drjonez

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
the motor city
www.4cefed.com
bigaaron said:
Ok, I take back what I was going to say before. :biglaugh:

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....

i think it's funny people get all bent out of shape over this. my "issues" w/the 1J + the A70 are pretty simple- the loss of .5L of disp in a 4k lb car and the perceived "weakness" of the 7M (due to idiots not maintaining them). the 1J is a fantastic engine....if you have a lighter car. in many ways it rivals the RB26DETT...but that's a diff discussion.

LordLo

Jun 20, 2006
OR
"It will cost about $8500 for a fully built 7m swap."

Well you'll need rods and pistons, $1000-2000 (but for your power goals the stock ones can hold up to the task). Metal hg, $150-$200. Rod/main Bearings -$200. Oil pump- $150. Water pump- $100. Head studs or bolts- $130. Seals- depends what what you want to replace, personally I'd get the front and rear seals from the dealer. Machine work- $1000-2000.

So for a fully built block which is capable of power, it can be as low as $2,500 or as high as $5000. Really depends on what you want. There is no one way to build a high powered engine.

BUT, you still need a big turbo afterwards. haha.

If you are looking for cheaper power, get a mustang. Pistons and rods almost go for half of what we pay for and we only get 6 pistons and rods vs the 8. haha.

MassSupra89

Almost done.
Nov 3, 2005
MA
OneJoeZee said:
it's not nitpicking. Your post was false, that's all.

Correct, I forgot a component. We can't all be perfect 100% of the time like some people.

Sorry drummin, Didn't mean to sound cocky. But you're telling us that the 7M is not capable of things that have been proven many times by people on this board. I just suggest looking into both engines first, what needs to be done, and what your goals are, before making the decision which to build.

Last edited:

LordLo

Jun 20, 2006
OR
drumminforev said:
So you are saying i can reliably (for more than 1 year) have 400hp without any oil system upgrades, no machine work, stock radiator, and stock turbo, stock pistons rods and valvetrain. Not ever having to worry and driving as hard as i want...

Stock engine internals yes you can have 400 HP for a year (if it's got good compression). Stock headgasket, you might be pushing your luck a little, but it's possible. Stock turbo, NO; stock turbo isn't going to push 400 WHP. The record I believe was around 365 hp. You'll need an upgraded turbo to get more power. Stock injectors and fuel pmp will need to be upgraded as well.

As for ever having to worry and driving as hard as you want.... that's not going to happen. No high performance engine is maintance free. You'll have to change out oil/spark plug/belts more often. Plus you'll have sensors fail along the way. That's a lot of bling bling. haha.

Besides getting the engine built is only half the battle. Tuning and supporting mods are the other half. It's a money pit. :biglaugh:

By then you'll want nicer rims, maybe a bodykit, or a new paint job... haha.

MRSUPRA

Apr 11, 2005
Maryland
"I dont plan on robbing the local performance shop. Please show me your parts and costs to how you only spent $3000 for a reliable 'over 400whp' 7m"

Cometic metal headgasket=$120
ARP headbolts=$99

Installed properly on a good engine, that will give you a bullet proof 400+RWHP capable engine. $3k with some used performance parts and a good turbo should get you 400rwhp without any problems.

Or you could get a used 2JZGTE and BPU it for about $1500 dollars and you would be lucky to get 400rwhp on pump gas.

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
MRSUPRA said:
Or you could get a used 2JZGTE and BPU it for about $1500 dollars and you would be lucky to get 400rwhp on pump gas.
BPU mods shouldn't add up to 1500.

what are you including in there and at what prices? bpu stuff can be under 500 easy.

Mr.PFloyd

I am the Super Devil
Jun 22, 2005
Mississauga, Ontario
OneJoeZee said:
BPU mods shouldn't add up to 1500.

what are you including in there and at what prices? bpu stuff can be under 500 easy.
BPU is such a loose term now i dont even know what they mean. I would assume, brandname downpipe, brand name exhaust, brand name intake and pipe, brand name electronic boost controller. i think that would hit roughly 1500.

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
CryoSlash said:
BPU is such a loose term now i dont even know what they mean. I would assume, brandname downpipe, brand name exhaust, brand name intake and pipe, brand name electronic boost controller. i think that would hit roughly 1500.
used parts, mbc instead. you don't need to spend 1500 just like you don't need to spend 8000 on a built 7M. see what I'm getting at? MRSUPRA gave pretty decent pricing on the 7M part but then top dollar on the 2J spending.

MassSupra89

Almost done.
Nov 3, 2005
MA
Downpipe+catback+intake+boost controller. I could see that being 1500 easy.
You can't even get a catback for 500. But BPU on a 2JZ will probably bring you to at least if not more than 400rwhp.

MRSUPRA

Apr 11, 2005
Maryland
Yeah its a very loose term. And most MK4 owners use brand name performance parts. Don't forget the BCC. I can see BPU costing as low as $1k, but I can't imagine what junkyard parts are used to get 400rwhp on $500.

MRSUPRA

Apr 11, 2005
Maryland
"But BPU on a 2JZ will probably bring you to at least if not more than 400rwhp."

In most cases, not on pump gas. The 2JZ ECU loves to pull timing on pump gas when the tiny twins start blowing hot air.

Mr.PFloyd

I am the Super Devil
Jun 22, 2005
Mississauga, Ontario
OneJoeZee said:
used parts, mbc instead. you don't need to spend 1500 just like you don't need to spend 8000 on a built 7M. see what I'm getting at? MRSUPRA gave pretty decent pricing on the 7M part but then top dollar on the 2J spending.
huh, you asked why BPU mods 'shouldn't' cost 1500 but i showed you they did. And thats what i was gettign at. it was irrelevant to what anyone had said up until then.

MRSUPRA

Apr 11, 2005
Maryland
"MRSUPRA gave pretty decent pricing on the 7M part but then top dollar on the 2J spending."

I was saying you could do it for $3k if you really wanted to. But in my case and many others its probably closer to $5-6k with new quality parts.

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
MassSupra89 said:
Downpipe+catback+intake+boost controller. I could see that being 1500 easy.
You can't even get a catback for 500. But BPU on a 2JZ will probably bring you to at least if not more than 400rwhp.
You can get a catback for less than 500... again, used parts or something custom would work fine.

I merely wanted to correct something MRSUPRA said and I did that and he understood it. Look, I'm not going to argue this post after post with you other two because I know it will go on and on and on from previous experience. BPU doesn't have to cost 1500, end of story.

irocznissan

May 28, 2006
nj
lol.. another one of these arguements lol...i personally like the 1j better than them all.. but thats just me