Doward's 375rwhp Build.

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
I'm thinking of snagging a 120amp MR2 alternator instead of reusing this one :D We'll see! I probably should pick it up though :biglaugh:

Jaguar_5

It's ALIVE!
Feb 7, 2006
Seattle
Wow! You did a fantastic job cleaning up that bay Doward!

You've inspired me to do the same, got any tips? How exactly did you get under that tray? Limber fingers and sandpaper? What grit did you start at, around 130 is what I'm thinking.

Jaguar_5

It's ALIVE!
Feb 7, 2006
Seattle
Well I've got a small sandblaster I could try, plus I get some Por-15 which says i don't even need to remove any rust for it to work & stop the corrosion!

I'm just hoping it's not too thick to use in my spraygun, it would suck to have to hand-brush it

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Whew! Bloody fucking HOT out the past two days here in Florida. 93 degrees out right now - @ 6:15pm I'm pretty sure it tipped over 100 this afternoon :(

Anyway, Supra's in the shade, and it's sunny with no much wind out - time to get to work!

First, removed the bumper cover. Found rust in the main bumper support, so I wire-wheeled it clean, wiped it all down, hit it with some self-etching primer. Let that dry about 30-40 minutes, and hit it with a flat black Rustoleum. I'll add the pic here later (after I run out of sunlight, lol)

bumpersupport.JPG

The bumper cover is going to get stripped down tomorrow, and hit with a grey flexible primer. I'll be bringing it down to get repainted (with the upper nose piece) a little later in the week :)

Now, the upper nose piece I have (and the metal piece behind it) is off an '89 - I'm hoping it'll bolt up with no problems :) Also, that removes my headlight cleaners - which will be getting redone anyway, as an intercooler sprayer (using the stock headlight cleaner switch)

Currently, I've removed the windshield wiper motor (it never really ran all that good anyway) and the heater control valve. I've got everything removed from the passanger side of the engine bay - so I'm going to scrub it down one more time with some dish detergent, dry it well, and shoot that side in the flat black Rustoleum primer.

wipermotor.JPG

Time to get back to work! I'll upload pics later tonight, after I run completely out of daylight. Might even show some pics of the present that the old man in the big white (FedEx) van dropped off today ;)

*EDIT* Well, now it's raining. :3d_frown: I guess I'm stopping for today. I'll finish the engine bay tomorrow.

Tomorrow's goals:

1) Finish painting the engine bay in flat black
2) Figure out how to remove the damn A/C lines from the firewall:3d_frown:
3) Remove the Rack and Pinion - I have a new one waiting to go in :D
4) Clean as much of the front subframe as I can
5) Strip both upper and lower nose pieces, and get them set up in primer

I'll probably leave the upper and lower nose pieces off the vehicle, until I get the motor done and back into the car.

That's all for now folks!
John

Supraholics

.928 RWHP & Climing!
Apr 1, 2006
PA
www.supraholics.com
Looking good. You won't regret taking the wires out. Especially if you're thinking about relocating, replacing the worn out tape, etc. I just put ALL the wiring for inside the cabin and outside back in place in about 1 1/2 hours. That's ALL the wires the entire car has (heavy let me tell ya). Taking into considaration that I'm being careful not to scratch my paint. What I did was label the ends of the harness so that I knew where the plugs go. Saves a lot of time.

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Definitely something I want to do - I don't like all those plastic... things, that toyota used stock and just sort of 'taped' the wiring to it. I thought that was really rather cheesy of them, considering how classy this vehicle is ;)

I'm going to try to replace all my front bushings while the motor is out, as well :)

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Engine bay before:
begin.JPG

Engine bay after:
baydone.JPG

Not bad for 2 rattle cans of some flat black Rustoleum ;) Stripping the front bumper will be next. :D

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
How's the quality of the manifold John? Does the 2 piece DP look Like it will fit without any mods? Was it cleanly welded on the inside (no little bits sticking out)?

Engine bay's looking nice!

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Looks pretty good, actually. I mean, for the price, I'm not expecting much ;)

I SERIOUSLY doubt the stock oil filter setup will work on it.

Wastegate placement requires relocation of charcoal canister.

#6 runner is between 1/8-1/4" off from the hole, but it's ground so that it's a smooth transition.

All the welds (inside) have been ground down, no slag that I can see at all. I suppose I could get more pics later - for now, I want to build my oil lines before removing it all again :)

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
It's just slightly off from the hole in the flange. I informed the guy I bought it from - hopefully, it will be fixed in future revisions ;)

I'll get pics at some point of it :D

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
I may consider changing my approach as far as turbos go in my supra. Depending on the issue you'll have with yours, I may go with this design rather than the older style off of ebay.