Costs in 7mgte vs 2jzgte

D

drumminforev

drjonez said:
not sure what planet you're living on, but a good condition stock 7M will handle just as much HP as the 2J. the biggest problem w/the 7M is lack of maintenance.....any 2J you see is quite a bit newer than the 7M in your car w/200k on it.

as for costs, you'll spend far more to swap in a 2JZ-GTE + electronics than it will cost to build the heck out of a 7M.

It will cost about $8500 for a fully built 7m swap. And it would cost about the same for a 2jz swap installed.

Lack of maintenance wont be considered in this because both will be freshly rebuilt. Why did toyota go through 2 more generations of motors if the 7m is fully capable of the same?

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
bowsercake said:
If you want a 2JZ get a MKIV.
tell that to the countless people that have put a 2j into a MKIII. its your car, do with it as you wish. i could care less if you put a honda motor in there. if you think that it is more cost friendly, then do so.

oh, BTW i would run the 2j off of 1j electronics. they plug in better to the MKIII chassis.

MassSupra89

Almost done.
Nov 3, 2005
MA
7M +
Intake & exhaust
LEX AFM
550's
SAFC
Walbro

Someone with some knowledge of tuning
=
400hp.
Do your research. If you think a stock internal'd 7M can't handle that, you have alot of learning to do.

D

drumminforev

This is going into a mk2 anyway. I don't fit in a mk3 unless I crank the seat back 180 degrees, ganster style.

So you are saying i can reliably (for more than 1 year) have 400hp without any oil system upgrades, no machine work, stock radiator, and stock turbo, stock pistons rods and valvetrain. Not ever having to worry and driving as hard as i want...

Why do you have to sound like a cocky bastard anyway? Like you are the shit because you know stuff....of course i have a lot of learning to do....thats why i am HERE in the first place

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
MassSupra89 said:
7M +
Intake & exhaust
LEX AFM
550's
SAFC
Walbro

Someone with some knowledge of tuning
=
400hp.
Do your research. If you think a stock internal'd 7M can't handle that, you have alot of learning to do.

link to stock CT26 turbo cars with 400hp?

drjonez

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
the motor city
www.4cefed.com
drumminforev said:
It will cost about $8500 for a fully built 7m swap. And it would cost about the same for a 2jz swap installed.

ahhhhhhhhhhhh. swapping into a MKII....

if you compare the 7M and the J block, there are several similar things:

-bulletproof block
-same construction crank
-same construction rods

the BIG difference comes in the head design....which won't matter unless you're going for a gazillion HP (ok fine, anything above 600ish....).

pistons- 7M having cast, 2J has coated hypereutectic pistons, i'm unsure about the 1J.

drumminforev said:
Lack of maintenance wont be considered in this because both will be freshly rebuilt. Why did toyota go through 2 more generations of motors if the 7m is fully capable of the same?

they really went through 1 more gen- the J block. the J block was DESIGNED to be a forced induction engine....the 7M got it more as an afterthought.

personally, i'd throw a 1J in a MKII and rev it to 10k.

MRSUPRA

Apr 11, 2005
Maryland
"How does u not need to be fully built? stock pistons, rods, fuel, intercooler, oil pump, etc will not handle 400whp on a 7m for long"

"It will cost about $8500 for a fully built 7m swap."

Drumminforev, please stop with the mis-information. I have been running over 3 years with over 400rwhp on stock internals. And the cost of a fully built 7M is closer to $3000 depending on parts used and what you want done.

MRSUPRA

Apr 11, 2005
Maryland
"the BIG difference comes in the head design....which won't matter unless you're going for a gazillion HP"

Actually the head design in the 2JZ is not that great also. Most heads from Honda, Nissan, and Mitsubishi are much higher flowing than the 2JZ head.

D

drumminforev

Because i have a fro and i dont like the feeling of my fro being squished against the roof every time i drive, having to pick it out again.

D

drumminforev

MRSUPRA said:
"How does u not need to be fully built? stock pistons, rods, fuel, intercooler, oil pump, etc will not handle 400whp on a 7m for long"

"It will cost about $8500 for a fully built 7m swap."

Drumminforev, please stop with the mis-information. I have been running over 3 years with over 400rwhp on stock internals. And the cost of a fully built 7M is closer to $3000 depending on parts used and what you want done.

I dont plan on robbing the local performance shop. Please show me your parts and costs to how you only spent $3000 for a reliable 'over 400whp' 7m