Ideas for my fuel system: sump the tank, aditional intank pump?

Dec 3, 2003
Canada
supra90turbo said:
I know the thread has moved in a different direction, but why not sump your stock tank and run it to the external fuel pump?

Mine has a sump in it and I run the Eliminator pump (same OD as A1000)

I will just say this again..I have run 1600 mile trips (one way) which was a 2 day drive. These pumps are awsome!

Duane

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
I am the only crazy guy running a weldon 2345 pump in their cars???????

I like the weldon's just for the simple fact of alkie compatability. Same with the Perfomance engineering and B&G Sumo and Enduro pumps.

of course this weldon FP weighs in at a heft 6 lbs alone and can push enough gasoline to run 2400 hp ;)

Reign_Maker

Has cheezberger
Aug 31, 2005
Florida
Supra90: where did you see that sump? I like that! Just cut and weld, easy!

Duane: :love:

supra90turbo said:
Eliminator it is then. For me anyhow.
I know right... I'm tryin to keep up with the Duaneses of the community... I havent even got my motor back in and Im already lookin to upgrade, HAHA!

Figgie: I dont wanna run alky! Geez... lol... Wait... Are YOU gunna run alky? *hmmm, I just might have to upgrade my upgraded upgrades AGAIN!* :D:D:D

I've pretty much decided Im NOT running dual in tank pumps... I dont trust them... Until I see an MKIII *7M POWERED!* that's pushing OVER 800hp with dual intanks, then Im not doin it... My whole set up is built to be limited by only ONE thing, my turbo... NOT my block, not my rotating assembly, not my tranny, and not my fuel... I would rather over kill all this hard shit... A turbo can be swapped in 2 hours... Redesigning my whole fuel system, eh, take a little longer... ;)

Slow66

I think with my dipstick
Apr 3, 2005
Newington, CT
Jake if you want a sump, i got one laying around, that ill practically give ya....lemme know, and ill get some pics....

Reign_Maker

Has cheezberger
Aug 31, 2005
Florida
Hey, are 1/2 in. NPT the same as -10AN?

Bryan, shoot me a PM on the piece... Pics and price please... thanks...

SD2JZA70

HardTunedMotorsports
Apr 5, 2005
San Marcos, CA
www.cardomain.com
upgradedsupra said:
Mine has a sump in it and I run the Eliminator pump (same OD as A1000)

I will just say this again..I have run 1600 mile trips (one way) which was a 2 day drive. These pumps are awsome!

Duane
Mine has that same sump set up with an A1000 which will soon be upgraded to the eliminator too.

aljordan

LEADED FUEL ONLY
Jul 14, 2005
Indianapolis, Indiana
www.apeserver.com
Reign.. there are plenty of mk4 guys out there using twin in tank walbros. I don't know why you'd stipulate that it has to be 7m powered. An engine is an engine. If one is concerned about one pump dropping out while under boost, setup a warning light that illuminates should a/f ratios go leaner than 11.5 when over 10psi of boost. AEM can do this via the check engine light.

I know of a car that did 800 to the wheels. IIRC, he used twin bosche pumps. Although I could be totally wrong on the pumps. Just rememeber seeing a picture many years ago.

X-man

Dec 5, 2005
Pulaski,Va
aljordan said:
Reign.. there are plenty of mk4 guys out there using twin in tank walbros. I don't know why you'd stipulate that it has to be 7m powered. An engine is an engine. If one is concerned about one pump dropping out while under boost, setup a warning light that illuminates should a/f ratios go leaner than 11.5 when over 10psi of boost. AEM can do this via the check engine light.

I know of a car that did 800 to the wheels. IIRC, he used twin bosche pumps. Although I could be totally wrong on the pumps. Just rememeber seeing a picture many years ago.

Most of the MKIV guys seem to go to 3 Wal-bro's over 1000 rwhp from what I have seen. The industry standard on the Supraforums for years seemed to be twin Wal-bro pumps. Dave Henry ran them for awhile and even had one fail on the dyno. I think he managed 603 rwhp on one Wal-bro before it went lean and this was through an auto with a loose stall if I remember correctly.

Sean

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
Reign_Maker said:
Figgie: I dont wanna run alky! Geez... lol... Wait... Are YOU gunna run alky? *hmmm, I just might have to upgrade my upgraded upgrades AGAIN!* :D:D:D

I've pretty much decided Im NOT running dual in tank pumps... I dont trust them... Until I see an MKIII *7M POWERED!* that's pushing OVER 800hp with dual intanks, then Im not doin it... My whole set up is built to be limited by only ONE thing, my turbo... NOT my block, not my rotating assembly, not my tranny, and not my fuel... I would rather over kill all this hard shit... A turbo can be swapped in 2 hours... Redesigning my whole fuel system, eh, take a little longer... ;)

Jake

but of course ;)

E85 is in abundance here.

as for the MKIV supra...

of course they run double, triple , quad pumpers! Composite fuel tanks! Can not weld a sump to it and any cutting basically puts the whole tanks at risk. So either shoe horn multiple pumps into the fuel tank or swap out ofr a race fuel cell.....

Luckily for us, we have metal fuel tanks.

gilberjj

Friend of Fast
Apr 14, 2006
Tacoma, WA
hey kwnate, and x-man, im super interested in your guys set-up. do you have any precise pics of where you drilled into the gas tank. im not about to go fishing around the gas tank with a drill....... or does it not really matter that much, as long as it's in the middle somewhere. also, would it be bad to just put an inline fuel filter right outside of the tank, before the pump?

thanks in advance
jorgen

kwnate

Lurker
Jul 10, 2005
None of your fucking business
After you get the tank out (drained) rinse it with soap and water 3-4 times. Take the stock pump out, you can see where it sits inside the baffle. Drill somewhere in the middle of it. It will make sense when you're looking at the tank out of the car.

gilberjj

Friend of Fast
Apr 14, 2006
Tacoma, WA
kwnate said:
After you get the tank out (drained) rinse it with soap and water 3-4 times. Take the stock pump out, you can see where it sits inside the baffle. Drill somewhere in the middle of it. It will make sense when you're looking at the tank out of the car.

thanks a ton!!!!! looks i have another little project now....... now if i could only find time and money to put on my greddy manifold, dp, turbo, tune it, injectors..... it goes on and on

themadhatter

Jul 5, 2006
Vegas
i have a dumb question how does a external fuel pump work correctly with your stocker still in place? Doesn't the stock fuel pump limit the flow of the external pump?