Ideas for my fuel system: sump the tank, aditional intank pump?

yaitsme

Beach Bum
Mar 2, 2006
Cheatham County, TN
Boosted Supra said:
My feed for my A1000 is from the top, could that be the problem?

Mine's the same way - dropped in a new 1/2in pickup tube (to the spot these guys are pulling a bottom feed from) ... haven't fired mine up yet, so can't compare - but it's one of those items I'm concerned about. I'm sure keeping the tank 1/2 full, as recommended, is far more important for our setup. Also, keep in mind the recommendation to mount the pump at-or-below the pickup - so it's gravity-fed (more or less) ... that's bound to help keep the pump running cool.

I don't remember seeing this while I was kicking ideas around:
supra90turbo said:
I like that a LOT better than having a fitting hanging outta the bottom of the tank. In the end, I decided I'd rather worry about keeping the tank half-full than ripping off a fitting on a curb, speedbump or who knows what.

Hmm, who's got a used tank & welder, me & Reign may have some work them! :naughty:

Reign_Maker

Has cheezberger
Aug 31, 2005
Florida
Duane, when do you think you'll have yurs done? I want to see what it looks like... Or if anyone has a pic of this set up, I'd like to see it, I cant "see" it in my head...

Reign_Maker

Has cheezberger
Aug 31, 2005
Florida
yaitsme said:
Hmm, who's got a used tank & welder, me & Reign may have some work them! :naughty:
My buddy is willing to weld one on for me... He works on air planes, so I trust him... ;) Im like, make sure no gas in it before you spark up, lol...

Dec 3, 2003
Canada
yaitsme said:
I like that a LOT better than having a fitting hanging outta the bottom of the tank. In the end, I decided I'd rather worry about keeping the tank half-full than ripping off a fitting on a curb, speedbump or who knows what.

You would have to worry about hitting your frame rails on the car before the sump in the tank hits as it is not low at all. I have been running mine for a few years now. As far as curbs? lol.. you have to be an idiot to hit one and would have to be pretty high in order to do so in the first place. You obviously have never seen a sump in a Supra if you think it will hit off a speed bump. Maybe I will post some pics of mine to give you an idea. (gotta find some pics)

Reign_Maker said:
Duane, when do you think you'll have yurs done? I want to see what it looks like... Or if anyone has a pic of this set up, I'd like to see it, I cant "see" it in my head...

My tank already has a sump and I assume you knew that? or are you talking about the surge tank?

Duane

Last edited:

Reign_Maker

Has cheezberger
Aug 31, 2005
Florida
Yaitsme, sorry to hear about your friend from work... When I used to do weld inspections, there were two welders at a plant that died while weldong ona vessel that was suppose to have all the fumes evacuated from it, but it wasnt properly ventilated, and as soon as that torch broke through the metal, the thing literally exploded... It was terrible... But yeah, he was telling me that they use soap and water when they weld on tanks... Like I said, I feel comfortable with him doing it... And Im sure he feels comfortable, I dont think he'd weld something he fealt was unsafe...

Duane, Im talking about the surge tank...

gilberjj

Friend of Fast
Apr 14, 2006
Tacoma, WA
show_image.pl

I stumbled across duanes set-up on his cardomain.com page. just for a quick visual for some.......

Reign_Maker

Has cheezberger
Aug 31, 2005
Florida
^^^ That reminds me, I gotta clean up the outside of my fuel tank, lol... *sighs* Even Duane's tank is perfectly spotless!

Reign_Maker

Has cheezberger
Aug 31, 2005
Florida
OMG, shipping would be a killer on that thing... Thanks for the offer... If mine gets railed up, I might take you up on that offer...

yaitsme

Beach Bum
Mar 2, 2006
Cheatham County, TN
Right you are, Upgraded - my tank was out when I was kicking ideas around ... at the time, I wasn't looking at the big picture. Sorry for the b.s. post.

Reign - I'm just finding my way back here, see you replied to one I deleted. I'da left it up had I known ... sorry. I didn't wanna get called out on the water suggestion 'cause I really don't know - but I do know it can kill when done incorrectly & I don't want to see anything like that again!

hmm ... Buckshot - PA, huh ...

yaitsme

Beach Bum
Mar 2, 2006
Cheatham County, TN
upgradedsupra said:
As far as curbs? lol.. you have to be an idiot to hit one

LOL - but you're callin me out for being an idiot - and I'll freely admit to it !!
J/K J/K

Not to mention, with the wife driving ... :biglaugh:
(Good thing she's not on here!)

Reign_Maker

Has cheezberger
Aug 31, 2005
Florida
You know there is a reason I call you BIG "D" right Duane... :D:D:D

Buck, hold that tank, I might get it from ya...

Yait, yes you flush them with water, so dont worry about being called out... My buddy came by today, and we talked about this... I told him, if you arenty 100% sure you feel safe doing this, I dont want you to do it... He was like, dont worry, I'll flush the tank with water about 4 times, let it sit with all the vents open, and it'll be fine... Oh, and Yait, I can read posts when they're deleted... ;) Normally I wouldnt respond, but I thought you had a valid post worthy of a reply, just wanted you to know I acknowledge your point...

Reign_Maker

Has cheezberger
Aug 31, 2005
Florida
BTW: here is the pump and the shit inlet fuel line... Now, realize its no longer attached, so those nasty bends were ALOT worse when it was attached... WHO THE F*CK would install a fuel line with not only one, but TWO kinks in the friggin inlet... I cant believe this thing even made the hp it did with that... Oh, and I dunno if you can see in the pics, the cracks in the rubber, Im suprised it didnt bust a leak...

2s0ei61.jpg

314thqd.jpg