Dok's E85 powered 2jzge-T build

hottscennessey

DONT BE A BITCH!
Jun 3, 2005
Richmond, VA
I know it's a long shot but try another ECU?

Edit: and also make sure that the wire isn't grounding out anywhere.. I know you made sure you had continuity, but did you make sure you didn't have continuity when unplugged?

jmcboost

Mar 31, 2005
Missouri
Is there a good way to test the knock sensors to make sure they are good? I kind of doubt that they are bad if all of them are doing the same thing. Good luck!!!

dok33

My fuel pump precedes me
Apr 16, 2005
Austin, TX
www.cardomain.com
Still no dice dammit. Next step is to try both 2j sensors with both ECUs.

JMC-the only thing the tsrm says is that there shouldn't be continuity between the sensor wire and body.

jmcboost

Mar 31, 2005
Missouri
If you end up needing some more 2J knock sensors, let me know. I have mine that I am not going to use right now. Atleast you could try them and see what happens.

XofXtimeX

Clean 2JZ
Feb 25, 2006
Arlington, TX
What kind of wiring did you do to the knock sensors. Getting me worried about my issue...

I had to extend the wires and I didn't know they were sleeved so I peeled back the sleeving and connected the actual wire but now I'm getting worried...

I hope swapping the sensors works man! (Crossing fingers)

-Nick-

dok33

My fuel pump precedes me
Apr 16, 2005
Austin, TX
www.cardomain.com
I bought a kit from Shaeff at first but I think I may have melted it internally when my heater hose blew on me. The next go round I used RCA cable but I'm afraid it might have broken when I was installing it as the center conductor was really thin on one of them.

Tested the sensors last night and they seem to be working fine, going to pick up some coax cable today at Fry's and make yet another harness with the 2j clips on it. I'm getting good at this lol

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Let me know what you find. I guarantee my work, so keep that in mind. :) Also, I cant see the blown heater hose melting the harness wires... I will talk to you tomorrow when i actually have a computer instead of a cell phone.

dok33

My fuel pump precedes me
Apr 16, 2005
Austin, TX
www.cardomain.com
NO MORE CODE 52!!!!

Picked up some 50ohm coaxial net cable and wired the 2j clips into it and viola! Car is still running a little funky and I heard some faint pinging at part throttle near the onset of boost, not sure what that is but hopefully the ECU is still adjusting or something. It's also throwing a code 51 (no CEL though) that I need to investigate. Getting closer...

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
was your A/C switch on when you checked the codes? Could be your TPS otherwise (as Im sure you already know since Im sure you looked up the code ;))

congrats on getting one step closer.

dok33

My fuel pump precedes me
Apr 16, 2005
Austin, TX
www.cardomain.com
A/C was off, TPS was what I was thinkin since it's the 2j one and I didn't adjust it during the swap (stayed on the TB). Trying to figure out how to adjust it, I'm guessing I should use the 7M procedure since it's the 7M ECU that's looking at it.

dok33

My fuel pump precedes me
Apr 16, 2005
Austin, TX
www.cardomain.com
Code 51 is gone, think I had it in gear before. No codes but I've definitely got some pinging at part throttle and it's still going rich as crap (9-10:1) under boost. Got the parts to make a boost leak tester, might explain the rich runnin. Not sure about the pinging unless I got a bad tank of gas or something, it wasn't there before but I guess with the code 52 the ecu may have been pulling timing...

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Good luck getting these codes figured out. Sometimes it can be a trial and error and a real pain in the ass to track down the reasons for them. I'm sure you'll get them worked ou though.

Are you hearing the pinging or do you have some way of detecting it with electronics? Just curious as to how bad it is.

dok33

My fuel pump precedes me
Apr 16, 2005
Austin, TX
www.cardomain.com
Codes are gone, drove around quite a bit tonight and nothing came up. I can hear the pinging, it's only at part throttle (vac or boost), it goes away under boost probably because of the super rich afr. Checked the timing too, 10deg BTDC with the test conn jumpered so I should be there too

dok33

My fuel pump precedes me
Apr 16, 2005
Austin, TX
www.cardomain.com
Code 52 came back today on the way to lunch. Pulled the EFI fuse and it didn't come back after the codes were reset. Still balls rich under WOT, going to test for boost leaks tonight...

dok33

My fuel pump precedes me
Apr 16, 2005
Austin, TX
www.cardomain.com
Be out of town every weekend until probably the 23rd and am working on another project so I have no idea when I'll get to mess with the Supra again...

On the plus side it's not really anything related to the swap, same crap would happen on a 7M so you guys don't have anything to worry about :)