Facime's Mk2 build

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
Congrats on the quick work! I know it has to drive so much better with a good tranny on a good mount.

On a side note......I think I have your jack's long lost cousin. Mine won't hold long, and is getting to where it won't lift as high as it used to as well. I went home and jacked my car up at lunch, so I didn't have to do that tonight when I work on the car. It barely got the car up high enough that I could get a jackstand under one side. I tried to let it down to the jack stand, and the stand fell over, while the jack couldn't be stopped from going all the way down. Needless to say, I don't work under my car without that jack and 2 jackstands with 2 smaller jacks as back up. I can hear the big jack losing a little bit constantly.

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
gtsfirefighter;1062504 said:
Are you a man or machine? Damn. It would have taken me weeks to do what you have done so far.
If I keep up this pace Im gonna need machines to keep me alive. :biglaugh:

Like was said in Scott's thread, I have been blessed with good weather to work in and that makes a difference. I know what its like to work in the heat, I spent last summer in Houston remember? I dont work fast, but I work steady and can just keep going.

promised pics:
DSCF2160.jpg

DSCF2161.JPG

DSCF2158.JPG

DSCF2159.JPG

DSCF2164.JPG

Last edited:

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Weatherford, Texas, United States
Ouch!

I have to use vice grips to hold both the hatch and hood up. Hood shock replacements cheap and easy but I've been lazy. The hatch will be a major bitch.

I don't know that I'd even be brave enough to try and drop my transmission. I'd almost rather pull the engine and tranny together. I'm still torn on whether to do a 5-speed swap or keep my automatic.

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
ForcedTorque;1062529 said:
Is that from just the socket, or did it have a ratchet attached?

Just a socket! it was a 14mm deep socket I was trying to get the top nut on the starter at the time. But I had Viv up in the air pretty good at the time so it fell from almost a full arms length. It also caught me at the worst possible spot, that part right at the outside edge of your eye that has nothing but skin over bone with no muscle or fat underneath. :aigo: :eek:wned:

Laundry list of what still needs to be done:

• One headlight is dimmer than the other, diag and repair.
  • Still showing a code 41, need to trace one last wire.
  • Still running lean, going to mod the AFM to richen up.
  • test and/or replace fuel pump filter and regulator
  • stereo needs a proper mount, will order the parts this week.
  • need to locate and install a fan shroud.
  • need to locate and install a manual trans gauge cluster.
  • A/C needs to be leak checked and filled.
  • Heater controls not switching VSV for temp diaphram.
  • rear speakers too big for the mount, need to find smaller pair
  • seat upholstery needs to be removed, cleaned and dyed.
  • Wheels will be polished faces with gunmetal between.
  • Paint front bumper back to stock black.
  • repaint cam covers and polish the raised portions
  • fartcan needs to be replaced with a magnaflow.
After those things are done I will consider the restoration part of the car done, and can proceed to modifications. I plan to go with ST springs all around and aftermarket sway bars. I want to convert to 5 lug hubs and find some nice 16" wheels. Bigger brakes will go along with the bigger wheels.

I havent decided what to do about drivetrain just yet. Originally I had planned a JZ swap but now Im not so sure. Im seriously now considering doing a turbo conversion on a 6M. All along I had the intension of not trying to go too radical on the powerplant. Stock 1JZ was going to be plenty of power for my needs. I want to retain at least a reasonable fuel mileage. Staying 5/6M will retain the look under the hood that I like so much about the mk2. Going turbo will give me the kick that I want. Also the more mk2's I see the more 1Jz swaps Im finding. Not many people sport the 6MGTE. I like the uniqueness factor involved.

ForcedTorque;1062529 said:
That's a rare MKII photo. I see no rust, and no SupraSticks, with both hood and hatch raised
I replaced the hood ones on the first day I had it. I figured I would have the hood up ALOT...lol.

Kckazdude

Mar 16, 2007
Memphis, TN
Damn you are making fast progress with this car. That spot looked like you did a 'Jesus roll' of biblical proportions. You keep this pace going and it will all be completed this summer.

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
Weez should drive my car to decide whether he wants the torque or not :)

When I have people in turbo mk2s telling me they're having a hard time catching my car, then that's just the extra kick for me that I don't need no stinkin' hairdryer.

My car goes to the track next Wednesday, so we'll see how she do.

Great progress Weez, automatics are da debbil!

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
Ohh yeah dont get me wrong Tanya, right now Im loving how Vivien feels. I know its not anywhere near as fast as Lucy was at the end but it feels so good through the first 3 gears. 4.10 gears help that Im sure. And I loved my first mk3 which was N/A. Maybe I'll go ITB's :naughty:. For now its just fine the way it is. I wont be doing anything to it until after it goes from DD status to toy.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
The 5 lug conversion is gonna be a pain...

There are a few different choices of wheels for the MKII, and aren't too expensive either. Once you get out of the goofy tire size that nobody makes performance tires for it will probably be a lot nicer to drive.

The other issue is going with a BBK with the 5 lug conversion...

The magnaflow muffler will be loud if the piping is straight...my bro's car has that setup.

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
I have a 2.5" in, dual out Magnaflow muffler with 2.5" exhaust, stock cat, and my exhaust is pretty quiet. At some certain lower rpms it has a nice deep hum to it, but sounds pretty vicious after 4500rpm or so. Sometimes it actually sounds louder decelerating than accelerating

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
That's what my bro's car has...

His car is way louder than my 3" turbo back with a high flow cat and the same muffler (but modified for a larger inlet by Raptor Racing).

My car is nearly silent at idle while his is loud and raspy...

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
Actually other than the fact that this can got flattened on the bottom and it has a rediculous 4" ring around whats actually 2" out, this muffler isnt bad at all. Its not at all ricey sounding. Im gonna live with it for now.

Well I got tired of fighting the high idle issue and made some changes. When I had the automatic the torque converter would hold the idle down to a reasonable level at stop lights. Now with the 5spd, I was idling at 1500-1800 at times. I decided after reading a few posts about it to disconnect and block off the ISCV and set the idle with the air bypass screw. I idle perfectly smooth at 700-800 and car starts first try even when cold. Im going to go with this for a while while I continue to restore and replace parts.

I got a proper battery tray and hold down bracket today and installed that. I also managed to find a pocket blank for the stereo opening at the boneyard and some mounting brackets Im going to try to adapt to my head unit. I also found a replacement left rear speaker cover as mine was cracked and missing part of the holder for the sun shade.

I also picked up a green truck bushing and lower cap bushing for my sloppy shifter, and installed them. Shifter no longer feels like a row boat.

Finally I got and installed a new exhaust manifold gasket, as I had a bad leak at the #1 port. I was pleased to find all the studs were solidly installed in the head and didnt strip when torqued to spec.

It was hot out today so thats all I managed to acomplish, but I went for a nice drive and just enjoyed how good Vivien feels right now. Motor is smooth, clutch is tight, exhaust note is great when blipping the throttle for downshifts, and she turns in predictably to corners. Only thing missing now is a good sound system (which Im working on).

I think maybe I will take a trip up Mary's Peak tomorrow :naughty:

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
OK so my first mechanical problem after doing my 5spd swap popped up today. I was accelerating through a couple gears and then hear this high pitched tinny rattle from under the car. Sounded a little like some tin foil flapping or a ....

...or a bolt rattling around in the bellhousing? It might be one of the throwout bearing retainer clips (those didnt seem to fit very well in the first place). Its kind of wierd because it doesnt happen at low RPM but once I reach a certain range, it kind of breaks loose and starts rattling around in there.

Im going to get it up on stands tomorrow and pull the inspection cover and see if I can find anything. I think the clearence is pretty tight between the flywheel and bellhousing though. Either way, I guess that means I have to drop the trans all over again, not something I look forward to :(

Kckazdude

Mar 16, 2007
Memphis, TN
Have a look at all the heat sheilds before you get too far into the tranny. I have heard heat sheilds make some very disturbing noises.

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
Pulled the inspection cover on the clutch, just as I suspected...

DSCF2167.JPG

it WAS the clip that holds the throwout bearing to the fork. So this weekend I gotta drop the trans to put a new clip on :nono:

Last edited:

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
was working perfectly too. Im going to be modifying it somehow to make sure it doesnt happen again. Maybe weld the tabs to the fork? Not sure, but I find it really irritating to have to pull the trans all over again for one stupid clip.