Doward's 375rwhp Build.

TobyCat

Jul 14, 2006
Vancouver BC
Lookin good Doward. I'd think that the LED's should be fine under the hood, especially if you're just looking at wiring up an under hood lamp. There are lots of plastic things on our motors ;)

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Toby - that's only if it's high temp plastic, though? I'm going to play with it more after I get these other LEDs in (and see how bright they are)

Piratetip - I learned when driving a stick, that if I am stopped, then I am in neutral. It's DEEPLY ingrained in me, so I can't see that being a problem ;)

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
Then let it be known, Doward shall never leave his vehicle in gear while remote starting.

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Damn right! :D

LEDs should be arriving tomorrow, so I'll start working on some of the interior work.

Damn I love Summit - convoluted tubing kit arrives tomorrow, as well! I'll be busy as hell tomorrow afternoon though, so it may be Friday evening/weekend before I get any real updates.

List of things to accomplish this weekend:

1) Finish cleaning up and mounting the body harness wiring.
2) Begin mounting up all the relays, resistors, fuse block, etc
3) Remove stock gauge cluster
4) Begin replacing bulbs with LEDs all over the car :cool: I'll have to be sure to have the body harness wiring done first, so that I can run juice to the lights and show them off :D
5) Any extra time I have, will be spent sanding down the front bumper cover, to get it ready to paint.

Slowly but surely. The Supra's engine bay already looks 1000x better, imho - cleaning up all the wiring and such is sure to help!

I still need to decide if I want to go aluminum radiator or not ;)

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
YES! Blue convoluted tubing came in yesterday - forgot to snag a picture, though. It looks like homo blue on the website, but in reality, it's a nice dark blue!

Blue/Grey is going to be my underhood scheme :D

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
A little care, a lot of time, some fluorescent orange model paint, and this is what you get:

gauge1.JPG

gauge2.JPG

gauge3.JPG

I'm very pleased with how it came out! I tested the bulbs the best I could (some of the paths on the circuit of the dash cluster are not very well marked as to what is + and what is -) but the real question will be how does it look once the cluster is back in?

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
I'm planning on using my 1/2" female NPT flange, to either a -10an or -12an, then down to either a -10an or -12an bulkhead fitting (gonna drill the pan, since it's all out) like this one - http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=SUM-220282B

I know it says it's for a fuel cell, but I somehow doubt there would be a problem with it being used in the oil pan ;)

The thing of it is, I have the -10an stuff already here. I may go with the -12an anyway, just to be sure of zero problems.

Ian, where does the GrpA pan locate the oil drain at?

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Hmm... I'm actually thinking my oil return line will be further forward than that!

Here's the pic:

oilreturn.JPG

Blue is stock oil cooler dump, red is where my bulkhead fitting would be.

Yeah, I have to buy the fittings either way - I may as well go with the -12 an :)

*edit* BTW - Ian, any experience with red loctite in the oil pan region? I'm thinking that I'll put one teflon washer on each side of the oil pan, and loctite the bulkhead nut in place, to ensure it doesn't work loose - I don't want to have to drop that pan because of something like that!

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Sweet! I guess Toyota knew what they were doing, after all ;)

You know, I know when I started I said I wasn't going to go crazy on this rebuild, but... I can't help but compare the stock oil pan to that GrpA pan and think to myself - there is room for improvement here!

Seems the 'box' surrounding the sump and the oil pump pickup, would prevent oil from completely sloshing out when under hard corners...

Does that sump kick out on both sides?