Facime's Mk2 build

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
WEEZ

I put a throwout bearing on from a 1990(ish) Toyota pickup, it includes the whole throwout bearing assembly, with clip(s) already in place.
0702432-1.jpg

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
yeah, thats a far better system right there. I only put on what came with my swap setup. I'll go with one of those Tanya thanks.

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
well lets see, including the automatic and pulling the trans from the donor car myself, Ive now dropped and replaced a trans 2.5 times in the last month, I would say Im qualified to do it one more time, lol.

The remaining clip is holding for now and seems to retract the TOB just fine, so Im gonna hold off until my wrist is feeling a bit better. Worst case scenario the other clip comes off and the TOB rests slightly in contact with the PP. Not gonna kill me to run it like that for a few weeks.

Pulling the trans messes up my schedule. I was planning on pulling and dying all the upholstry this week. I was also considering that since the 5M is going to have to be my motor for a while, I might pull it and do a freshen up. I have a few tiny oil leaks and want to do some work on the engine bay (including attending to the growing rust problem under the battery that is common on so many of these). I can deal with the TOB at that time.

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
YAY!

Ok, so Im just on fire today. I instinctively knew what was wrong with Jakes computer and today after fucking with my TPS since I got the car, and having bypassed the ISCV weeks ago, I finally fixed both issues today.

I broke down and despite not really wanting to get into it, I pulled the harness from the ECU and out through the firewall, unwrapped as far back as looked like had been messed with and started trying to figure out what was wrong. Long story short I discovered that there are two wires in the bundle that are blue with a red stripe. I thought..."I wonder if those two got cross spliced." Sure enough after checking with the ECU pinout and checking continuity at the TPS, the wires were indeed crossed. The other wire was from the ISCV, WHICH by the way was also giving me problems since day one.

Reversed the two and took her for a test drive. No more cutting out at WOT and the idle comes right dow to where it belongs after warm up. I now no longer have any codes finally, and I actually feel real good about the car. I did a WOT run in third to redline and it felt great, no smoke, didnt smell lean like it has been.

Yesterday I managed to massage some 4" speakers behind the grills on the lower dash. I also moved my 6's from the rear mounts (which they didnt fit in of course as stock is 5x7 (or 4x6?) to the rear side panels. I didnt really want to cut holes there but I knew the speakers would sound good there, and its one of the only places you can flush mount speakers that size. I plan to make some fibergalss buckets to go behind them and make them seals enclosures for tighter responce.

This let me put my speaker covers back in the back and put my privacy shade back in. That paves the way for me to put a sub back there and I plan to do something similiar as I did to Lucy, a single 10 in a sealed box. Im going to try to keep my spare tire this time though.

Currently the only thing on the car not working perfectly is the A/C. I believe the previous owner used the compressor from the JDM motor, which sucks because I have a sticker under the hood that documents an r134a conversion back in '98, however the connections on the car are all r12 :( . So, Im going to start researching the conversion. I want to do it right and not do an autozone deathkit, but I cant afford to take it to a shop. Also, since I plan a motor swap down the road I am trying NOt to spend anything on this motor.

A/C here in the Willamette Valley is not required. I can easily live without it, but since the car is equipped with it, I want it to work properly, but I may just wait until after I swap the motor.

Thats all for my weekly update.

Kckazdude

Mar 16, 2007
Memphis, TN
Great news on the idle/WOT issue. Glad it wasnt anything more serious than it was.

For your sound system, instead of keeping the spare, check into the Slime Smart Spair™. Contains a bottle of Slime tire sealant and an air compressor. Easily fits in the jack compartment. Will fix all but the gashes in tires. Same thing Corvettes have been using for a spare tire for a few years now.

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
hey Thanks man! I appreciate the comments guys!

small update: motor detail, cam cover paint/polish

DSCF2221.JPG

DSCF2227.JPG

Pictures dont really do it justice. :nono: