Costs in 7mgte vs 2jzgte

tubbie

Yes, powerful Jedi....
Apr 4, 2005
Hoschton, GA
Cost, Since your going into an MK2, you will neeed everything.
7MGTE
blown 7m engine - $500
New forged pistons and rings - $500
Bearings - $100
Block machine work - $350
Rebuilt head (stock) - $450
Metal HG - $120
ARP studs - $100
ARP rod bolts - $50
Harnness - $150
ECU - $75
Misc - $1000

Total = $3400

2JZGTE
engine - $2500
No rebuild needed (since lots of people believe it is bullet proof)
Harness - $300
ECU - $200
1J tranny bell housing - $200
MISC - $1000

Total = $4200

All performance parts are virtually the same in price, so you can add the cost on top of this for both engines to whatever HP you desire.

That's just a rough estimate. In the end, you will probably spend a lot more.

Just my 34 cents.......

MRSUPRA

Apr 11, 2005
Maryland
"The current record is 1018rwhp on a stock block 2j, and just in case there is any question as to my preferance in motors 2j FTW"

Yeah thats pretty incredible. But any one who knows anything about those motors will tell you that you are pushing your luck above 750rwhp. Of coarse a 3.0 liter motor at that power level is nothing but a racegas thirsty, un-street freindly lagmonster.

p5150

ASE and FAA A&P Certified
Mar 31, 2005
Central Idaho
D

drumminforev

1988SupraDreams said:
I personally like all three engines. What I have is a 7M, And in this car, I wanna keep it a 7M because
#1 I live in California, so it's can be legalized putting a turbo 7M into my NA chassis, so I can DD it here in Pigville.
#2 Less work, as I am neither Rich or Mechanically inclined enough to go 1J or 2J
I seriously wouldn't mind slapping a 1J in a P-Type MkII though.
And I will always be jealous of my friends MkIV, because I like Supras, Wether they're 7m, 2j, 1j, 1g, or whatever. As long as it's a Toyota motor :biglaugh:
What it all comes down to is what YOU want. The owner will decide the fate of the engine and the car. Period.

What, you wouldnt mind "slapping in a 1j", even tho the exact same amount of work is required to make a 1j mount as a 2j, mounts wires, driveshaft....

The Reaper

Single, and lovin' it!!
Jan 10, 2006
Florida
haven't any of you people heard of a CUSTOM exhaust??? i did a full 3inch exhaust from the turbo elbow back for a whopping 150 bucks....whew thats A LOT cheaper than 500 minimum and works the same as a 1000 dollar exhaust. and its not just a cat back!!!! 500+ is rediculous for half of an exhaust!!!

and Jesus has been pushing 1000whp on his Stock Internaled MKIV for well over 2 years now no problems. and just cause it makes 1000whp doesn't mean its ALWAYS unstreetable and racegas thirsty theres a nifty thing called a boost controller to turn it down and yur not WOT 24/7 when yur driving.

oh and by the way Jesus drives his car with A/C everywhere he goes runs crazy times at the track and beats people on the street and drives home listening to the radio in the A/C......

not streetable???? thats a retarded statement....

i got a 1J getting ready to go in but im all for the 2J

89_turborunner

Oct 1, 2006
Oregon
Doward said:
Jesus? Is this the same Jesus got that beat by Willie's Mustang?

Let's say someone wants a turbo I-6 from toyota. And he is me... like he is.

He buys a rear-ended supra for $1300. Parts out a lot for around $600, and now has a $700 angine, tranny, and cool seats. Then he spends $700 on parts and machine work to attain a "new" bottom end, and a properly installed MLS head gasket.

So now I have a basically new inline 6 turbo (that will make 400hp with a REALLY cheap turbo, light fuel mods, and an AFM. I also have the tranny, all the electronics, and some seats.

This isn't a 1J or 2J bashing. Just a bit of info on how cheap you can get a 7M ready to go.

p5150

Mar 31, 2005
Central Idaho
Let's say someone wants a turbo I-6 from toyota. And he is me... like he is.

He buys a rear-ended supra for $1300. Parts out a lot for around $600, and now has a $700 angine, tranny, and cool seats. Then he spends $700 on parts and machine work to attain a "new" bottom end, and a properly installed MLS head gasket.

How are you going to get a "new" bottom end with a head gasket for $700?

Head bolts - 80
mls gasket - 120
rod bolts - 60
gasket kit - 100

And thats a bare minimum assuming that EVERYTHING is in PERFECT condition. So you can get all of your machine work done for $340? I guess if you are putting it all together thats reasonable.

I think your estimate is a quite a bit low, but I am willing to talk about it - dont take this like an insult or anything.

So now I have a basically new inline 6 turbo (that will make 400hp with a REALLY cheap turbo, light fuel mods, and an AFM. I also have the tranny, all the electronics, and some seats.

This isn't a 1J or 2J bashing. Just a bit of info on how cheap you can get a 7M ready to go.

A used 7m should be capable of 400 without touching the bottom end....

89_turborunner

Oct 1, 2006
Oregon
p5150 said:
How are you going to get a "new" bottom end with a head gasket for $700?

Head bolts - 80
mls gasket - 120
rod bolts - 60
gasket kit - 100

And thats a bare minimum assuming that EVERYTHING is in PERFECT condition. So you can get all of your machine work done for $340? I guess if you are putting it all together thats reasonable.

A used 7m should be capable of 400 without touching the bottom end....

What a constructive way to discuss this. thanks for not being like many other silly people.

MLS gasket (cometic, 2.0) $170
ARP studs $119
Aisin Oil pump $145
Gasket set $71
Cometic bearings $77
Machine work (mill on head/block polish crank) $215

Oops. $797... 100 off

Everything was in perfect shape though. And I am reusing stock rod bolts

About not touching the bottom end- My car had 242k, and needed to have the block milled for a HG. and I was going to replace the oil pump, and all the gaskets. So the only thing I would be leaving out is new bottom end bearings.

89_turborunner

Oct 1, 2006
Oregon
89_turborunner said:
What a constructive way to discuss this. thanks for not being like many other silly people.

MLS gasket (cometic, 2.0) $170
ARP studs $119
Aisin Oil pump $145
Gasket set $71
Cometic bearings $77
Machine work (mill on head/block polish crank) $215

Oops. $797... 100 off

Everything was in perfect shape though. And I am reusing stock rod bolts

About not touching the bottom end- My car had 242k, and needed to have the block milled for a HG. and I was going to replace the oil pump, and all the gaskets. So the only thing I would be leaving out is new bottom end bearings.

Oh, and factory rings ($155). Now I am at $953. Is that a cheap rebuild?

JoeC

Banned
Jul 10, 2006
Vancouver, Washington
Talked to that guy, and he did say $350... but I really dont feel comfortable with that.

I am buying a known 1jz harness and ecu that was pulled from a running 2jz mk3. Spending a little extra is worth it knowing it actaully works.

p5150

Mar 31, 2005
Central Idaho
89_turborunner said:
Oh, and factory rings ($155). Now I am at $953. Is that a cheap rebuild?

I assume that you are going to hone the cylinders then? My 7M cylinder walls were in excellent condition still on my 200k 7M. Cross hatch was still visible.

That rebuild does sound relatively inexpensive, and a little bit closer to what I would expect to pay if everything was OK with the internals.

I opted out of the 7M block though - I think the 2jzge-t is a better option unless you already have a 7M setup (manifold etc.)

gilberjj

Friend of Fast
Apr 14, 2006
Tacoma, WA
haha, this is hilarious...... some of you guys get so worked up over stuff thats been covered a million times. maybe when i have 1000+ posts ill be a groucy veteran too. who knows. as for this thread, if you are planning on doing a swap yet you don't really know much about either engine, im seriously doubting that you have the knowledge and mechanical experience to do either swap and all the work yourself. i would love to see you prove me wrong though. as for all of these crazy high expensive estimates, it can be done for cheaper. look at this link
http://www.7mpower.com/john_lunsford.shtml
thats well over 400whp AND hes useing a stock intercooler AND stock injectors. you clearly haven't done much research, but whatever, if ppl don't want to post they don't have to. but seriously, i don't think it is very cost effective to put a 2j in a mkII when a 7m bolts up easy and stuff is cheaper for the 7m. but if you think the 2j is cheap, then just for for a tt v8 swap hahaha. check out this thread......

http://supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=388456

EVERYBODY CHECK OUT THIS THREAD ^^^^^

D

drumminforev

Ok so it looks like 7m is capable of 400whp with stock internals... whatis the limit of these stock internals now.

And for you

tubbie said:
Cost, Since your going into an MK2, you will neeed everything.
7MGTE
blown 7m engine - $500
New forged pistons and rings - $500
Bearings - $100
Block machine work - $350
Rebuilt head (stock) - $450
Metal HG - $120
ARP studs - $100
ARP rod bolts - $50
Harnness - $150
ECU - $75
Misc - $1000

Total = $3400

2JZGTE
engine - $2500
Harness - $300
ECU - $200
MISC - $1000
Total = $4200

All performance parts are virtually the same in price, so you can add the cost on top of this for both engines to whatever HP you desire.

That's just a rough estimate. In the end, you will probably spend a lot more.

Just my 34 cents.......

Try making that say

2JZGE engine (harness and ecu included) - $500
Full Turbo kit - $1000
MISC - $1000
thicker hg - $250
spare mk4 auto tranny for sale - NEGATIVE ($200?)

Total = $3050

Which is cheaper and more powerful now?

D

drumminforev

Ok, new rings - woopdy do
new bearings? new valve seals etc seals. 200 extra .

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
CryoSlash said:
Umm you would have to be a complete fucking asshat to not rebuild the old 2JZ-GE and think it would handle the boost + high mileage reliably.
Tell that to these guys.

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=407411&highlight=NA-T+dyno

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=399048&highlight=NA-T+dyno

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=355654&highlight=NA-T+dyno

I could post more.

Stock block NA-Ts without a rebuild is not uncommon