of art! the homies here in the Bronx were all drooling over the look and Quality design!;) Thanks a million Chevy!

Yes pics and a write up would be great for the community!!

QWIKSTRIKE

475rwhp459torq an climbin
Apr 3, 2005
Some where out there
www.cardomain.com
X-man said:
The AEM controls the stock circuit opening relay which supplies power to the fuel pump relay in the stock set up. The AEM will run everything just like factory or you can do like I did and just take the battery supply wire for the fuel pump relay and jump it to the relay power supply to the pump and use it trigger a relay so you can get 12 gauge wire to the pump.
Sean

My pumps ran better like this description and setup. The 12v direct connection worked my pumps the best.:biglaugh: