Ideas for my fuel system: sump the tank, aditional intank pump?

Reign_Maker

Has cheezberger
Aug 31, 2005
Florida
The internal feeds the external... Im sure the stocker limited the hell outta that Bosche I had, which is probably the reason I ran out of fuel at only 23psi of boost... Had there been a walbro in the tank, Im sure I could've easily hit 25-30psi and made alot more power...

Another reason I want to get away fro the internal is the size of the fuel line coming from the tank is friggin tiny... Like suckin gas through a straw, when my A1000 wants to suck gas through a hose...

tookwik4u89

Red T-shirt
Apr 6, 2005
Rockford, IL
When you go dual in tank, you chop the stock line off, drill it out, and put a -8an bulkhead fitting in......at least that's what i did to mine. It's -8 all the way, then split to -6 x2 at the rail.

Reign_Maker

Has cheezberger
Aug 31, 2005
Florida
Dude, it just would've been nice if they put a bigger pump in there in the first place... Part of building is planning, and the planning on the previous build was terrible... Im trying to make sure that I plan all this out properly so that I dont run out of fuel or anything else before my turbo runs out...

Reign_Maker

Has cheezberger
Aug 31, 2005
Florida
I am... Still tossing around, but its in the back of the list right now... Trying to see what the stock tank can do for me... One of the things that concerns me about a cell is the extra weignt needed to support it... I mean, like with yours, having the bracings welded in and such... The stock tank has two straps that weigh about 2 pounds... I cant just sit a fuel cell in my hatch, so I'd have to weld in supports and cut out the floor and all that...

buckshotglass

I love all your sounds.
oic. Next time I have the cell out, I will weigh the bracket. It's not more than about 5 lbs. I made it from thin wall tubing. The sweet pickups, and foam baffle outweigh the weight gain, for me. But really, that thing is light.

The other thing is, if you want to go that fast, don't they (tracks) require a cell?

gixxer750

2jzget comingsoon!
Mar 30, 2005
Mississippi
no, NHRA regs don't require a cell for a street car.

Don't do a cell jake, do a sump.

I'm not real fond of my cell. sixteen gallon cell from empty and the fuel pump whining around turns it only holds ten gallons. The gas gauge won't work right. The bulkhead fittings get loose some times and you have to tighten them up.

Just do a sump.

Zazzn

l33t M0derat0r (On some other forum) n00blet here
Apr 1, 2005
Toronto/SF Bay area
To be honest, i though long and hard about what I wanted to do and in the end to me the cheapest easiest route was to buy rudy's hanger.

I mean I could have modified mine but then I had to deal with bulk head fittings and all the rest of the garbage that goes along with it..

I though about a sumped setup then i said scerw it.....

Dual walkbros will take care of me...

Lots of guys running stupid hp on sf with mk4's and duals.

Anyways, so I went twin walbros with rudy's hanger and -8 form the back to the rail and stock return.

gilberjj

Friend of Fast
Apr 14, 2006
Tacoma, WA
what about a single intake walbro, and then an inline walbro???? why wouldn't this work..... it is certainly cheaper than an external, im guessing its quieter, and it probably flows more, or the same as an a1000. dual 255's, thats gotta pump a lot!!!!

by the way, this is more of a question, but it seems like it would work to me

Reign_Maker

Has cheezberger
Aug 31, 2005
Florida
I dont know Gil... I already have the A1000, and I got it because I was under the impression that it would be more than enough for me... And I think it will be...

Boosted Supra

AEM 7MGTE 6765
Apr 7, 2005
Valley Stream, New York, United States
I'm also running an A1000, many trips from NYC/FL to Canada. The only problem I had with them is level on gas in tank, if the gas is too low like 1/4 tank full, the pump tends to die out (over heats). This is stated on Aeromotive website.

To defeat the over heating problem was to keep it above 1/2 tank and if I do get stuck, I pull over and let it cool. I'm planning on putting a MKIV or Walbro intank with a toggle switch to kick on if I ever do get stuck. This usually happens in the hot summer days. It sucks to be stranded out in the boonies hundreds of miles away from home, it ain't pretty, especially with no AC :cry:

My feed for my A1000 is from the top, could that be the problem?

Dec 3, 2003
Canada
Boosted Supra said:
I'm also running an A1000, many trips from NYC/FL to Canada. The only problem I had with them is level on gas in tank, if the gas is too low like 1/4 tank full, the pump tends to die out (over heats). This is stated on Aeromotive website.

To defeat the over heating problem was to keep it above 1/2 tank and if I do get stuck, I pull over and let it cool. I'm planning on putting a MKIV or Walbro intank with a toggle switch to kick on if I ever do get stuck. This usually happens in the hot summer days. It sucks to be stranded out in the boonies hundreds of miles away from home, it ain't pretty, especially with no AC :cry:

My feed for my A1000 is from the top, could that be the problem?

You need a surge tank. It is kinda like what you said but it works more like if you have low fuel, this other pump (in tank or outside doesn't matter aka surge tank) will keep the big pump flowing at all times. No need for a switch. This is somehting I am planning to do but haven't gotten to it yet. :)

Duane

X-man

Dec 5, 2005
Pulaski,Va
gilberjj said:
hey kwnate, and x-man, im super interested in your guys set-up. do you have any precise pics of where you drilled into the gas tank. im not about to go fishing around the gas tank with a drill....... or does it not really matter that much, as long as it's in the middle somewhere. also, would it be bad to just put an inline fuel filter right outside of the tank, before the pump?

thanks in advance
jorgen

p523911_1.jpg

Sean

Reign_Maker

Has cheezberger
Aug 31, 2005
Florida
upgradedsupra said:
You need a surge tank. It is kinda like what you said but it works more like if you have low fuel, this other pump (in tank or outside doesn't matter aka surge tank) will keep the big pump flowing at all times. No need for a switch. This is somehting I am planning to do but haven't gotten to it yet. :)

Duane
Could you use an intank pump and "T" it into your fuel line so if you didnt wanna run the A1000, you could switch it off and then switch on the "stock" pump for long trips?

Dec 3, 2003
Canada
Reign_Maker said:
Could you use an intank pump and "T" it into your fuel line so if you didnt wanna run the A1000, you could switch it off and then switch on the "stock" pump for long trips?
I guess you COULD but why would you want to? It will defeat the purpose of having an external pump and dont' forget the benefits of having it this way also.

I say go with a surge tank that will be outside with a small tank then have it feed the big pump (only when it gets to low ) and no worries :) That si what my plan is. The Aeromotive pums are very reliable so stock trying t6o make up your mind. Your are going to listen to me :biglaugh: J/K

Duane