Bluechulappa's 89Turbo restoration

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
Bluechulappa;1230148 said:
I know but if you look at the markings they are exactly the same as far as the H and L levels. the only thing is missing is the little tip on the bottom end. I would think it would read oil exactly the same way. Plus if I were to read no oil on the new dipstick but a tiny bit on the tip on the old stick I think I would already be royally fucked wouldn't you say?

i love my pre89 dipstick, and no youd just be fucked and SOL

Sside

May 20, 2008
Houston
Bluechulappa;1230171 said:
You would be in love with dipsticks.:nono:

Lol wow, Lincoln... You should cut the tip of your old dip stick amd super glue it to the new one or just leave them the same... See now they are both the same length :icon_bigg But really on a serious note I dont think Toyota would make faulty dipsticks that would not allow you to read oil levels in case you are out of oil.... Perhaps the extra long tip was not needed...

Last edited:

Sside

May 20, 2008
Houston
Bluechulappa;1230355 said:
Damn Toyota! Heh well I'm going to pick up the heads in a few hours after school and lunch. Update later!

You know how bobby hated all your head 1st and then liked one of emm... I hope he didnt confuse your heads with mine since you took soo many...:nono:

Bluechulappa

Jun 16, 2007
hOUSTON
www.houstonareasupras.com
Sside;1230377 said:
You know how bobby hated all your head 1st and then liked one of emm... I hope he didnt confuse your heads with mine since you took soo many...:nono:

Yea I gave bobby cash for the head. He said umm where is your head anyways. Then he whistled at the angry drunk russian looking guy, blind folded him, spun him around 3 times, drank a 5th of vodka and pointed at a 7mgte head. Bobby said and I quote, "You god damn drunk Russian POS, why do I even pay you! That's Patch's head but fuck it you can have it. It's Friday and I wanna get the hell out of this shit whole anyways. Oh and don't tell Patch about any of this."

So I just left with the heads they provided me with! :evil2:

Sside

May 20, 2008
Houston
Bluechulappa;1230546 said:
Yea I gave bobby cash for the head. He said umm where is your head anyways. Then he whistled at the angry drunk russian looking guy, blind folded him, spun him around 3 times, drank a 5th of vodka and pointed at a 7mgte head. Bobby said and I quote, "You god damn drunk Russian POS, why do I even pay you! That's Patch's head but fuck it you can have it. It's Friday and I wanna get the hell out of this shit whole anyways. Oh and don't tell Patch about any of this."

Wow, I went to Scroggins today to drop off my arp main studs but Tom was not there. Anyways when I was walking out Bobby ran towards me and tackled me to the floor while I was not looking and told me if I was gonna do the head inspection. I said maybe, but I want to take cams off and all that junk to save money.... Well when he went to get my head from the pile of 7mgte heads with a sign over them reading "7MGTE HEAD MOUNTAIN" I could alsmost asure there was a caged up drunk Russian guy... Anyways, when I got bk gome I decided I was too lazy to pull head apart myself soo I will take it bk monday to pay them to do it :D....

Bluechulappa

Jun 16, 2007
hOUSTON
Preview...
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Bluechulappa

Jun 16, 2007
hOUSTON
Head and a few other things got installed today! Broke a damn bolt on the oil pump strainer into the block when I was torquing it to toyota spec. Gotta figure out how I am going to extract it... So no oil pan yet... :3d_frown:

Sside

May 20, 2008
Houston
Bluechulappa;1231301 said:
Head and a few other things got installed today! Broke a damn bolt on the oil pump strainer into the block when I was torquing it to toyota spec. Gotta figure out how I am going to extract it... So no oil pan yet... :3d_frown:

Oh, I wouldnt try and extract it... Take it back to scroggins and have them do it... They are charging me like 30 bucks to extract a broken bolt on my head...

Bluechulappa

Jun 16, 2007
hOUSTON
Eh I've done it before... Will manage. I can't easily take it to them as the block and head are now matted! I will be very careful with it and if it looks hopeless I will have someone do it or disassemble and take it to them to extract. Gonna get up early tomorrow so I can go get a small metal drill bit. Hopefully I can get this bugger out. Also I found another broken off bolt into the front timing cover. It wasn't done by me. Must have been previous owner or shop. Its a bolt that holds a small bracket for the power steering pipe that runs in front of the timing cover. It had been FIPG'd previously to hold it looks like. So yea. At another stand still right now. Also missing like two exhaust manifold studs... :3d_frown: Got a box of mismatched parts from scroggins from several different heads so thats why they are missing :nono:

Sside

May 20, 2008
Houston
Bluechulappa;1231362 said:
Eh I've done it before... Will manage. I can't easily take it to them as the block and head are now matted! I will be very careful with it and if it looks hopeless I will have someone do it or disassemble and take it to them to extract. Gonna get up early tomorrow so I can go get a small metal drill bit. Hopefully I can get this bugger out. Also I found another broken off bolt into the front timing cover. It wasn't done by me. Must have been previous owner or shop. Its a bolt that holds a small bracket for the power steering pipe that runs in front of the timing cover. It had been FIPG'd previously to hold it looks like. So yea. At another stand still right now. Also missing like two exhaust manifold studs... :3d_frown: Got a box of mismatched parts from scroggins from several different heads so thats why they are missing :nono:

Hmm, interesting..... I have to take Scroggins a new timing Cover because one of the coolent pipes was "broken" but I kno I didnt break it.... Oh well I guess, maybe Butch had too much to drink before working on our engines or maybe the Russian guy did it....

Bluechulappa

Jun 16, 2007
hOUSTON
Got a few good things done today. I was missing some exhaust manifold studs from this head so I extracted two exhaust studs from my spare head!

On a more serious note. I stressing out big time over this broken bolt in my oil pan.

Patch

Aug 25, 2008
Houston
Bluechulappa;1230546 said:

Patch's head ftw.

Btw, I think you should leave the broken bolt in the block. Fuck it.

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
Bluechulappa;1231301 said:

52ft. lbs is not Toyota spec :sarcasm:

sm_photo_missing.jpg

hmmmmmmmmmm ;) for your future benifit

Last edited:

Bluechulappa

Jun 16, 2007
hOUSTON
So the guy that was going to extract my broken oil strainer bracket bolt didn't show up tonight so I said FUCK IT. I got the drill out and with lot of coaxing and talking to the engine, drilling, patience, threatening the engine by telling it, it was going to the junk yard and more drilling and sweat and very un-comfortable positions.... I got it out. I am so thrilled!
Here's the lil bugger...
p1232710_1.jpg

The hole... Threads are fine. I found a same size bolt and hand threaded it in and out several times with ease.
p1232710_2.jpg

After that I kissed the engine and took pictures of her sexiness! Work starts back up tomorrow!
p1232710_3.jpg

p1232710_4.jpg

p1232710_5.jpg

p1232710_6.jpg

Today was a Good day!
:icon_bigg

Bluechulappa

Jun 16, 2007
hOUSTON
So I discovered today that one of the holes on my new head where an exhaust manifold stud goes is all stripped out inside. There are 4 or 4 threads at the very back of the hole which might not be in to good condition. Any ideas on a fix? My dad suggested JB weld but I was just reading on their website that it is not recommended using in for exhaust manifolds since the jb weld is only up to 500 degrees F. Any thoughts?

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
Bluechulappa;1233270 said:
So I discovered today that one of the holes on my new head where an exhaust manifold stud goes is all stripped out inside. There are 4 or 4 threads at the very back of the hole which might not be in to good condition. Any ideas on a fix? My dad suggested JB weld but I was just reading on their website that it is not recommended using in for exhaust manifolds since the jb weld is only up to 500 degrees F. Any thoughts?

sm_photo_missing.jpg

lol um drill and tap for a slightly bigger stud. or if you can helicoil.