Facime's Mk2 build

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
I know how to do water injection for "steam cleaning" the carbon. I will get to that here soon. I have NO vacuum leaks. As I said its running just way too damn good to be sucking air somewhere. I checked all the vac lines they are in excellent shape for original hoses. no leaks around the intake. I think its just the O2, but like I said Im going to do some other stuff to the fuel system here once I have other stuff out of the way (the 5spd swap is now my main priority)

I cant see the stamping on the block for 5m/6m, but it has the 5m plenum (says EFI as opposed to 3000), and I dont think these guys who put the motor in swapped it.

Other than the trans needing to be manually shifted and the wierd wheel hop off the line Scarlett is running fantastic, and looking good too! I already feel very confident in her and would take her on a road trip tomorrow. I hope to have the 5spd swap done by this time next week.

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
theWeezL;1053619 said:
I cant see the stamping on the block for 5m/6m, but it has the 5m plenum (says EFI as opposed to 3000), and I dont think these guys who put the motor in swapped it.

Nice looking pics Weez! She shines up pretty nice. Just that front bumper that kills it for me. And lol @ noobtacular.

At any rate, most 6M cars here don't have the 3000 plenum either bc of emissions purposes or the engine just didn't come with it. It probably is just a 5M, but don't assume it couldn't be a 6M without that silly intake.

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
Tanya;1053957 said:
Just that front bumper that kills it for me.

Yeah, I had planned to have it painted professionally. I was going to do the whole nose including the header panel which is terribly pitted, but the night I fixed the bad flex plate I came inside to a dead computer monitor. I had to spend the $200 I had for painting on a replacement :(

I will get it done, its just low on the priority list right now.

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
OK, so I found a guy in town with a 5spd parts car...called him on Weds. and his phone was disconnected...have to wait till tomorrow until I see him again. Maybe sunday or early next week can actually get going on the swap.

And today it hit me...I came up with an appropriate name for my car. From here on out she will be known as "Vivien". I had been calling her Scarlett but that was just tooooo obvious with the color of the car. So I thought of Scarlett O'Hara who was played by Vivien Lee...thus Vivien sounded good. I also thought the car is blood red and was trying to think of good vampiress names and Vivien fits. So now you know.........

.....the REST of the story.

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
I got a new TPS and spent some time adjusting it perfect. I got it within spec but I still throw a code 41. Its must be in the wiring and with the botch job by the previous owner...who knows where to start. I already traced 3 of the 3 wires back the ECU for continuity and they were good. The blue wire with the red stripe which apparently connects in with the same color wire coming from the air flow meter and goes to the ECU seems to be the problem but because the wires are on two different harnesses, Im kinda stuck. The car runs pretty good even with the code, so Im gonna put it on the back burner for now.

I found out what that horribly decayed plug was for. Its part of the ECT system. I spliced the new connector in but it wont matter here real soon because....

Look what I got!

DSCF2157.JPG

I really lucked out 'cause I didnt have to drive to Seattle to get it all and on top of it, the clutch that came with it has no more than 100 miles on it. I cleaned and painted stuff today in prep. I start first thing tomorrow putting it all in. Another long day doing a transmission by myself. Im still hurtin from the last one. I have this really sore wrist that I cant turn very far without shooting pains but Im gonna gut it out to get a manual trans back under me.

Last edited:

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
supposed to get hot as the week goes on, but has been a perfect high 70's low 80's around here. :D In the garage its almost chilly until noonish.

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
Well it was a brilliant day with mild temps and sunny skies. Not that I spent much time under them as I was in the garage all day. Got the nasty old automatic out. Managed to do it this time without looking like I murdered someone under the car (drain plug on trans pan ftw). I put on the nearly fresh flywheel and clutch parts. Managed to lose one of the little throwout bearing retainer clips, but my local dealer had it sooo...

I was nursing a sore wrist all day but managed to slip the "new to me" W58 into place behind the clutch with the help of a shitty floor jack that doesnt hold pressure for very long. Bolting up the starter I managed to drop the socket with my face underneath it. Caught me in the corner of the eye and split it open, gave me a little black eye too. But that was the worst that happened all day.

Things really went well and I was prepared for the few little challanges that a auto->manual swap entails. Got everything back together and took a little drive...

WOW, what a difference. First of all my wheel hop is gone. I think it might have been the fact that my trans mount was completely separated into two pieces. Also the new drive shaft had a slightly better carrier bearing. I also had either a bad torque converter or faulty electronics because I noticed the converter wouldnt lock up quite right. always seemed to be wasting too much power. The 5spd just made a whole new animal out of Vivien.

She should be alot funner to drive now. I have very few things left to do to make her ready for the rest of the summer. I only took a couple of pics today, I'll load em tomorrow.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Wear safety glasses!

My glasses are made out of the same thing, and my old glasses saved be from serious injury (deep nick in the lense, could have been my eye)

Now you can sell the auto to make back some of the money, right?

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
If I told you how much I paid for the complete 5spd setup it would make you sick. Finding mk2 parts is kind of a pain, but they are still pretty cheap when you do. (I paid less than the temperature in California yesterday) :naughty: I doubt I can get anything for the auto stuff as there was something not quite right with the trans to begin with.

Normally I do wear safety glasses when working, but I wasnt at the time for some reason or another.