Costs in 7mgte vs 2jzgte

D

drumminforev

Lol im sure you do. its been proven that a 2jz head flow better on supraforums tho.

7Mboost

7M Powered
Aug 15, 2006
Gainesville, FL
Probley more cost effective for 7m but if you want more reliablity and when you want more power the #s add up quick and you gotta think how easily 2jz can make power, and hold almost 1000rwhp on stock internals.

MassSupra89

Almost done.
Nov 3, 2005
MA
I'm done with the argueing. It's mostly a matter of preferance. Both will make power, both will cost money, and work. Some will say the 7M is wasting your time, Others will say JZ swap is not worth the money. There are facts on both sides, It's more of what you want out of the engine and how much you're willing to put into it.

gixxer750

2jzget comingsoon!
Mar 30, 2005
Mississippi
a 2jz can make a thousand on stock internals.... and a 7m can make eight hundred. both have been done, but if you think either is going to last more than a few track runs or dyno pulls, you are sadly mistaken.

1988SupraDreams

Mar 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
I personally like all three engines. What I have is a 7M, And in this car, I wanna keep it a 7M because
#1 I live in California, so it's can be legalized putting a turbo 7M into my NA chassis, so I can DD it here in Pigville.
#2 Less work, as I am neither Rich or Mechanically inclined enough to go 1J or 2J
I seriously wouldn't mind slapping a 1J in a P-Type MkII though.
And I will always be jealous of my friends MkIV, because I like Supras, Wether they're 7m, 2j, 1j, 1g, or whatever. As long as it's a Toyota motor :biglaugh:
What it all comes down to is what YOU want. The owner will decide the fate of the engine and the car. Period.

Last edited:

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
so you see my point. smog legal is irrelevant to most all applications. :) This is my view.

Once you start modding, everything goes out the window and you're just as illegal as any 1J, 7M, or 2J with mods.

BorHor

2JZ-GZE
Jan 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
I was just making the point that it is smog legal. And I already do see that once you start modding it doesn't matter what engine you are running it is illegal.

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
it's only smog legal if you address every little thing that the bar ref is going to check to make a 2J swap in a MK3 smog legal which almost no one has ever bothered to do. just putting it in the car won't make it legal.

1988SupraDreams

Mar 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
I did that with my JDM 7M already. Wasn't really that hard. I came in with an EGR, EGR VSV, and BVSV. Told me to go get it smogged. Passed. Easy. Now registered as an 88 Turbo 5spd :D

NeatOman

Never know enough!
Oct 5, 2006
Addison, IL
Hey, if you owned you're car outright you won't have to worry about smog lol

There's a reason whys its a title (basically possession) and it's the states car in between owners (release of lien). Possession is 9/10 of the law.. and the state has the 1/10. So now you know there is a Lien on all of you're cars HA HA HA HA

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
drjonez said:
really? what do you do if you get pulled over/inspected?

I've popped my hood for a cop multiple times before. It looks stock, they don't know the difference. :dunno: maybe some do, but it's not like the 1J looks out of place in the Supra.

The only times I've been pulled over, it's because I gave them a reason to anyway. I've never been pulled over just because the car looked suspicious. guess I'm lucky. idk, but a lot of people drive their 1Js and 2Js around CA all the time. I hear it's a little rougher in norcal though. that place sucks anyway.

89supturbo

Jul 28, 2006
Delmar, NY
high psi 1jz said:
Probley more cost effective for 7m but if you want more reliablity and when you want more power the #s add up quick and you gotta think how easily 2jz can make power, and hold almost 1000rwhp on stock internals.

The current record is 1018rwhp on a stock block 2j, and just in case there is any question as to my preferance in motors 2j FTW