chrome sawblades?????

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Weatherford, Texas, United States
starscream5000 said:
Where the hell are you guys getting this "Aircraft paint stripper in an aerosol can"? I want some ;).

Got mine at O'reilleys Auto Parts. It's a blue can that says Aircraft in big letters and has a picture of a Lockheed L-1011 Tri-jet. BTW, don't get any on your skin, it burns...bad

mattjk

Permanent Ban
May 18, 2006
Huntington Beach
www.cardomain.com
gtsfirefighter said:
I've stripped my blades but still have some "stuff" on them I can't seem to get off. I don't know if it's primer or what. It's nowhere near as bad now as it is in the picture I've attached. I was able to get most of it with more applications of stripper but there is still some on it and no matter how much I scrub and reapply stripper it's still there. Does someone know what this is and tell me how to remedy it?

p526814_1.jpg
you have kumho tires... looks like someone kumho'd on your saws.

suprageezer

Aug 27, 2005
Southern California
When I stripped mine I found that when Toyota masked the wheel face for sand blasting of the slots they did a crappy job so I had these random sand blasted areas on the wheel face. When they come from the factory you don't see that due to the wheel face be painted. Maybe those areas that look nasty in the pics are areas that got blasted by sand due to a crappy factory masking job. Do they have the same surface roughness as the slots that are blasted? It would take some nasty chemistry to remove an amount of aluminum like that using stripper that's available in today's world. Making hideous marks yes but a large amount of material removal isn't likely.

yurikaze

Nov 22, 2006
Long Beach
They weren't sandblasted.
The rough finish in the slots is just rough casting.
Once the wheels were cast, Toyota would machine the face, smoothing it out, but leaving the rough surface in the slots.
From there, they would add one of 3 finishes for the US market.
1: Silver with silver cap.
2: White with white cap.
3. Slots masked and painted silver, while leaving the face machined and adding clearcoat. rare, I've only owned one set. they came on an unmodified 87 turbo, with the option listed on the window sticker.
It doesn't show up listed in the sales brochure however, but some of the pics show them.

Chrome or polished sawblades were sent out by the dealers to be stripped and either polished or plated, this still happens today. It's just something a dealer does to be able to mark up the price due to the option price being much more than it actually costs to plate the wheel.

Koenigturbo

Oct 4, 2006
Oxnard CA
I happen to have a set of chrome saw blades and yes they are factory I'm seeling them, they need to be refinished

themadhatter said:
to date i have seen 2 sets of what look to be crome sawblades i was just wondering was this some kind of option or is it somthing people have done?

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
gtsfirefighter said:
I did it once I saw that mirror finish underneath the paint.

The tires were cheap. I'm not made of money like the rest of independantly wealthy mo-fo's.

nothin wrong with kumho's I know vette owners than can afford whatever tire they want that use em...