Bluechulappa's 89Turbo restoration

Sside

May 20, 2008
Houston
Bluechulappa;1219568 said:
Thanks! Is there a maximum warpage for the camshaft journals? I'm trying to figure out why all the heads I have taken to this place are said to be warped on the top end where the cams are. The head surfaces are fine. But the top wtf? I can't find info on this!

Maybe they just want to make your life miserable.... Lets just face it, any head you take emm will be bad according to Ricky Bobby :icon_razz

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
Sside;1220212 said:
Maybe they just want to make your life miserable.... Lets just face it, any head you take emm will be bad according to Ricky Bobby :icon_razz

I wanna go fast! You ever thought of checking the deck for warpage yourself. Measure it and just ask can you remove the minimum and get the deck straight and clean for MHG?

Sside

May 20, 2008
Houston
Bluechulappa;1220333 said:
Amen

Derek: Are you saying I should settle on the best one they got?

Sside: Are you implying that Bobby, AKA Ricky Bobby is a perfectionist.

Well, Ricky Bobby made me get head 2wice... I was lucky the 2nd one was better then the 1st and I think I have good head waiting for me when I go back to scroggins... But I am sure Bobby gonna pop out with you need even better... You need to do valve Job or we aint gonna put it on block and such.. Ima just give him the specs and instructions I want on it and be on my way... And yeah, he is a perfectionist... Unless my valves are leaking then I wont change my head... Or I might just do the 450$ valve job they love to offer...

Bluechulappa

Jun 16, 2007
hOUSTON
www.houstonareasupras.com
Well he has said that all 3 of my first heads are leaking from valves. The last two he actually saw in the junkyard and said a plug for the cam shaft was missing and cannot be replaced? And the other one he looked at and said he could tell it was no good? I mean come on... WTF

Sside

May 20, 2008
Houston
Bluechulappa;1220345 said:
Well he has said that all 3 of my first heads are leaking from valves. The last two he actually saw in the junkyard and said a plug for the cam shaft was missing and cannot be replaced? And the other one he looked at and said he could tell it was no good? I mean come on... WTF

Ah, Well... My experience with them was not good either on the head part.... I took my original head and bobby looked at it and Immediately said it looked really good... I was happy this was not gonna be an expensive job for my HG change some months back... 3 days later bobby calls me and tells me I have leaky valves and that its warped... They said it would do with the valve job and if they grinded to minumum specs... So a 70$ lap and clean turned into 450$ plus 70$ on my head... I just plain and simple couldnt afford it soo I came here and posted on parts wanted tha I needed head and got all kinds of great offers it was hard 2 choose one but I finally decided on a member... I bought it for 70$ and he said this head was in good shape that he knew of and that I should just atleast lap it to make sure. I took it to scroggins and told him just clean it and lap it... I trust the guy who sold it to me... Thing is when they do a valve leak test they charge.... At the end I payed them 135 bucks... like 45 for the other they "checked" and then 40 something plus 40 sum of cleaning and checking for w/e is wrong with it.. I dont know wht to tell you except that you cant take the risk I did on a new fresh engine like that... I think you are against the wall on the 450$ valve job if you dont find a head in good shape... not one that will do but in good shape... Bobby was not too thrilled I gave him orders on just lapping my other head and he acts like a lil B@#h when I go... He acts like if he is 8... Anyways, I fear I will get the same news right after my engine is done in 2 weeks... In fact im 65% sure they will tell me same $hit they told you... Make sure they are not charging you to check all these heads...Worst case would be you have 2 do the 450$ job and grind to the minumum specs... In this case my head is still up for grabs because in all honesty it still sounds better then all the ones you have taken him with just a "slight valve leak" according to RIcky Bobby... Only reason I didnt use it was because I was using a normal non metal head gasket... I kno a yard who has bout 4 of these supras... I need 2 go get some parts sometime this upcoming week... You can go if you want and try to find another head... Keep looking, give it one more shot b4 u go to plan B...

Last edited:

Sside

May 20, 2008
Houston
Bluechulappa;1220473 said:
Well I only told him to do a leak and crack test on the first two. So any after that I am not paying for cause I did not authorize. I'm tempted to try another shop for the head. I think this guy is a bit on the ANAL side!

Anal force is strong with bobby thats for sure... Hopefully they dont expect you to pay for the other 3...

Bluechulappa

Jun 16, 2007
hOUSTON
www.houstonareasupras.com
Hey also I would like to go see some other heads at the place you are talking of. My school starts monday though and will be going mon wed fri for school like half days. I want to have the machine shop check the head before I buy it though.

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
Here if you don't want to machine your head find a really straight head and buy a lapping plate and some lapping compound and go to town. Besides how is bobby going to know if your head is good or not if he doesn't check them that's like me bringing them my block and asking them to check if its any good for free. But seriously why don't you just follow the tsrm guide yourself and tell bobby what YOU want instead of complaining here. That's just my $.02.....

~JDMMA70

Sside

May 20, 2008
Houston
JDMMA70;1220496 said:
Here if you don't want to machine your head find a really straight head and buy a lapping plate and some lapping compound and go to town. Besides how is bobby going to know if your head is good or not if he doesn't check them that's like me bringing them my block and asking them to check if its any good for free. But seriously why don't you just follow the tsrm guide yourself and tell bobby what YOU want instead of complaining here. That's just my $.02.....

~JDMMA70

:kickinthenuts:

HKS_TRD

Jul 21, 2007
Australia
Someone should put this head place to the test, take a head that you KNOW is fine to them, and see if they tell you it needs a valve job, that would be interesting.

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
hks_trd;1220697 said:
Someone should put this head place to the test, take a head that you KNOW is fine to them, and see if they tell you it needs a valve job, that would be interesting.

thats been done already by a few of our members...

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
hks_trd;1220714 said:
What was the outcome of this?

Sside took them another head and it checked out ok no valves were leaking and when they measured it had never been machined and Bobby gave the ok saying he could take the minimum off and it would still keep the compression ratio around stock as he (Sside) was using a OEM HG. Bobby didnt like the first head Sside brought because it would drive the compression ratio high above stock with the OEM HG and reccommended a MHG if Sside chose to use the head, but also pointed out the block should be machined too.

Rob (doesnt post here) bought another head because he wanted to swap heads all in one day without having to wait to get the one on the car machined. He mentioned no problems and that the head needed a valve job so he got it done, but other than that the head checked out fine for a OEM spec HG.

Sside now has his motor being rebuilt by this shop and they already know hes going to be using a MHG and that they come in different thicknesses. They are just waiting for him to bring his new pistons down along with the gaskets.

~JDMMA70