ForcedTorque's 3E5 has Arrived!!!!!

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
:yelrotflm

Too bad I missed out on your exhaust Noah. I'm going to see if I can fix my couple little exhaust leaks myself.

tookwik4u89

Red T-shirt
Apr 6, 2005
Rockford, IL
Things you need to do:

Make sure big ground cable is good to engine block.
Make sure you have 12v at terminal on starter where big pos cable is hooked up.
Check if you have 12v at small wire to starter solenoid when turning key.....or just jump 12v straight to that to crank it.

If you dont have 12 v at solenoid when turning key, prob still aftmkt or the factory security. you can pull the green relay in the right kick panel and jump a wire between two of the pins to bypass , then it should work with the key.

Reign_Maker

Has cheezberger
Aug 31, 2005
Florida
Is there somewhere or some site or some list or something that gives you a master check list before starting a new motor? I swear, with all these effin little ground wires and clips and tiny japan hand things you have to reach in and touch and plug and poke and wrench, who knows what you can miss... it would be great to have a big ass check list you could print up and just run down the car making sure everything is right before turning the key...

tookwik4u89

Red T-shirt
Apr 6, 2005
Rockford, IL
Reign_Maker said:
Is there somewhere or some site or some list or something that gives you a master check list before starting a new motor? I swear, with all these effin little ground wires and clips and tiny japan hand things you have to reach in and touch and plug and poke and wrench, who knows what you can miss... it would be great to have a big ass check list you could print up and just run down the car making sure everything is right before turning the key...
All you need is a flashlight and a mirror Jake;)

And pull the 15 amp EFI fuse and crank it over good a few times to get some oil pressure through everything.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
Reign_Maker said:

So, should I take from this..........that you are trying to crank your car????????????

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Minor progress. I got help from Ken and Jim to teach me how to usre my multimeter. I know, I'm a dumb ass, and yes, it took being told twice. I found that my battery is good, but my positive cable was not getting good contact. I fixed that, and now my new starter is doing the same thing the old one did. When I run the positive cable to the sylenoid (sp), it will click loudly, but not spin the motor over. I can't help but be scared of that. Tonight, I will test my starter cable off of the wiring harness.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
That sucks Scott. I know the starter is good but maybe it's in a bind or something. If you're hooking power straight to the starter then that means you're bypassing the starter relay I guess. I thought for sure it would work with direct power to the starter. Good luck.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Well, I know the motor turns, cause I can turn it by hand. Since my last post, I've started wondering if the thing may just be in gear. My shifter is still out, because I need to top off the gear oil before putting it in right. But the fornt end is raised, so if it's in gear, maybe it wouldn't even budge the car????????????? Both my starter and the one I got from Jay were known good starters, but both had sat for a little while.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
updates yet? I know this can't keep you from running very long. You'll find the answer soon. (crosses fingers)

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Now it's the weekend, maybe I can get something figured out. I'm gonna start by checking current thru the starter wire. From there, I'm gonna add my gear oil, and install the shifter, so I can be sure it's out of gear. If this doesn't work, I'm gonna bench test my starter out of the car. If it works out of the car, then I'll know something is in a bind.

On a sad note, the car that was brought to me for an engine install was hauled away last night. I didn't get to it quick enough for him. I really planned on buying that car. Anyone interested in a very nice looking Turbo 87 bright Red with a freshly rebuilt motor and perfect grey cloth interior for $2500 should contact me immediately. He has an offer on the body already. He plans to part out a lot of the perripheral motor parts and keep the fresh motor. I he got an offer for it whole, he would probably sell it. But, the motor will have to be installed.

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Weatherford, Texas, United States
ForcedTorque said:
Now it's the weekend, maybe I can get something figured out. I'm gonna start by checking current thru the starter wire. From there, I'm gonna add my gear oil, and install the shifter, so I can be sure it's out of gear. If this doesn't work, I'm gonna bench test my starter out of the car. If it works out of the car, then I'll know something is in a bind.

On a sad note, the car that was brought to me for an engine install was hauled away last night. I didn't get to it quick enough for him. I really planned on buying that car. Anyone interested in a very nice looking Turbo 87 bright Red with a freshly rebuilt motor and perfect grey cloth interior for $2500 should contact me immediately. He has an offer on the body already. He plans to part out a lot of the perripheral motor parts and keep the fresh motor. I he got an offer for it whole, he would probably sell it. But, the motor will have to be installed.

That really sux about the red 87. It even had a supermonitor right? Well I'll bet the wife is happy about that though. ;)