Dok's E85 powered 2jzge-T build

dok33

My fuel pump precedes me
Apr 16, 2005
Austin, TX
www.cardomain.com
Got the exhaust all welded up today, decided to just take it somewhere instead of fighting with my HF Fluxcore all weekend. Little more than I wanted to pay but it's done...

Still no headway on the ignition breakup, runs great when it's cool but still breaks up in boost when the car is warm. My alternator went out earlier today, thought that might be it (not enough power) but I swapped another one in and it's still happening. Still haven't gotten around to pulling the plugs but am planning on it tomorrow (fun!). Also going to wire up the wideband to make sure nothing funky is going on fuel-wise.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
have you checked the coilpacks for cracks? They are known for this. You can wrap them with electrical tape and it will help some until you can get some new or newer ones. Hopefully it's just a fouled out plug. I would definately gap them to .025-.028 depending on which one it ran best at. What plugs are you running?

dok33

My fuel pump precedes me
Apr 16, 2005
Austin, TX
www.cardomain.com
Coil packs are uncracked, I was fortunate enough to find a set at a JY to replace the cracked ones that were on the car.

I'm running the NGK BKR7E plugs from Driftmotion, got another set too in case they're fouled. Keep the ideas comin' and I'll keep you guys posted.

dok33

My fuel pump precedes me
Apr 16, 2005
Austin, TX
www.cardomain.com
North America Railroad Publishing Service? :biglaugh:

Also remembered that the car was backfiring a little on the way home, especially off throttle. Could partially be from my BOV that I haven't bothered to recirc. yet, might be running rich too

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
Running too rich can also cause high rpm breakup. "blowing the spark out" is the term Ive heard used. After I finished my rebuild I had way too much fuel pressure and a poor SAFC tune that did that.​

dok33

My fuel pump precedes me
Apr 16, 2005
Austin, TX
www.cardomain.com
I've got the FP on the Aeromotive set at 30psi w/the vac line on (jumps to about 40 with it off), everything else fuel-wise is stock but I was thinking that maybe the fouled plugs could be not burning all the fuel off...

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
dok33;1038359 said:
I've got the FP on the Aeromotive set at 30psi w/the vac line on (jumps to about 40 with it off), everything else fuel-wise is stock but I was thinking that maybe the fouled plugs could be not burning all the fuel off...

Personally I don't think that is it.

the break up is happening on top, Fouled plugs would be everywhere :) You sure you have the coil pack grounded good?

stock TCCS no piggy back or standalone?

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
dok33;1038365 said:
Yup stock TCCS. I cut down the stock coilpack bracket and bolted it to the firewall, guess I could run a ground wire to it too. Keep the ideas comin :)

I would definelty do that. It should "QUIET" down the mis-fire by alot. Just for the sake of good torubleshooting, run the ground directly to the battery if you can. That way the coil packs have a nice, clean, healthy ground to send all that energy through :)

dok33

My fuel pump precedes me
Apr 16, 2005
Austin, TX
www.cardomain.com
Poodles;1038489 said:
Better ignitor ground won't hurt either...

Any boost leaks?

We ran a new ground from the ignitor when we did all the wiring. All of the couplers look good, only other potential leak point is the BOV so recirc'ing it may help since I'd at least not be losing metered air...

dok33

My fuel pump precedes me
Apr 16, 2005
Austin, TX
www.cardomain.com
Ran a ground wire from the battery to one of the screws on one of the coils, gonna test it out later on and see if it helped. Also changed the oil, getting to the filter is a b!tch!!

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
I took all the coils off the mount and cleaned everything really well. They get their ground from where they bolt onto, and they like to tarnish...

dok33

My fuel pump precedes me
Apr 16, 2005
Austin, TX
www.cardomain.com
The ground wire did it, Figgie FTMFW!!

Jon and I rolled up to the local meetup tonight, nice to finally have something to show :) There was a kid in an MKIII hanging out with the ricer Cavaliers and Tiburons (neons and lambo doors), gotta get him away from those guys lol.

Did some cruising, up to 125 miles with no issues yet other than the ignition problem :D

dok33

My fuel pump precedes me
Apr 16, 2005
Austin, TX
www.cardomain.com
You just don't appreciate the custom JDM rocker seat. It adds to the overall passenger experience by making it feel like you're getting pushed back in the seat :biglaugh:

At least my axles don't click :icon_razz