Bluechulappa's 89Turbo restoration

Sside

May 20, 2008
Houston
hks_trd;1220721 said:
Ah cool, wasnt sure if these guys arbitrarily say you need a valve job to make bucks or something

I dont think that they are trying to pull a fast one on people... They are perfectionist and with reason.. If I owned a shop were people brought me they're OLD worn out and beat up stuff then before I work on it I would like to make sure it is in conditions good enough to fix that way I dont have them coming back to me blaming me for something that was not my fault. When I took my block they explained to me why I had to replace pistons, and actually showed me why I needed a new crank but said Rods would do fine... They dont give warranty on the rebuilds of these blocks, but the experience these guys have on rebuilding these blocks speaks louder then words and it should be entirely up to how much the owner takes care of the fresh engine but I wouldnt risk saving 200$ to 400$ by not changing something that could go out shortly. Lets just eliminate all future problems that might cause my car 5 more months on jack stands...

Bluechulappa

Jun 16, 2007
hOUSTON
www.houstonareasupras.com
*UPDATE

Went to the machine shop today to talk to Bobby face to face to see what was up. He showed me all the heads. We looked at the 2nd head that was shaved for a 2mm hg (The one I bought from Patch!) That's the head I'm going with :)

I was worried about some pitting on the coolant passages but I brought my gasket with me. Bobby placed it on the head and used a pin to score where the piston walls would be. The do not conflict with anything. Bobby also measure the head from valve cover base to surface base, then compared to stock specs. He calculated out what my 2mm hg would be compared to the stock 1.37 hg and said it would almost zero out to stock ratios. Very close!

The warping on the top area was not as bad as he said it was on the phone. He showed me that they could correct it and straighten it out in the oven. I asked him what he recommended on doing and he said that straightening it really takes the integrity out of the aluminum and he recommended not doing that. He also said that he was seen way to many supra heads like this warping and it has never caused problems for folks unless they plan on pumping the boost in there like crazy! But I am not doing this with this rebuild so I'm all good!

So tomorrow they are going to start on a head job on that head and he is going to shave just a slight more off the surface to get it cleaned up more for my HKS MHG!

I am really relieved and excited about all this news today. Bobby was making it sound worse than it really was!

Sside

May 20, 2008
Houston
Bluechulappa;1221920 said:
*UPDATE

Went to the machine shop today to talk to Bobby face to face to see what was up. He showed me all the heads. We looked at the 2nd head that was shaved for a 2mm hg (The one I bought from Patch!) That's the head I'm going with :)

I was worried about some pitting on the coolant passages but I brought my gasket with me. Bobby placed it on the head and used a pin to score where the piston walls would be. The do not conflict with anything. Bobby also measure the head from valve cover base to surface base, then compared to stock specs. He calculated out what my 2mm hg would be compared to the stock 1.37 hg and said it would almost zero out to stock ratios. Very close!

The warping on the top area was not as bad as he said it was on the phone. He showed me that they could correct it and straighten it out in the oven. I asked him what he recommended on doing and he said that straightening it really takes the integrity out of the aluminum and he recommended not doing that. He also said that he was seen way to many supra heads like this warping and it has never caused problems for folks unless they plan on pumping the boost in there like crazy! But I am not doing this with this rebuild so I'm all good!

So tomorrow they are going to start on a head job on that head and he is going to shave just a slight more off the surface to get it cleaned up more for my HKS MHG!

I am really relieved and excited about all this news today. Bobby was making it sound worse than it really was!

I hope he dont put off working on my block for your head :aigo:

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
Lincoln is trying to get head from Scroggins but they keep on denying him ;) Lincoln i hope you didnt force Bobby to say you wanted to hear ;)

Sside

May 20, 2008
Houston
Bluechulappa;1222147 said:
Nah I just had him in a strangle choke hold, then I drop kicked his ass!

Lol, and you prob left out the ShotGun pointed at his head...The other Head... since he said yours was messed up I am sure you decided it was time to make things even muahaha......:icon_evil

Sside

May 20, 2008
Houston
Bluechulappa;1222153 said:
"He better not get in my face cause I'll drop that mutha fucka!" ~ Step Brothers

You keep forgetting bout his BIG ASS brother... Tom could put your engine back in with his bare hands...

Sside

May 20, 2008
Houston
JDMMA70;1222160 said:
and torque everything to spec

lmao, yeah.... I think so. He said he broke my crank bolt loose with his mouth and then when he pulled it out his sweet tooth started hurting soo he broke my poor little 6m crank in half soo I had 2 get a new one... :(

Bluechulappa

Jun 16, 2007
hOUSTON
www.houstonareasupras.com
To long without any pics!
Rebuilt block awaiting it's head... :1zhelp:
sm_photo_missing.jpg

DM stainless braided turbo oil lines:aigo:
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Now just need a nice pretty new turbo to go with them!

Piece of plastic junk I found in my attic:nono:
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Frozen morning in Houston Texas
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Patch

Aug 25, 2008
Houston
Whoo! My head ftw! How about an itrader rating? (They do that on this forum, right?) lol.

Still got the 57 trim for grabs.... and some 550cc injectors, new starter, water pump, greddy catch can, arp flywheel bolts, a whole car being parted out, etc etc :D

HKS_TRD

Jul 21, 2007
Australia
Bluechulappa;1222547 said:
Piece of plastic junk I found in my attic:nono:
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Oh my now that is VERY VERY COOL

How much was that? I have been considering getting a new one but have had to focus on motor parts at the moment, though seeing that in its new state makes me feel I NEED one lol

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
hks_trd;1223114 said:
How much was that? I have been considering getting a new one but have had to focus on motor parts at the moment, though seeing that in its new state makes me feel I NEED one lol

I was quoted ~125 (USD) from my local Toyota dealer