ForcedTorque's 3E5 has Arrived!!!!!

noah89t

get naked & boost a supra
ForcedTorque;1001645 said:
I took Noah's advise and lowered my fuel pressure to 26 without the vacuum line, and hooked up it dropped it to under 20. That brought my boost back, and smoothed most of the lawnmowering.
that might be lower fuel pressure than stock, but i will have to reasearch to find out for sure. reading now..... page FI-73. tsrm says with line off and plugged, pressure should be between 33-40. connect line and pressure should be between 23-30. all with the hopes of your vf signal around 2.5v.
i was trying to remember what the other problem was, and it just hit me....your fuel pressure guage is not sitting for 5 minutes after shut off of engine at least at 20 psi.
TSRM says "if pressure is not as specified, check the fuel pump, pressure regulator and/or injector.
you will need to check your injectors any way for ohms. page FI-82 in my tsrm. resistance should be 2.0-3.8ohms. to do this, pull the injector plugs off and touch the probes of the multimeter on the tabs in the injector.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
Thanks Noah for great info (ie. page numbers) on a FRIDAY! I'm gonna either go see Jim this weekend, or just borrow a good multimeter from our phone tech here at work. i had a tough time cranking it this morning with it cold at that low of a pressure. I added some fuel via the NEO to get it started. I hope it's not an injector problem, as they are brand new and have been flow tested.

Noah, I missed your call today when i was in the bank. I did get your text though. I'll call you if I can make it. I know the wife wants to go to dinner, and I gotta get my bills in order before I know if I can free up gas money to come over there for a couple of hours.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
I followed Noah's last post a good bit yesterday, and seemed to make a little more progress. I set my fuel pressure to 34 with the hose off and 28 with it back on. Then I tried again on the VF Signal. It held a reading pretty steady most of the time. I could actually add or take away fuel, and be prett close to estimating what the VF would be. But, when it should have taken it to 2.5 (the target), it would show 2.5 briefly, and then change to 3.5 every time. But I could change it back and get 2.21 or 2.78 every time.

The car seems to be running a good bit better now. It will accelerate at a close to normal rate, all the way to about 5000rpm. It does break up a little along the way, but nothing like before. Boost is noticeable, but not strong, and is limited to 6-7 lb-ish.

I cleared the codes, and drove it. The ones that came back are 43 and 51.

43......Starter Signal ........Probably caused by the ignition bypass I ran with a push button start. My wire was weak, so I bypassed it with a switch. I still have to have the key turned to start the car. I learned this through a search, but code 43 was never mentioned in that thread.

51 No......... IDL signal or A/C Switch issue ...........I suspect poor wiring here. I had to tap into the igniter wire to get a signal for my tach on the NEO. I found my A/C compressor had no plug on it's wire today, and cut a connector off of an old bad compressor to fix it today.

I'm getting confident that a new wiring harness and professional tuning is about all I need to get this thing right. Harness is coming soon, just another $200 to save. I believe these codes are causing the ECU to pull timing.

I actually got screamed at yesterday, when a hard launch got me my first wheelspin ever in the neighborhood. From now on, my testing will have to be done outside of the neighborhood.

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Weatherford, Texas, United States
That new harness should allow you to do away with that push button start!

So who screamed at you? Wife? Neighbor?

Oh also, yesterday I reread the first 15 or so pages of your thread and got a little misty eyed. You've brought that car so far from the shell it once was.:icon_bigg

Last edited:

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
gtsfirefighter;1004007 said:
So who screamed at you? Wife? Neighbor?

A woman in the neighborhood, far from my house. I sat at the stop sign for a good while and surveyed the situation for a minute before ever launching it. There was noone anywhere near where I did that, I was already on brakes and turning when she came out.

noah89t;1004660 said:
code 51 is so common. i'm not sure what the problem is, but my friend thomas thinks it has something to do with the buttons on the a/c control panel being pushed "on" while testing codes.

I tried it both ways Noah. I wondered that myself.

BIG UPDATE!

After getting my fuel pressure in a good spot yesterday, and playing with the fuel on the NEO a bit, I had a pretty good ride to work this morning. So, before I left for lunch, I clicked the boost controller up to the high boost setting. I was able to max out the stock boost gauge, and feel a good bit of power. I was SOOO EXCITED!!!!!! It's not perfect yet, but it made Major strides this weekend.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
It's still a little rough in the lower RPMs, so I put it back on low boost, and will not push it too much until I get it all smoothed out. I'm looking at buying a harness, taking a trip to Atlanta for a weekend Braves/REDS series, and tuning. I will most likely have my wideband and do some more self tuning before I go to the dyno. I want to have the harness before I go back to the dyno.

Noah, I will say it is not quite as slow as it was 2 weeks ago when you rode in it. It's not quite your car yet either.

noah89t

get naked & boost a supra
my car isn't quite "my car" either. i had my 550's checked again and found out 2 were leaking internally, 5 flowed within 5% of one another and one was flowing 14% higher than the next. so i told the guy to throw them away. it sucks to go from 21psi back down to 10-13ish, depending on when it hits fuel cut. all i can say is STOCK INJECTORS AND AFM SUCK!! when you have to go back to them for a while.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Well yes! I was putting money together to buy one from Jeff Watson, but I found one on here. Yawgmouth (I think) had one that he bought in 2005 brand new and he ran it for about a year before wrecking his car. I think for the savings it should be a great deal. I paid less than half the price of a new one. I just mailed the money order today. He had ran an SAFC on it, so it should properly guide me on my installation. I sometimes wonder if my Neo is hooked up entirely right. It bothers me that I have to tell it my car is a 2 cyl to get the tach to read right.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
noah89t;1025147 said:
yeah, that is definitely not right. glad you found one on here. let me know if you need some help pulling and installing them.

I can handle the swap, I just don't know if I can handle the wait! Maybe on this harness, I won't have so many repaired spots, and I can do a better job adding my 550 clips and hiding the joint in shrink tubing. Third time should be the charm.

Maybe by the time the harness gets here and installed, my wideband will finally get here as well.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
I got a PM from Yawgmouth on Friday about my harness. I liked what he was trying to say, but a misspelling made it just a little concerning. He told me that he finally (my small town post office is slow) got my payment, and he would "shit" me my harness as soon as possible.